PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

1 hour ago, lws007168 said:

Nothing from UW Global Health. Still waiting...

It looks like last year they had 2 rounds of interviews and were hearing about the second round in early Feb.... I had one Skype call 1/10 but haven't heard anything since....

22 hours ago, policy2017 said:

Just got rejected from Hopkins HPM so watch your email if you applied there!

sorry to hear that... i've applied for the same program but still to hear back from them.. 

Edited by kl_sn

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, thetemp said:

Also just received an acceptance at Minnesota (Health Services Research, Policy, and Administration). This turned out to be an eventful Friday for me. Hope others received good news today as well!

Hi thetemp, Congrats on your acceptance at Minnesota!! I also applied there and am curious if they conduct interviews for Health Services Research program. Based on the results posted for previous years, it seems that they sent out acceptance in waves, but many things changed this application cycle for many programs. So do you know if they still offer around 12 acceptance this year and send them out in waves?

Thank you very much. Hope your interviews went/goes well!

5 minutes ago, HRS2017app said:

Hi thetemp, Congrats on your acceptance at Minnesota!! I also applied there and am curious if they conduct interviews for Health Services Research program. Based on the results posted for previous years, it seems that they sent out acceptance in waves, but many things changed this application cycle for many programs. So do you know if they still offer around 12 acceptance this year and send them out in waves?

Thank you very much. Hope your interviews went/goes well!

Thanks! I was accepted without doing an interview at Minnesota. And I'm not sure if they're sending out any more acceptances or how many they intend to admit - sorry! I've been told that a faculty member is going to reach out to me sometime soon to chat so if I learn anything relevant during that time I'll be sure post here.

3 minutes ago, thetemp said:

Thanks! I was accepted without doing an interview at Minnesota. And I'm not sure if they're sending out any more acceptances or how many they intend to admit - sorry! I've been told that a faculty member is going to reach out to me sometime soon to chat so if I learn anything relevant during that time I'll be sure post here.

Thank you for providing the information. It's very helpful. Hope my application is still on their list. Waiting is painful... Thanks again!

I got rejected by Hopkins for the PhD in HPM. But I got into their Masters for Health Economics. I know this thread is for PhD, but what do you guys think of this masters in terms of value, reputation, likelihood of getting into the PhD program. Sorry if I shouldn't be asking this.

3 hours ago, light10491 said:

I got rejected by Hopkins for the PhD in HPM. But I got into their Masters for Health Economics. I know this thread is for PhD, but what do you guys think of this masters in terms of value, reputation, likelihood of getting into the PhD program. Sorry if I shouldn't be asking this.

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Do they offer any funding for the Masters program? I don't know much about the program, but I believe some alumni are now PhD students at Harvard and UPenn. So make of that what you will.

6 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Quick question. On the results page, what do people mean by "GPA is MS" or "GPA is MA"?  That the GPA they were accepted with was from their master's rather than undergrad or what?

I think it means that the GPA they posted with the results (hover over the red diamond) is from a masters rather than undergrad. 

I got rejected from Brown HSR last week, and interviewed for UNC HB last week of Jan. Still haven't heard from them. Did anyone else hear from UNC Health Behavior department? Also is anyone here applying straight to PhD after undergrad? If so, what schools are you considering?

1 hour ago, stereopticons said:

I think it means that the GPA they posted with the results (hover over the red diamond) is from a masters rather than undergrad. 

Thank you!  I've been looking at it on mobile so I hadn't seen that feature. Thanks! 

On 1/31/2017 at 2:56 PM, SocialPubHealth said:

Hi all, curious to know how many folks out there applied to the same programs as I did? 

Harvard - Population Health Sciences

UCLA - Community Health Sciences

Pittsburgh, Hopkins, Emory, Columbia, CUNY, NYU - Similar depts. 

Hi all, 

Applied to
Hopkins-Social and behavioral sciences in the Health, Behavior, and Society Dept.

NYU: Social and behavioral sciences

Columbia: Sociomedical

Pittsburgh: Behavioral and Community Health Sciences. Got an email for an interview with Pitt next week.

Edited by Genly_Ai

On 1/31/2017 at 6:25 PM, policy2017 said:

I'm Sociomed at Columbia, but I got that email about financial aid too. I wish I knew what it meant, if it went to everyone who applied or not.

Same here, also applied for Sociomed at Columbia and got the financial aid email. No idea what it means in terms of admission.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:15 AM, xyzpsych said:

Hi I'm also an international student. Try rolling admission program. U Memphis and U Maryland both do. Good luck!

Thanks for this info

6 hours ago, light10491 said:

That sounds like a great option! It's easy to take classes across departments/programs at Bloomberg, so you could get to know faculty in HPM and improve your chances. It would also be worth asking them if any of their Health Economics students go on to do the HPM PhD

Edited by larky

1 hour ago, nycpizza said:

I got rejected from Brown HSR last week, and interviewed for UNC HB last week of Jan. Still haven't heard from them. Did anyone else hear from UNC Health Behavior department? Also is anyone here applying straight to PhD after undergrad? If so, what schools are you considering?

I am! I applied to epi programs. I'm from California and prefer not to leave, so I mostly applied to California schools and just a few really good out-of-state programs: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD/SDSU, Harvard, UNC, Emory. I applied to UC Irvine's MS program as back up. 

1 hour ago, nycpizza said:

I also interviewed with UNC HB, but haven't heard back. Keeping my fingers crossed!

51 minutes ago, Genly_Ai said:

Hi all, 

Applied to
Hopkins-Social and behavioral sciences in the Health, Behavior, and Society Dept.

NYU: Social and behavioral sciences

Columbia: Sociomedical

Pittsburgh: Behavioral and Community Health Sciences. Got an email for an interview with Pitt next week.

Applied to the same dept at Hopkins, but haven't heard anything. When I spoke with someone in the dept, she said decisions should be sent out within two weeks and sooner, rather than later. That was two days ago.

48 minutes ago, joshre01 said:

Anyone here accepted to the Ohio State Epi PhD? When did you apply/hear back? Just wondering how long they take to make their decisions!

I received an acceptance early last week, but my situation might be different since I graduated from there. I recommend checking the website though because the decision was posted on there prior to receiving the acceptance email. I applied a week or so before the 12/1 deadline, and I think they started looking at my application the 2nd week of Jan. Good luck! 

On a related note, has anybody heard anything from the UCLA, BU, UNC Epi PhD programs? I am not sure if they conduct interviews. 

Edited by modifer

6 minutes ago, modifer said:

I received an acceptance early last week, but my situation might be different since I graduated from there. I recommend checking the website though because the decision was posted on there prior to receiving the acceptance email. I applied a week or so before the 12/1 deadline, and I think they started looking my application the 2nd week of Jan. Good luck! 

On a related note, has anybody heard anything from the UCLA, BU, UNC Epi PhD programs? I am not sure if they conduct interviews. 

I emailed the admin at BU earlier in the week and he said interview invites will go out this week. I haven't heard anything other than that though.