PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

12 minutes ago, light10491 said:

What was everyone's GRE scores like. Just curious seeing SocialPubHealth had such good scores.

165 Verbal
163 Quant
5.0 Writing

Those were neuroticnancy's scores! Mine are worse... lol. Above 60th percentile for all three though.

23 hours ago, ganhuahua said:

Undergrad School:  California State School

Major/Minor:  Healthcare Administration BS/Minor Chinese Studies
Undergrad GPA: 3.474
Experience/Research: Lab assistant since 2014, paid through NIH initiative starting June 2015. Internships at USC and UCI with a pending textbook chapter publication.

Applied:  UCI Public Health PhD, UCSD/SDSU Public Health PhD, Harvard Health Policy PhD, Claremont Graduate University Health Promotion Sciences PhD, USC Health Behavior PhD, USC MPH, Charles R Drew MPH

Accepted: Charles R Drew MPH (being considered for a scholarship)
Rejected: Harvard
Waitlisted: N/A

Waiting to hear back from the others... Has anyone heard from the schools I'm waiting on?

Can confirm- UCSD/SDSU came last week via phone call. Said there should be an an official letter coming in the mail. 

UCI also came out- their "admit day" is March 10. 

24 minutes ago, modifer said:

Has anybody heard anything from BU for the Epi program? I saw one admit today, but I haven't heard anything myself. 

I emailed the admin a while back and he said interview invites would be extended by Feb 10, and final decisions would be made by mid-March. I haven't heard anything else, so assuming rejection based on no interview. 

14 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I emailed the admin a while back and he said interview invites would be extended by Feb 10, and final decisions would be made by mid-March. I haven't heard anything else, so assuming rejection based on no interview. 

Thanks for the info. I find it weird that there's not a lot of posting on BU, either here or the survey. Do you know how many people they usually accept and are interviews common? I went back to previous years and didn't see that many interview notifications. 

1 minute ago, modifer said:

Thanks for the info. I find it weird that there's not a lot of posting on BU, either here or the survey. Do you know how many people they usually accept and are interviews common? I went back to previous years and didn't see that many interview notifications. 

I don't know, sorry. I found the same thing when I looked back. I do know, though, that the POI I spoke with before applying said they had reorganized the department and admissions, so it's possible that previous year data isn't reliable anymore. 

Hey all,

Wondering if I can get your opinions... Had a Skype session with my POI at UConn yesterday. It was not technically a formal interview; he scheduled it with me after I emailed him. During the session, he said he would recommend me for admission to the committee. Should I feel confident that I'll get approval from the committee now that he's provided his approval, so to speak? He expressed a willingness to serve as my mentor and mentioned several grants he's got pending... Just wanted to hear from the group if this sounds as promising as I thought. Trying not to get excited prematurely!

24 minutes ago, modifer said:

BU had an interview day with approximately 10-13 people in each department, across five departments. It seems like they will admit 4-6 in each department. 

19 minutes ago, CTDrPH said:

Hey all,

Wondering if I can get your opinions... Had a Skype session with my POI at UConn yesterday. It was not technically a formal interview; he scheduled it with me after I emailed him. During the session, he said he would recommend me for admission to the committee. Should I feel confident that I'll get approval from the committee now that he's provided his approval, so to speak? He expressed a willingness to serve as my mentor and mentioned several grants he's got pending... Just wanted to hear from the group if this sounds as promising as I thought. Trying not to get excited prematurely!

I have heard from 3 schools so far, all acceptances. I'm currently a student at one of them, but for the other two, I spoke to POIs and they were both really positive about my stats and said they would be happy to serve as my advisor if accepted. I think that has a lot to do with my acceptances (funding is another story). Not to give you false hopes, but it's definitely one of THE most important things for a PhD application, in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Am I the only one that's going stir crazy?! I have yet to hear back from a majority of my schools, including my top choices. I just can't anymore. Hubby says I just have a strong case of impostor syndrome

Maybe no news is good news. I have gotten rejected from 4 of the top schools, it's not a good feeling :(

1 minute ago, epi_08 said:

Maybe no news is good news. I have gotten rejected from 4 of the top schools, it's not a good feeling :(

thank you for that reminder. my friends keep saying that. why am i so convinced of my failure. thank you <3 

8 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

thank you for that reminder. my friends keep saying that. why am i so convinced of my failure. thank you <3 

Also, tomorrow may be THE friday for some decisions, considering it's the last Friday in Feb. (well, hopefully)

Just now, joshre01 said:

Also, tomorrow may be THE friday for some decisions, considering it's the last Friday in Feb. (well, hopefully)

yeah, that's what im thinking/hoping. seems like wednesdays and fridays are the big days. 

Just now, epi_08 said:

Well I got a big fat rejection today and it's a Thursday, so who really knows

I'm sorry to hear that :( I know how that feels. I was speaking from my own experience as I had only received emails on weds/fri but youre right, who knows. hopefully you have some other schools lined up? i applied to 8 and have heard back from 3. two of which were rejections.

4 hours ago, paninisand said:

Can confirm- UCSD/SDSU came last week via phone call. Said there should be an an official letter coming in the mail. 

UCI also came out- their "admit day" is March 10. 

I called UCSD/SDSU all they said was if I don't receive mail by March 1 to call back

UCI said they are still reviewing so idk

I am pretty late to this thread, but...

1.  To all those accepted into Harvard's PHS program, congratulations! It seems like it was especially competitive this year.

2.  To fellow members of the HSPH PHS waitlist, does anyone know if the only way to be offered a slot is for someone who was accepted to our specific track to decline their offer? For example, I was waitlisted for the program after applying for the Public Health Nutrition (PHN) track and was told during my interviews that the Nutrition department only gets 5 students (of the 40 total) and only 2 of these are PHN (versus Nutrition Epi). So, am I waiting for 1/2 spots? Or, 1/40?

I plan to contact admissions after I get my letter in the mail, but thought I would try the hive mind first.

Best of luck, everyone!