PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

22 hours ago, modifer said:

Is this for Epi programs? If so, I received an invitation request late January for OHSU and received an acceptance early this month. For OSU, I applied a week or so before 12/1, my application was reviewed early January, and I was accepted the end of January. I haven't heard anything for Colorado, but I did applied on 2/1. 

Regardless, I had average GREs, and I knew people who got into Epi PhD programs with lower than average scores. From my perspective, it appears that the majority of schools look at your application as a whole, and the importance of GRE scores, especially if you already have a Masters, seems debatable (although they appear to be important for some funding opportunities). I think your experiences are great, so don't lose hope yet! 

I am applying for the Health Systems and Policy program. Congrats on your acceptances! Did you decide which school to go with yet? Did they offer funding?

On 2/15/2017 at 6:34 PM, 2016Epi said:

Yeah totally! I'm sure it's different for everyone but I'll share what the professor told me last Spring and hopefully it helps.

Basically, he said they get a lot of applications and it helps a LOT if they know your name by the time your application hits their desk. I hadn't talked to any POIs before applying last year. I just listed whose research I admired from afar in my statements of purpose. So in the late summer/fall this cycle, I emailed every professor I thought had cool research and asked if I could discuss their work and the program. Some of them said they're not looking for new PhD students, but most of them agreed to talk with me over the phone or meet in person.

Individually some of them gave me even more feedback, like to emphasize that the projects I'd been on were specific to epidemiology on my CV. I've also submitted my thesis since then, and while it's not published they could at least see that I have done something with heavy stats so I'm sure that helped. I went to a conference which probably didn't hurt. I think most of it came down to talking to POIs beforehand though. One at UCLA actually even said that it was because I emailed her persistently and seemed excited about her work that she thought I'd be a good fit.

So it was like a double bonus piece of advice because meeting with people helped form a relationship with people at the school, and in turn they gave me more feedback specific to my application. It's like a mini practice application, and you can revise your strategy/ideas before the real thing. Plus, if a POI is not interested, at least it's a mini rejection instead of a big no thank you from the entire school. I wish I'd shared this advice earlier but I didn't know until recently that it was going to work for me.

Too long; didn't read: meet POIs

Best of luck!!!

I agree with this advice 100%. Last year I wasn't accepted to any of the programs I applied to but this year I've been accepted to two great programs so far with full-funding and waiting to hear back from four more schools. I genuinely believe my success has been largely because i reached out to POIs at each school beforehand. The sense I've gotten from conversations with admissions committees, faculty members, and students is that most schools look for one major thing "goodness of fit". Grades and GPA typically have minimum cut offs (top 10 schools seem to generally want their applicants in the 70th percentile and above for GREs and GPA above 3.0), but ultimately you have to show the admissions committee how good of a fit you are for their program. The best way to do that is to become more intimately familiar with the department and the faculty members' work and then tailor your statements to reflect how you fit into the grand scheme of things. Websites and reading research articles from a professor can only take you so far. Talking to your POI makes a huge difference in getting your name recognized before the admissions process and in getting insider information on how to better craft your statement of purpose. 

Good luck to you all! It's a stressful time, but try to not let it consume you because this isn't the only thing in the world that defines you as a person. 

20 hours ago, 2016Epi said:

I still have no real idea; there was a lot of confusion and awkwardness in all my emails! I forgot to attach my CV in one initial email to a PI then in my 'whoops I forgot the CV' email I also forgot to attach it so I had to email a third time. Horrifying. I'm sure your POI was very glad you reached out- and if not, then maybe they wouldn't even be a good person to work for for the next five years :P

You're SO right! Too bad that PI was literally the person who invented the field that I'm in (and is one of the most respected researchers in the world)... lol

13 hours ago, etherealhav0c said:

I agree with this advice 100%. Last year I wasn't accepted to any of the programs I applied to but this year I've been accepted to two great programs so far with full-funding and waiting to hear back from four more schools. I genuinely believe my success has been largely because i reached out to POIs at each school beforehand. The sense I've gotten from conversations with admissions committees, faculty members, and students is that most schools look for one major thing "goodness of fit". Grades and GPA typically have minimum cut offs (top 10 schools seem to generally want their applicants in the 70th percentile and above for GREs and GPA above 3.0), but ultimately you have to show the admissions committee how good of a fit you are for their program. The best way to do that is to become more intimately familiar with the department and the faculty members' work and then tailor your statements to reflect how you fit into the grand scheme of things. Websites and reading research articles from a professor can only take you so far. Talking to your POI makes a huge difference in getting your name recognized before the admissions process and in getting insider information on how to better craft your statement of purpose. 

