PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

On 2/19/2017 at 10:46 AM, Ravenclaw said:

Does anyone have any updates for Hopkins Health Behavior and Society (Social and Behavioral)? They're the only school I'm waiting to hear from. When I called and asked, they said I should hear "within two weeks, but sooner rather than later" and that was about two weeks ago.

Letters went out yesterday. Have you heard back??

11 minutes ago, light10491 said:

Anyone else get an email just now from MINNESOTA?

They may release results in mid-April due to funding issues with AHRQ. Just wondering if they emailed everyone, or only those potentially admitted/waitlisted.

I received the email. Although federal funding doesn't apply to supporting international students like me, everyone is definitely affected by current climate. Minnesota is my first choice because it funds international students. 

Hope everything gets better soon. Best of luck to everyone!!

38 minutes ago, light10491 said:

Anyone else get an email just now from MINNESOTA?

They may release results in mid-April due to funding issues with AHRQ. Just wondering if they emailed everyone, or only those potentially admitted/waitlisted. 

I didn't get the email, though I have already been admitted. From talking with them, they aren't sure what's going on with AHRQ funding but it sounds like they have a backup plan for those admitted so far. So maybe they're hoping to admit a few more if AHRQ comes through.

Edited by thetemp

I'm new to posting here, but I've been lurking. I was admitted last year to Johns Hopkins Health Policy and Management department in the health and public policy concentration and deferred my admission until this fall. I'm not sure if anyone else here applied specifically to that department, but I can tell you that this year you are being notified a lot later than last year. Last year, I got an email from the concentration director on Feb 1st and got my formal letter about 2 days later. This year, I'm still waiting to hear about funding for this fall, so I can tell you that the official letters haven't gone out yet as far as I know. But I'm not sure about the other concentrations. 

Edited by JHUHealthPublicPolicy

29 minutes ago, light10491 said:

Actually, JHU HPM PhD decisions were sent out a few weeks ago (e.g., acceptance, rejection, waitlist).

Are you sure they've all been sent out? I don't see any acceptances on the results page, and was told last week from somebody at JHU that decisions are coming soon.

4 hours ago, light10491 said:

Actually, JHU HPM PhD decisions were sent out a few weeks ago (e.g., acceptance, rejection, waitlist). They're taking in a lot fewer folks this year than before, probably put a big chunk on waitlist until funding is more determined.

There are 4 concentrations in the department. I saw some from health services and maybe bioethics? but not from health and public policy. As far as I know those haven't gone out yet, because they haven't decided the funding offers. I had to ask the office how it works since I won't be getting a normal admission letter since I deferred, and they said it would be similar but it wouldn't be until closer to the end of the month. 

Last year there were 12 people admitted across the department: 2 in bioethics, 2 in economics, 4 in health services, and 4 in health and public policy + 1 who deferred from the previous year, so 13 total. I don't know how many it will be total if they are admitting fewer and which concentrations will have fewer students or if it will be all. 

46 minutes ago, JHUHealthPublicPolicy said:

There are 4 concentrations in the department. I saw some from health services and maybe bioethics? but not from health and public policy. As far as I know those haven't gone out yet, because they haven't decided the funding offers. I had to ask the office how it works since I won't be getting a normal admission letter since I deferred, and they said it would be similar but it wouldn't be until closer to the end of the month. 

Last year there were 12 people admitted across the department: 2 in bioethics, 2 in economics, 4 in health services, and 4 in health and public policy + 1 who deferred from the previous year, so 13 total. I don't know how many it will be total if they are admitting fewer and which concentrations will have fewer students or if it will be all. 

Yeah, there are waitlists and rejections but no actual acceptances in HPM on the results page.

I was REALLY hoping to hear something today. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Waiting on 6 of 8 schools still... My two rejections both came on Wednesdays so I'm expecting something tomorrow... here we go again! good luck to everyone :)

9 hours ago, SocialPubHealth said:

I was REALLY hoping to hear something today. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Waiting on 6 of 8 schools still... My two rejections both came on Wednesdays so I'm expecting something tomorrow... here we go again! good luck to everyone :)

I keep checking every portal and email every hour. I hope we both hear something today!!

On 2/20/2017 at 6:28 AM, aj_h said:

I was actually interviewing for management. But I agree -- considering how few students they admit, I really have no idea what to expect. I'm trying to not have my hopes too high, since it is definitely my top choice. 

I also interviewed for mgmt. Maybe we'll be in the same cohort! 

10 minutes ago, Hopeful17 said:

Just got an email from Harvard GSAS to check the portal. PHS - SBS track. I'm terrified to actually check.

I didn't get that email and I'm in the same track :( I just logged on but it doesnt show anything differently.

Just now, Hopeful17 said:

I had to pace around my desk for a second, but I'm on the waitlist. At least I know it's not a flat out "no" just yet lol. Hopefully you guys all hear soon!

Where exactly on the portal does it state your status? Mine is still "submitted" and thats it... nothing in messages or anything

4 minutes ago, Hopeful17 said:

I had to pace around my desk for a second, but I'm on the waitlist. At least I know it's not a flat out "no" just yet lol. Hopefully you guys all hear soon!

Congrats!  I haven't heard anything for GHP... at this point I'm assuming implicit rejection :).  Has anyone heard from GHP?

Edited by T7879

Just now, SocialPubHealth said:

Where exactly on the portal does it state your status? Mine is still "submitted" and thats it... nothing in messages or anything

There's a link that pops up under your recommendation providers that says "Your application decision is now available online". 

1 minute ago, Hopeful17 said:

There's a link that pops up under your recommendation providers that says "Your application decision is now available online". 

Thanks... I dont have that link. I knew I would be rejected anyways. Just gonna accept it at this point... Congrats on your waitlist!!! all the best to you!!