PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

On 2/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, larky said:
On 2/2/2017 at 10:18 AM, EpidemHopeful said:

Just chiming here to say I don't think we should expect news from Harvard this week or even next. The program coordinator told me that they have to get their decisions approved by the University, and they expect that will happen in "late February". Waiting is tough but I hope that helps!

3 minutes ago, health_policy2017 said:

Just chiming here to say I don't think we should expect news from Harvard this week or even next. The program coordinator told me that they have to get their decisions approved by the University, and they expect that will happen in "late February". Waiting is tough but I hope that helps!

Yes, my understanding from a program coordinator was the week of February 20, although timeline is up to GSAS.

10 minutes ago, health_policy2017 said:

8 minutes ago, cga said:

Yes, my understanding from a program coordinator was the week of February 20, although timeline is up to GSAS.

Do you guys mean for HPM or for PHS?

22 hours ago, T7879 said:

I was accepted to UNC epi about two weeks ago but they mentioned mine was an early admit. I think it's rolling. I was at Emory epi interviews last week and not everyone there had heard back from UNC yet. I applied November 11

I only applied mid Dec to UNC, so hopefully the next couple of weeks will bring something! 

1 hour ago, cga said:

Also, UNC HB stated that all of the decisions have been made and they are awaiting graduate school approvals. Students should receive a notification by the end of next week, at the latest. 

This is good to know!! I was really hoping I'd hear back today, but I'm happy to know a decision is coming soon. Thanks!

For fellow applicants who applied for Columbia Epi, I got interviewed this morning with one professor from the admission committee (not POI) and was told that there will be ~12 slots this year. They will finalize the list next week, but the results will 'likely take another week to get to the students'. Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, BakinSoda said:

For fellow applicants who applied for Columbia Epi, I got interviewed this morning with one professor from the admission committee (not POI) and was told that there will be ~12 slots this year. They will finalize the list next week, but the results will 'likely take another week to get to the students'. Hope this helps!

I imagine 12 slots translates to twice as many offers. I'm not very optimistic though as I haven't been offered an interview. Any thoughts?

Edited by marcphoenix

ESS and political analysis have also done some interviews for Harvard health policy. Each track only has 1-2 students per year. I'm not sure how many acceptances that means, but probably not a whole lot more. It sounds like the biggest hurdle is getting the interview. For decision timeline, my understanding was also late or possibly mid February. 

i just got an email from  Hopkins -

"We are delighted to inform you that your application for admission to the following program has been sent for review: 

PhD in Health Policy and Management (Health Services Research and Policy) for Fall (August) 2017

Best wishes to you and your application! "

I don't know what it means in this last hour... I guess they are going to take a look at my application now.. I was thinking my chances are over but this brings back the hope... :-|

42 minutes ago, kl_sn said:

"We are delighted to inform you that your application for admission to the following program has been sent for review: 

PhD in Health Policy and Management (Health Services Research and Policy) for Fall (August) 2017

I don't know what it means in this last hour... I guess they are going to take a look at my application now.. I was thinking my chances are over but this brings back the hope... :-|

That's interesting, I thought they sent out acceptances and rejections last week, and only took 3 students for HSRP.

Edited by light10491

5 hours ago, light10491 said:

That's interesting, I thought they sent out acceptances and rejections last week, and only took 3 students for HSRP.

I was thinking the same and waiting for my rejection letter.. I'm puzzled!! Anyways I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. 

On 2/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, kl_sn said:

Interesting. I received this same email December 22, which was a few weeks after I'd submitted the application. Let's definitely keep the hope alive... in my correspondence with somebody from JHU over the weekend, it sounds like the rest of the decisions could come within the next week or so. 

Edited by thetemp
It was actually a few weeks after I submitted the app

Undergrad School:  ECU

Grad School:University of South Carolina
Major/Minor:  MPH
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Experience/Research: 2 yrs as a Fiscal Analyst for SCHHS, 1.5 years PricewaterhouseCoopers risk consultant, CDC Millennial Health Leaders delegate, 1 yr of health policy research. Interested in healthcare organization and delivery, implementation science, organization behavior,health equity.

Applied:  Health Services Policy & Management: UNC
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Edited by chloens

1 hour ago, thetemp said:

Interesting. I received this same email December 22, which was about a week after I'd submitted the application. Let's definitely keep the hope alive... in my correspondence with somebody from JHU over the weekend, it sounds like the rest of the decisions could come within the next week or so. 

I got the e-mail from Hopkins on Dec 4th. Complete silence since then. 

2 hours ago, T7879 said:

Anyone else interview at Emory for epidemiology last week and get an email?  I got rejected and I was hoping to find out how many they ended up accepting. 

So sorry to hear this! :( I also received an e-mail from them this morning and was placed on the waitlist. I'm not sure how many they accept, and they didn't even mention how many people were on the waitlist or my position on it (I was honestly a little too scared to ask - does anyone else have experience with this?)

11 minutes ago, SDOHEpi said:

So sorry to hear this! :( I also received an e-mail from them this morning and was placed on the waitlist. I'm not sure how many they accept, and they didn't even mention how many people were on the waitlist or my position on it (I was honestly a little too scared to ask - does anyone else have experience with this?)

Congrats on the wait list!  Yeah I'm disappointed but I've gotten into other schools so I'll be okay. I was just really impressed with Emory!  I remember them saying 8-12 would be accepted so I don't know how many they would put on the waitlist. Surprised they didn't tell you your position on it