Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

21 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

The wait for word from UConn has me looking at my email like ???

Saaaame, I'm dying. Do you think they notify everyone of their status at once, like someone is waitlisted, would he or she be informed of that at the same time as the first choice is offered a position?

12 minutes ago, PsychLady17 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Alabama Clinical Psychology program? Interview was February 10th, however, I have not heard of rather I was accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. 

I just heard from my POI last night about being an alternate. I haven't seen any other posts about it so I think each PI is doing it indivudally.

13 minutes ago, PsychLady17 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Alabama Clinical Psychology program? Interview was February 10th, however, I have not heard of rather I was accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. 

My friend saw a girl post her acceptance letter from UA's clinical program on Facebook yesterday

4 hours ago, Display_Name_ said:

Saaaame, I'm dying. Do you think they notify everyone of their status at once, like someone is waitlisted, would he or she be informed of that at the same time as the first choice is offered a position?

My POI called last week and insinuated I may get an offer but they were waiting to hear about funding. The next day I found out funding was lower than anticipated so now I'm at the edge of my seat. Seems like POIs are reaching out independently so you may want to call or email! I hope were both in next year's cohort!

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a little advice. I've been fortunate enough to receive offers from two great programs, both of which have a moderately good research fit. I've also, however, been in contact with a (rather esteemed) PI from another great university with whom my research interests align perfectly about a potential RAship next year. On a scale from 1 to absolutely ludicrous, how crazy would I be to consider declining my offers and taking the RAship with the intention of applying again in a future application cycle? Thanks in advance for your input!

2 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a little advice. I've been fortunate enough to receive offers from two great programs, both of which have a moderately good research fit. I've also, however, been in contact with a (rather esteemed) PI from another great university with whom my research interests align perfectly about a potential RAship next year. On a scale from 1 to absolutely ludicrous, how crazy would I be to consider declining my offers and taking the RAship with the intention of applying again in a future application cycle? Thanks in advance for your input!

Personally, I would advise against that unless your programs would have you doing research that's very different what you want to do. 

I've been applying to so many application cycles and learned it's really a luck of the draw, and you should really put your money on a sure thing. There's no guarantee you'll get in on a later cycle. I would take one of the programs that accepted you and possibly do a collaboration with the researcher. 

1 hour ago, juhidee119 said:

Personally, I would advise against that unless your programs would have you doing research that's very different what you want to do. 

I've been applying to so many application cycles and learned it's really a luck of the draw, and you should really put your money on a sure thing. There's no guarantee you'll get in on a later cycle. I would take one of the programs that accepted you and possibly do a collaboration with the researcher. 

Thanks so much for your advice! And best of luck to you this cycle!

3 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

I have to agree with the other poster. Although the experience of working with this professor might be wonderful, at the end of the day you're still just an RA -- it doesn't really advance your own professional career. It may open a few more acceptances for you in your next round of applications, but you're clearly already competitive enough to get in at some great programs; you will have spent all that time/effort/money on this year's applications just to deny it all to try again next year... Unless this RA experience would open up a DEFINITE opportunity to be a grad student with that professor, I would just take one of the offers you have now and look for future collaborations with this prof. At least that way you'd be starting the long (5-7yr) process of getting your degree, which is what will really open up amazing doors for collaboration in the future.

3 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

I wouldn't risk it as you don't know if this professor will definitely accept you in the next cycle or if they'll even have enough funding (weird things happen!). Keep in contact but possibly look for practicum/internship/post-doc opportunities with this professor in the future. You may even be able to consult with them for your masters or dissertation so multiple ways to build an incredibly large network AND keep your admission for the fall. HTH

5 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

I generally am leaning toward what everyone else is saying... but I think it depends on where you are professionally/personally.  If you applied straight from undergrad and got into 2 programs that aren't great research fits I would consider taking the RA job.  I did 2 years after undergrad and accepted an offer this cycle and had an amazing experience during my time as an RA.  I learned so much about my personal research interests and grew a lot academically.  You are going to be at your program for 5-7 years and if you aren't sold on the research fit you may want to consider waiting.  But then again, if you have already taken several years off you may want to just get going on your degree.  I don't think it would be ludicrous to turn down the offers, you need to consider what is important to you.  I definitely don't think you should commit to a Ph.D program just for the sake of going now... but if the research fit is good enough that's a different story.  Sorry I'm rambling, but it's definitely a complex situation! 

6 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

I think everyone has given really great advice. I just have my two cents to add about research fit with potential mentors. 

We all know research fit is the key in grad school application and you don't want to spend the next 5-6 years working with someone who does not share your research interests. But we are all relatively early in our research career, and you just can’t say for sure yet what kind of research you really want to do for the rest of your career. Obviously you have done a lot of solid research in a certain area that got you into great programs and helped you identify your specific research interests, but it’s probably too early to rule out other possibilities. I think there are many factors that may be even more important than research fit, for example, how good a mentor and/or scientist your potential advisor is, whether or not he/she respects students’ ideas and interests, what resources are available, how much he/she encourages students to collaborate with other profs, etc. So, don’t let the ‘not-so-perfect’ research fit put you off, and try to keep an open mind. 

Hope it helps with your decision making. :)

Edited by ClincPsyc