PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

52 minutes ago, JSnow said:

I hate to be a bummer or be overly political...but I've been hanging out on NIH Reporter (because why not on a Saturday) it's so hard to imagine that potential cuts to funding over the next few years, aren't impacting decisions.  I even saw in the results section that Berkeley Demography put language about funding in their rejection letters. 

Everyone here seems so passionate and talented. I want us all to start our training and jumpstart our careers. I dunno...just feeling a bit cynical this morning

It's definitely impacting decisions, particularly for schools that rely on AHRQ to fund their doctoral students (and faculty research grants, for that matter). There's just a ton of uncertainty so, as a response, I think we're seeing schools admit fewer students than they would have typically admitted. Bad timing for us, unfortunately!!

On 18/02/2017 at 1:51 AM, T7879 said:

I applied to both PHS and HPM and didn't hear about an interview for either of those, and I'm hoping that's not too dismal of a sign (since I was very much in touch with my POIs before, throughout the application process).  But on the results page it looks like neither acceptances nor rejections have been released, so I'm not sure if our chances are decreasing or what. 

Well, good sign I guess that no decisions are out on gradcafe yet. Which track did you apply to?

9 hours ago, stereopticons said:

Looks like people are getting notifications for Hopkins mental health program? My application checklist still says under review and I haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that's not good news. :(

I received an acceptance email from Hopkins Mental Health on Friday. I'm not sure if they were all sent that day or not. My portal still says in review though...They could still be sending out notifications!

Edited by Mariposa512

43 minutes ago, marcphoenix said:

In the same boat. Not holding my breath. 

17 hours ago, stereopticons said:

Looks like people are getting notifications for Hopkins mental health program? My application checklist still says under review and I haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that's not good news. :(

Me three. Didn't hear anything, no interview, no nothing. Patty the lovely admin lady said they release decisions until the end of the month, but I think I would have been interviewed by now if I still have a chance of being admitted. So, oh well...

On 19/02/2017 at 3:47 AM, T7879 said:

Decision science within HPM and Global health & population within PHS. You?

Management track for me. I suppose they only have 1-2 students per track each year so I shouldn't expect much :/ Has anyone been rejected yet or are we all in the same boat? Maybe we're on a makeshift waitlist/limbo now. Who knows.

When I talked to admissions a few weeks ago they said we'd know "very soon." I think we may have different definitions of what very soon means!

53 minutes ago, TIGP4 said:

Management track for me. I suppose they only have 1-2 students per track each year so I shouldn't expect much :/ Has anyone been rejected yet or are we all in the same boat? Maybe we're on a makeshift waitlist/limbo now. Who knows.

When I talked to admissions a few weeks ago they said we'd know "very soon." I think we may have different definitions of what very soon means!

I have not heard anything since my interview. They told me mid to late February for decisions, so hopefully it actually is soon now. Looking at past years on the survey, late February seems about right. 

24 minutes ago, aj_h said:

I have not heard anything since my interview. They told me mid to late February for decisions, so hopefully it actually is soon now. Looking at past years on the survey, late February seems about right. 

Ah you interviewed for decision science!  Yeah I wasn't expecting much because I know they admit so few students - my first choice would definitely be PHS.  Best of luck!

2 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Ah you interviewed for decision science!  Yeah I wasn't expecting much because I know they admit so few students - my first choice would definitely be PHS.  Best of luck!

I was actually interviewing for management. But I agree -- considering how few students they admit, I really have no idea what to expect. I'm trying to not have my hopes too high, since it is definitely my top choice. 

On 2/19/2017 at 10:46 AM, Ravenclaw said:

Does anyone have any updates for Hopkins Health Behavior and Society (Social and Behavioral)? They're the only school I'm waiting to hear from. When I called and asked, they said I should hear "within two weeks, but sooner rather than later" and that was about two weeks ago.

I just logged on to my account and it still says that my application is under review. I was told that their decisions would be out this week...

2 hours ago, light10491 said:

Anything from UCLA? Also, do any programs do PhD acceptance with provisions on doing well the first year in the Master's?

I logged in to my account and it doesn't show any updates. I was told their decisions would be out this week as well.

Anyone for Columbia Sociomedical Sciences? I applied to psyc track but did not get any updates except that financial aid thing, which I am sure all applicants were contacted for. Let me know if people had interview invites or something! 

2 minutes ago, COGSCI said:

Anyone for Columbia Sociomedical Sciences? I applied to psyc track but did not get any updates except that financial aid thing, which I am sure all applicants were contacted for. Let me know if people had interview invites or something! 

Haven't heard from them

57 minutes ago, COGSCI said:

Also have heard nothing! Does anyone know if they interviewed in past years?

12 hours ago, redroses310 said:

To whoever submitted the Emory EHS acceptance-- did they send out a batch congrats on your acceptance email, or was it from a faculty member you're interested in? Trying to figure out whether I should assume I'm either rejected or on the waiting list.

It was an acceptance email from the Laney system and then saying to check your account for the decision. Professors have then been reaching out soon after. Perhaps they are sending in batches? 

9 minutes ago, phperson said:

It was an acceptance email from the Laney system and then saying to check your account for the decision. Professors have then been reaching out soon after. Perhaps they are sending in batches? 

FWIW, I got a batch email from Laney bright n early on Feb 1st telling me I was rejected (tho I'm not EHS). 

Is anyone else surprised that we seem to be hearing back kind of late?  I know a number of people still haven't heard from UNC, it seems like Harvard hasn't gotten back to people since doing some interviews, I still haven't heard from my backup (Minnesota epi) despite getting into better schools.  I know they said we would hear by mid-March at the latest, but I had thought we would know by now, especially given the timing on the results page from previous years. 

16 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Is anyone else surprised that we seem to be hearing back kind of late?  I know a number of people still haven't heard from UNC, it seems like Harvard hasn't gotten back to people since doing some interviews, I still haven't heard from my backup (Minnesota epi) despite getting into better schools.  I know they said we would hear by mid-March at the latest, but I had thought we would know by now, especially given the timing on the results page from previous years. 

I wonder if it has something to do with funding/the current political climate... I am a bit surprised too. 

6 minutes ago, light10491 said:

Anyone else get an email just now from MINNESOTA?

They may release results in mid-April due to funding issues with AHRQ. Just wondering if they emailed everyone, or only those potentially admitted/waitlisted.

I didn't get an email.  But mid-April?!  That's when we would need to accept an offer by!  Hoping the same doesn't hold true for all schools dependent on AHRQ funding...