Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

13 hours ago, psychlife4me said:

Received an email from a POI asking if I was still interested in the program (interviews were 3 weeks ago and I hadn't seen anything posted on the results page). I said I was since I haven't accepted my current offer yet and they wrote back apologizing for the long wait and then explained they were working out funding with the dept. 

Is this a weird way of them saying I may be receiving an offer soon? It was such an ambiguous email lol 

It definitely indicates that you are in line to receive an offer but you know that funding is always a tricky process. It is a statement of intent but not a guarantee still. Keep hoping if this is your top choice but keep other avenues open as well!

14 hours ago, Psyched56 said:

Is it appropriate to turn down an offer of admission via e-mail? I'm a little nervous about an awkward phone call but want to make sure they know I'm grateful and not taking the offer for granted. 

I think its perfectly fine to send out a polite email stating that while you are very grateful for the offer you feel you are better suited to another lab. I don't think any admissions committee takes these things personally. They know everyone is applying to many places and the choice picked is the one that is best suited to the individual. Waiting for too long to respond when you already know you are going to turn down the offer however is not cool. 

1 hour ago, CP fun said:

It definitely indicates that you are in line to receive an offer but you know that funding is always a tricky process. It is a statement of intent but not a guarantee still. Keep hoping if this is your top choice but keep other avenues open as well!

Definitely keeping other avenues open at this time, I was certain after interviewing funding was a long shot at this particular program but I'd still like to hear them out before shutting them out completely. Thank you for your advice! :)

On 3/2/2017 at 5:17 PM, panic!atthepsychapps said:

If anyone has heard from UF / University of Florida or U of Memphis for clinical PhD programs, please let me know!  I noticed a few people have posted on the results page about getting accepted to Florida.  How were you notified?  Who is your POI?  Do you plan on going?  Any information you can offer would (probably) ease my mind.  Thanks in advance, and good luck!

I applied to U of Memphis and still have not heard anything. Have you had any update since you posted this? Best of luck! 

I have very gratefully accepted the offer of admission from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. I will be visiting Michigan for the first time when I reach to start the program. Any advice about life there would be most welcome. Thank you.

3 hours ago, CP fun said:

I have very gratefully accepted the offer of admission from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. I will be visiting Michigan for the first time when I reach to start the program. Any advice about life there would be most welcome. Thank you.

CP fun,

I'm from Michigan...Although I'm from West Michigan so I can't give you much info about Ann Arbor specifically. Here is some information about Michigan in general.

1. Summer and fall are gorgeous here

2. Winter drags on for a long time here...It's rough (especially jan-march) but the summer and fall make it bearable again.

3. The Lakes...Visit the Great Lakes especially Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. They are the most clean and beautiful 

4. Go on a fall color tour...Especially further up north 

5. Visit the great tourist sites and cities over the summer: tahquemenon falls, Mackinac island, mackinaw bridge, traverse city, Ludington, south haven, Grand Haven etc, tall ships festival in bay city, frankenmuth

5. If you like craft beer you are in for a treat...Microbreweries are exploding all over the state

6. Spring tends to be pretty soggy...Everything is thawing out

7. People aren't as nice and hospitable as the south but are nicer than other states

8. Michiganders are serious about their apple cider...And donuts. October is the time when everyone goes to a cider mill and gets fresh cider, yummy donuts and buys some pumpkins for Halloween.

9. Unlike the south and some states in the Midwest (KS, OK) they actually know how to put down salt on the roads and plow the roads so you can get out and about during the 5 months of winter.

10. Try a pastie at least once- they sell them all over in northern Michigan- it's like a meat pie.

11. Every tourist town in MI has a fudge shop...Absolutely delicious

12. Ice cream is usually seasonal here - especially in small towns...So get your fill in the summer. Most of the businesses in the beach tourist towns are seasonal and are only open from memorial day to labor day.

13. Meijer is awesome! It's a like a Walmart but a million times better.

14. Bottle/can returns....You get 10 cents back on each return. Meijer and Walmart have exchange machines.

15. "Party stores" are basically liquor stores on steroids since everywhere from Walgreens to Walmart can sell refrigerated wine, beer and liquor. 

16. Don't let the cold scare you off..It's a great state and I miss it everyday ?

22 hours ago, CP fun said:

As a user said above, Meijer IS awesome. I grew up in Ann Arbor and miss it a lot. It may have changed since I was there, but A^2 is incredibly liberal and diverse. The university is ever present since it is essentially a college town, but slightly bigger. Good libraries. Kerrytown is a famous and fun area with cute shops and a farmers market. The public bus system is very comprehensive and was free at least back in the day. (Or the U of M bus system). Lots of university-related housing options. A couple of beautiful parks to go to during weekends, including Gallup Park which is awesome and big, I remember going there with my family and playing badminton a lot. Lots of geese though...maybe too many. Winters are rough although these days it's hard to say what winter will be like anywhere. 

