Canadian Political Science Programs- Fall 2017 cycle

somuchtoread

17 hours ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Congrats! I just got my admission from there today, as well. I'm still waiting on Balsillie's MGA.

Congrats friend, hope to see you there next year!

I also applied to BSIA for the MIPP but haven't heard back, but I've heard that some offers have been given out. 

What stream are you in? I'm in IR.

Cheers!

Waitlisted for a PhD at UBC and will notify me after March 15, which is the deadline for those accepted. Also got an unofficial offer from UofT through a professor but the official results are probably coming next week. Between the two, I would prefer UBC but we'll see. I am not sure how long the waitlist at UBC is and how many decline since it's a pretty small cohort (10 incoming PhDs). 

1 hour ago, _Dreamer_ said:

Waitlisted for a PhD at UBC and will notify me after March 15, which is the deadline for those accepted. Also got an unofficial offer from UofT through a professor but the official results are probably coming next week. Between the two, I would prefer UBC but we'll see. I am not sure how long the waitlist at UBC is and how many decline since it's a pretty small cohort (10 incoming PhDs). 

That's amazing about the U of T offer!!!! Wait list is definitely better an outright rejection. Good luck for UBC!

I'm still waiting to hear from both UBC and Toronto and I know they should be sending something out very soon. My heart skips a beat every time I get an e-mail :S 

@Pahi Thanks - even though I don't believe anything until I receive an official offer. :D I understand your stress as I am pretty much the same. At least you have some good offers already to make it a little bit easier! If you want, you could call UBC and ask, they probably know but it takes time to notify everyone. Good luck!

2 hours ago, xxxxxxxplz said:

Got 2 M.A. acceptances today. One from Toronto and the other one from Alberta. I also applied to UBC and McGill, so let's see. Best of luck to all =)

Congrats! I got accepted to UofT and Queens today as well... Any funding from UofT? my other two acceptances offered funding off the bat, but not UofT. Wondering if they wait to offer, or I just wasn't "competitive" enough. Still waiting on McGill as well, maybe next week?

Longtime lurker here. Accepted at York and McMaster; waitlisted at UBC. I'd be happy at any of these places, but Mac has given me a very generous offer...

On 2017-03-03 at 0:22 PM, _Dreamer_ said:

Did they give you a reason as to why you're waitlisted? I'm in the same boat as you :/

On 2017-03-01 at 7:50 AM, CheekyPony said:

That's me with the McMaster PhD acceptance. :) 

Congrats! I've also been accepted. Are you IR or Comparative Pub Pol?

@existential cowboi congrats for the acceptances! I don't think they ever give a reason but the weird thing is that they didn't even say how long the waitlist is or in which place I am. Did they give you any details? Also, do you mind sharing the funding details of Mc? 

2 hours ago, _Dreamer_ said:

@existential cowboi congrats for the acceptances! I don't think they ever give a reason but the weird thing is that they didn't even say how long the waitlist is or in which place I am. Did they give you any details? Also, do you mind sharing the funding details of Mc? 

Thank you! Part of Mac's package includes an OGS and I'm up for another faculty-wide award which I won't know about for another month.

Yes, I didn't initially get any info from UBC, either, so I emailed them. Apparently they don't rank people on the waitlist. The other thing they told me, which I thought was weird, was that although the person I'd asked to supervise was in very strong support of my application, the dept. wants to "balance" advising workloads across the faculty, and the person in question already has a few students. I've heard of other otherwise-strong applicants get turned down for reasons like this at other institutions, but it's frustrating to be in a similar position!

Edited by Guest
word choice

@existential cowboi This is frustrating indeed! I guess at this point it really depends on whether some students with similar interests with us will decline. It would be nice to know how many of us are on the waitlist so we know if it is pragmatic to expect some good news. The funding package is much better at UBC than at UofT and I would prefer to go there.

On 3/5/2017 at 8:00 AM, _Dreamer_ said:

@existential cowboi This is frustrating indeed! I guess at this point it really depends on whether some students with similar interests with us will decline. It would be nice to know how many of us are on the waitlist so we know if it is pragmatic to expect some good news. The funding package is much better at UBC than at UofT and I would prefer to go there.

I wrote to UBC last week and they said they'll notify me either by Friday (last Friday) or Tuesday this week. Not sure what that means because they didn't say anything about the waitlist and offers have already gone out so I'm assuming it's going to be a rejection. I wrote to the grad program assistant. Who have you guys been talking to? 

On 3/4/2017 at 3:50 PM, existential cowboi said:

Thank you! Part of Mac's package includes an OGS and I'm up for another faculty-wide award which I won't know about for another month.

Yes, I didn't initially get any info from UBC, either, so I emailed them. Apparently they don't rank people on the waitlist. The other thing they told me, which I thought was weird, was that although the person I'd asked to supervise was in very strong support of my application, the dept. wants to "balance" advising workloads across the faculty, and the person in question already has a few students. I've heard of other otherwise-strong applicants get turned down for reasons like this at other institutions, but it's frustrating to be in a similar position!

I had e-mailed potential supervisors in October/November and the 2 people who could supervise me said they're not taking any new students. So I ended up writing to the program director to find out which professors are taking PhD students because it was a lot of work reaching out to the 2 I did in the first place. I read their publications, tailored my research proposal accordingly, making connections between my topic and their research area and after a week or 2 of doing that, all I got was a blunt "sorry not taking new students." The program director told me straight up that if those 2 profs weren't taking students then it's unlikely that I will receive an offer. I sent the application anyway!

It was frustrating because they don't tell you anywhere who is taking on students and who isn't. Had I known a few months before, I probably would've approached the application differently. 

@Pahi I would suggest to contact them and ask. The email came from the Graduate Program Assistant so you might try her. I understand your frustration, I had a case where I put all the work you said and even visited the professor to meet in person only to find out that all correspondence was with his assistant and the professor was actually not interested. Anyway, finding a professor to work with is probably the trickiest part. Good luck with the remaining applications!

1 hour ago, PuraVida1 said:

Still haven't heard from Toronto for the MA. Does anyone know if they're sending out more acceptances or should I consider it as a rejection?

The two e-mails (acceptance + funding) I've received from them so far have only been informal – the first one from the MA director Rauna Kuokannen (sent from the grad secretary's email) and the second from the grad secretary himself – with no official letter or anything of that sort yet. It looks like there's only one person processing the admissions notifications, so perhaps they're still getting through them?

Also, if either you or anyone else happens to be wait-listed, I'll likely be declining my offer for a UK program – hopefully will free up space!

Edited by rjkingston

21 hours ago, DanielBean said:

For those that got accepted to Queen's. May I ask until when do you have to accept the offer? I want to see if there is a second round or not. 

I applied for the MA, so I don't know if this will help you or not, but they're giving me until April 10th to decide. 

22 hours ago, DanielBean said:

For those that got accepted to Queen's. May I ask until when do you have to accept the offer? I want to see if there is a second round or not. 

Hey friend, I believe the 8th of April is the deadline. Hope this helps!