Good luck to you all! It's a stressful time, but try to not let it consume you because this isn't the only thing in the world that defines you as a person. 

Is it too late to reach out to POIs? I listed names in my statement but did not email any directly. I'm expecting decisions within the next two weeks. Should I still reach out at this point? Or would it look like I'm being fishy...

27 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Is it too late to reach out to POIs? I listed names in my statement but did not email any directly. I'm expecting decisions within the next two weeks. Should I still reach out at this point? Or would it look like I'm being fishy...

I have the same question! Thoughts??

46 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

19 minutes ago, epi_08 said:

I have the same question! Thoughts??

To be honest I think it's a little bit late, mostly because I know that admission committees are already meeting, and it's important for professors to know your name before coming across your application. I didn't mention anyone in my personal statements that I hadn't already gotten in touch with - like another poster mentioned, goodness of fit is critical in the admissions process. I guess there would be no harm done in reaching out now, but I don't know if it'll make much of a difference at this point. 

28 minutes ago, T7879 said:

To be honest I think it's a little bit late, mostly because I know that admission committees are already meeting, and it's important for professors to know your name before coming across your application. I didn't mention anyone in my personal statements that I hadn't already gotten in touch with - like another poster mentioned, goodness of fit is critical in the admissions process. I guess there would be no harm done in reaching out now, but I don't know if it'll make much of a difference at this point. 

Agreed! My thought is that if the interviews/visiting day have passed, which means they already have a shortlist in hand, then there's not much you can change. If you got interviewed you'll be fine, just give them some time (though I don't know what's taking them so long this year!!)

BUT, if you're not contacted and you know for sure that they are still SENDING OUT interview emails or still DOING interviews , you may give it a try! 

1 hour ago, joshre01 said:

Did anyone hear about funding from Pittsburgh? I just got accepted but not sure about funding!

Congratulations!!!! Which dept did you get accepted into?! So happy for you! Still awaiting my decision from them. Interviewed last week...

4 hours ago, SocialPubHealth said:

I think it's too late to reach out to POIs especially since most admissions committees have already met and reviewed applications. The idea is to talk with POIs before the admissions committees meet. This is something that the different professors that I spoke with at each of the universities I applied to had confirmed as well when I asked them for strategies in applying to their respective programs. It's something I heard last year when I got feedback from Harvard after interviewing, and it's something I've heard repeatedly throughout the process this year. 

16 minutes ago, nycpizza said:

Anyone hear from UNC HB yet? I remember someone mentioning that decisions will be sent this week, but I didn't get any emails

I received an acceptance from UNC HB on Monday morning. I received an email to check the portal. Hopefully you'll hear soon!!!

3 hours ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Congratulations!!!! Which dept did you get accepted into?! So happy for you! Still awaiting my decision from them. Interviewed last week...

Hey thanks, SocialPubHealth! I got into the Epi PhD program, and had no interview. I did talk to a POI beforehand and it was positive. But no word on funding yet! Good luck to you. 

4 hours ago, T7879 said:

Anyone heard anything from Harvard?  

Nope nothing since the interview (not sure which track you mean. I applied to HPM). Anyone else hear from HPM? It's been a little while now. I guess the chances probably decrease with each passing day...

34 minutes ago, TIGP4 said:

Nope nothing since the interview (not sure which track you mean. I applied to HPM). Anyone else hear from HPM? It's been a little while now. I guess the chances probably decrease with each passing day...

I applied to both PHS and HPM and didn't hear about an interview for either of those, and I'm hoping that's not too dismal of a sign (since I was very much in touch with my POIs before, throughout the application process).  But on the results page it looks like neither acceptances nor rejections have been released, so I'm not sure if our chances are decreasing or what. 

On 2/16/2017 at 10:49 PM, anthrostudentcyn said:

does anyone know anything about NYU's process? I interviewed but am waiting for next steps

Hello,

i assume you applied to social n behavioral science track at NYU from your name? I emailed them on Wed. They told me they are "still in the process of viewing". Have you heard anything after you posted? 

If anyone else who attended the interview at NYU has additional info to share, please do! Much appreciated!

I have agreed to respond yes/no to another offer in a week, this is definitely a nerve-racking wait as I like NYU better. Hope they will let us know one way or another this coming week!

Good luck everyone!

I hate to be a bummer or be overly political...but I've been hanging out on NIH Reporter (because why not on a Saturday) it's so hard to imagine that potential cuts to funding over the next few years, aren't impacting decisions.  I even saw in the results section that Berkeley Demography put language about funding in their rejection letters. 

Everyone here seems so passionate and talented. I want us all to start our training and jumpstart our careers. I dunno...just feeling a bit cynical this morning