Ann Arbor is awesome, and very family-friendly, so you will see a lot of families around. The downtown/university area is lovely and walkable with good places to eat and shops. Active nightlife with lots of university students. Very bike-friendly. Finally...not sure if they still have this, but the Ann Arbor summer Art Fair is famous! It's so much fun and was one of my favorite things I looked forward to every year. They close down streets downtown and artists come and present their work and also lots of vendors. 

You will definitely enjoy it there, and people tend to be friendly and relaxed. Congratulations and best of luck!

On 3/10/2017 at 7:33 AM, Sjbionia said:

CP fun,

I'm from Michigan...Although I'm from West Michigan so I can't give you much info about Ann Arbor specifically. Here is some information about Michigan in general.

1. Summer and fall are gorgeous here

2. Winter drags on for a long time here...It's rough (especially jan-march) but the summer and fall make it bearable again.

3. The Lakes...Visit the Great Lakes especially Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. They are the most clean and beautiful 

4. Go on a fall color tour...Especially further up north 

5. Visit the great tourist sites and cities over the summer: tahquemenon falls, Mackinac island, mackinaw bridge, traverse city, Ludington, south haven, Grand Haven etc, tall ships festival in bay city, frankenmuth

5. If you like craft beer you are in for a treat...Microbreweries are exploding all over the state

6. Spring tends to be pretty soggy...Everything is thawing out

7. People aren't as nice and hospitable as the south but are nicer than other states

8. Michiganders are serious about their apple cider...And donuts. October is the time when everyone goes to a cider mill and gets fresh cider, yummy donuts and buys some pumpkins for Halloween.

9. Unlike the south and some states in the Midwest (KS, OK) they actually know how to put down salt on the roads and plow the roads so you can get out and about during the 5 months of winter.

10. Try a pastie at least once- they sell them all over in northern Michigan- it's like a meat pie.

11. Every tourist town in MI has a fudge shop...Absolutely delicious

12. Ice cream is usually seasonal here - especially in small towns...So get your fill in the summer. Most of the businesses in the beach tourist towns are seasonal and are only open from memorial day to labor day.

13. Meijer is awesome! It's a like a Walmart but a million times better.

14. Bottle/can returns....You get 10 cents back on each return. Meijer and Walmart have exchange machines.

15. "Party stores" are basically liquor stores on steroids since everywhere from Walgreens to Walmart can sell refrigerated wine, beer and liquor. 

16. Don't let the cold scare you off..It's a great state and I miss it everyday ?

Thank you for your very details response. I am very excited to avail of this opportunity. I love the University and am really looking forward to enjoying the city as well. If you are ever there again, give me a shout out :)

5 hours ago, ysi2010 said:

As a user said above, Meijer IS awesome. I grew up in Ann Arbor and miss it a lot. It may have changed since I was there, but A^2 is incredibly liberal and diverse. The university is ever present since it is essentially a college town, but slightly bigger. Good libraries. Kerrytown is a famous and fun area with cute shops and a farmers market. The public bus system is very comprehensive and was free at least back in the day. (Or the U of M bus system). Lots of university-related housing options. A couple of beautiful parks to go to during weekends, including Gallup Park which is awesome and big, I remember going there with my family and playing badminton a lot. Lots of geese though...maybe too many. Winters are rough although these days it's hard to say what winter will be like anywhere. 

Ann Arbor is awesome, and very family-friendly, so you will see a lot of families around. The downtown/university area is lovely and walkable with good places to eat and shops. Active nightlife with lots of university students. Very bike-friendly. Finally...not sure if they still have this, but the Ann Arbor summer Art Fair is famous! It's so much fun and was one of my favorite things I looked forward to every year. They close down streets downtown and artists come and present their work and also lots of vendors. 

You will definitely enjoy it there, and people tend to be friendly and relaxed. Congratulations and best of luck!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was in love with the University. Now the love affair extends to the city. Hope you have got your dream school as well! :)

I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've interviewed at, whether than be an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notifcation. My first interview was almost a month ago, and the others have been within the last 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to assume that I wasn't any POI's first choice?

5 hours ago, periwinkle27 said:

I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've interviewed at, whether than be an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notifcation. My first interview was almost a month ago, and the others have been within the last 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to assume that I wasn't any POI's first choice?

Have you checked the results search here on grad cafe? 

I wouldn't assume anything until you hear from them. You might want to shoot an email to the first one, just to ask whether they've sent out first offers yet. And if you haven't heard from any of the others by next week you might want to email them too. By 3-4 weeks after the program's last interview I don't think it would be inappropriate to ask, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Did any of the profs or current students at interviews say anything about how long it usually takes them to make first offers?

Edited by metalpsychperson

5 hours ago, periwinkle27 said:

Did the programs tell around when they will be making decisions? Every program I interviewed at gave us a ballpark idea of when we would hear back and they were pretty consistent. It took over a month to hear back on one due to the dept trying to figuring out funding so always remember that that could be an issue at hand. I wouldn't give up hope, some things just take time :)

1 hour ago, eveline said:

To those who have received Diversity or some other scholarship-- did you hear about it in the initial email/phone call, or did they tell you afterwards like in the formal letter? 

I was told I was nominated via initial phone conversation and then I received a separate email confirming I was awarded the fellowship.