Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

4 minutes ago, territhemayor said:

Is there anything I should do once I get into a program? Duke sent me a welcome letter from the DGS. Should I respond with a thank you or just radio silence until I have something to say?

either. I didn't respond to the first email sent out (took me a week to get over the shock that I was admitted somewhere), but have responded to all emails since with a simple "thank you, see you at the open house."

1 hour ago, Monody said:

Why can't the PSU DGS be less nice. This only makes the decision harder.

Honestly Monody, there is very little that should persuade you to choose PSU over Columbia. Columbia beats it by virtually every metric imaginable. 

5 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Honestly Monody, there is very little that should persuade you to choose PSU over Columbia. Columbia beats it by virtually every metric imaginable. 

Except affordability, of course. But far from being the most important metric.

16 minutes ago, jamesdilla said:

does anyone know what to make of the feb 23 and march 1 acceptances at columbia last year? they didn't mention being moved off the waitlist. 

I looked on last years version of this topic and the person claiming it said that Columbia apologised and claimed they simply missed emailing the person when they were meant to. I don't know if they just said that or if we do still have hope :-/

45 minutes ago, LarryLondon said:

I looked on last years version of this topic and the person claiming it said that Columbia apologised and claimed they simply missed emailing the person when they were meant to. I don't know if they just said that or if we do still have hope :-/

Yeah, i know the consensus is "if you haven't heard then you're out" but i think it's best to wait it out and see. I have friends who applied to many of the schools mentioned here and received acceptances  weeks after  a cluster  of acceptances went out. :huh:

45 minutes ago, GradNYC said:

Yeah, i know the consensus is "if you haven't heard then you're out" but i think it's best to wait it out and see. I have friends who applied to many of the schools mentioned here and received acceptances  weeks after  a cluster  of acceptances went out. :huh:

That. I'll take that. Better than my alternative fantasy that people haven't been responding to me because my application is so bad that they really see no need to reach out at all, lol.

But honestly, it makes me wonder if someone is diverting my emails. I think I broke the refresh button.

4 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

That. I'll take that. Better than my alternative fantasy that people haven't been responding to me because my application is so bad that they really see no need to reach out at all, lol.

But honestly, it makes me wonder if someone is diverting my emails. I think I broke the refresh button.

Personally think graduate schools should send all offers by owl tbh

3 hours ago, Monody said:

Why can't the PSU DGS be less nice. This only makes the decision harder.

Well, like someone else said, you got into Columbia.  So it would be great (and this goes for all you other PSU admits!), if you don't think you'll accept, there are a lot of us (hint,hint) who might want your spot (hint, hint), so, um, like, try to tell them that soon-ish??? :)

6 minutes ago, changeisgood said:

...must refresh email...

...must work on thesis...

...must refresh email...

...must work on thesis...

Man, I'd like a thesis to work on right now.