PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

9 hours ago, Equipoise17 said:

Interviews are going to be conducted during the visit day at the end of February 

9 hours ago, joshre01 said:

I also wasn't invited to the interview so I assumed I didn't make it to the shortlist!

Thanks--Equipoise17..

You are not alone there, joshre01 ...so I guess I didn't cut it either...

I also applied to some UK programs...hopefully there will be some good news...

9 hours ago, sammyo said:

Undergrad School:  KSU, Nigeria
Major/Minor:  Theater Arts       

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Grad School:  Northern Iowa
Experience/Research: 3 term papers, one ethnography experience, thesis, 8 years of work experience in professional environments

Grad GPA: 3.4

Applied:  Cornell, Oklahoma 
Accepted: 0
Rejected: both 
Waitlisted: none 

I should have applied to other programs. Any idea on schools still accepting applications?

Hi I'm also an international student. Try rolling admission program. U Memphis and U Maryland both do. Good luck!

Also, for Harvard PHS I heard that each department has to come up with their list, and then the overall PHS committee has to meet and finalize their decisions - and that should be happening within the next couple of weeks. ( I applied for GHP)

32 minutes ago, tre__ said:

Also, for Harvard PHS I heard that each department has to come up with their list, and then the overall PHS committee has to meet and finalize their decisions - and that should be happening within the next couple of weeks. ( I applied for GHP)

Good to know!! Where did you hear this? 

1 hour ago, tre__ said:

Has anyone heard from UW Global Health (Metrics/ Implementation Science) or Hopkins International Health (Health Systems)?

33 minutes ago, tre__ said:

I haven't heard back from Hopkins International Health (GDEC) or Harvard GHP.  Can I ask where you heard that info on the Harvard GHP decisions - did you call the school?   Thanks :)

I was contacted for a Skype call on Jan 24/25 (I posted on the results page) . It was only 2 questions long and the connection was really bad, so it's hard to call it an interview :/ ... But that's the timeline they gave. That's the only info I have...

13 minutes ago, tre__ said:

I was contacted for a Skype call on Jan 24/25 (I posted on the results page) . It was only 2 questions long and the connection was really bad, so it's hard to call it an interview :/ ... But that's the timeline they gave. That's the only info I have...

Congrats!  Yeah I wasn't contacted for an interview but I had Skyped with quite a few professors back in the fall when I was figuring out my application... it's my top choice so I'm anxious to find out!

6 minutes ago, APK1942 said:

heard from UofPittsburgh earlier, accepted! applied on deadline day (1/15).

Hi APK1942, did you get an email? I also applied 1/15 but haven't heard anything and getting super anxious. What's your field of interest?

8 minutes ago, joshre01 said:

Hi APK1942, did you get an email? I also applied 1/15 but haven't heard anything and getting super anxious. What's your field of interest?

hey, yeah found out via e-mail this morning. I chose environmental epidemiology as my area of focus, also I think Pitt sends out acceptances in waves, I saw a handful of people over the past years finding out late Feb, sometimes March. What's your field of interest?

32 minutes ago, APK1942 said:

hey, yeah found out via e-mail this morning. I chose environmental epidemiology as my area of focus, also I think Pitt sends out acceptances in waves, I saw a handful of people over the past years finding out late Feb, sometimes March. What's your field of interest?

Mine is social epidemiology - I really have high hopes for Pitt! Do you know who you will be working with? 

2 hours ago, APK1942 said:

Hi APK1942, which track did you apply for at Hopkins? I had an interview as well, now am waiting for the results. It is torturing me.  

5 minutes ago, Tigrelis said:

Got rejected from hopkins this morning for infectious disease epi but my friend was rejected last week. Seems like they are sending them out in waves.

I would agree, I got rejected from Hopkins for ID epi as well, but that was three weeks ago.

Anyone here back from Michigan HSOP? They said they released some decisions, some more left.

Isn't Michigan supposed to be the best HPM PhD alongside Harvard and Hopkins? I don't know too much about positioning and which are the "best" or most "selective" in the public health space, wish I knew so I could know my chances.

8 minutes ago, light10491 said:

Anyone here back from Michigan HSOP? They said they released some decisions, some more left.

Isn't Michigan supposed to be the best HPM PhD alongside Harvard and Hopkins? I don't know too much about positioning and which are the "best" or most "selective" in the public health space, wish I knew so I could know my chances.

I haven't heard back from Michigan.

And it depends on who you talk to, but my general impression is that the "top 3" would be Harvard, Hopkins, and Michigan for HPM. There's some nuance and variation when you consider specific "core" disciplines within HPM and health services research in general. For example, I think if you're talking health economics a strong case could be made for including UPenn in the top list (though not clear which school you'd replace it with... certainly not Harvard!).

5 hours ago, joshre01 said:

Mine is social epidemiology - I really have high hopes for Pitt! Do you know who you will be working with? 

no, the e-mail was brief and made no mention of who i've been matched up with yet. i am thinking that process will be initiated post the formal letter. 

4 hours ago, yj_epi said:

Hi APK1942, which track did you apply for at Hopkins? I had an interview as well, now am waiting for the results. It is torturing me.  

hi, formally chose environmental epi for hopkins. although from an outcomes standpoint, my interests bleed over a little into perinatal/reproductive and cancer as well. My interviewer said that we should expect to hear back in 2 to 3 weeks tops post the interview, so the wait should be over for us soon, regardless of the result :lol: