Canadian Political Science Programs- Fall 2017 cycle

somuchtoread

18 hours ago, bushboy said:

Wait-listed by McGill. Was hoping for funding but that's not going to happen now I guess. If you're going to decline McGill (Pol. Sci. M.A) please do so soon to give the rest of us a fighting chance. Also applied to Waterloo's Balsillie School of International Affairs for the Masters in Global Governance (MAGG) - and no response from there.

It's usually a long shot in North American top schools for African students but wasn't expecting this so late into offer season. :(

Background: Merit LL.M from top 5 UK university + 2nd Upper B.A in International Relations (3.4/4.0) + 3 years relevant work experience (foreign policy, public policy) etc.

Hey friend, I've heard that if you follow up with MAGG admissions they'll get back to you relatively quickly and let you know where your application is at. Good luck!

Thanks qeta,

The anxiety is unbearable. McGill is a great school and Montreal is a strong contender in terms of liveability and affordability for me. Will be looking to those TA-ships for sure!

and thanks sisaidba,

Congrats on your multiple offers. I wrote to Balsillie (MAGG) and they said they're targeting 'early April' for all graduate committee decisions.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:05 PM, steve3020 said:

Has anyone applied to York's Social and Political Thought programme? I'm guessing when you guys talk about York, you mean their politics department. I'm on the waitlist for MA in SPTH so I'd like to know if anyone who got an offer will be declining. 

Also I'm wondering how waitlist works in Canada. For my waitlists at American institutions I can't do much apart from waiting until 15 April, but what about this one??

Ugh, I'm on that waitlist there too. I really like the program so I'm really hoping to hear good news soon. I've called a few times to check in and it seems like they're pretty receptive to inquiries, but still the general info is keep waiting and hopefully you'll get an email soon.

43 minutes ago, socisocisoci said:

Ugh, I'm on that waitlist there too. I really like the program so I'm really hoping to hear good news soon. I've called a few times to check in and it seems like they're pretty receptive to inquiries, but still the general info is keep waiting and hopefully you'll get an email soon.

Hey there, I'll send you a PM.

"Denied admission" -- Waterloo's Balsillie School of International Affairs for the Masters in Global Governance (MAGG). No reason given. Heartbroken.

(If you're not keen on McGill Pol.Sci. F17 please make room for us wait-listed folks)

1 hour ago, steve3020 said:

So when are the deadlines to respond to offers from Canadian universities? Can anyone tell me??

It's program specific usually. So it should be in your offer. I've heard of people getting offers as late as June. Usually people get 2 - 4 weeks depending on the programs to decide. You hear back from SPTH?

1 hour ago, socisocisoci said:

It's program specific usually. So it should be in your offer. I've heard of people getting offers as late as June. Usually people get 2 - 4 weeks depending on the programs to decide. You hear back from SPTH?

No, not yet. That's why asked the question, as I want to get a sense of how long this wait will last! 

2 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

No, not yet. That's why asked the question, as I want to get a sense of how long this wait will last! 

Gotcha, yeah, there's like no similar date to April 15th in the US. It's just whenever they finish as far as I can tell.

20 hours ago, socisocisoci said:

Gotcha, yeah, there's like no similar date to April 15th in the US. It's just whenever they finish as far as I can tell.

Just randomly checked myfile and found out that I was admitted! Will decline if I get accepted elsewhere off the waitlist. One of them is American so I will find out by this week, hopefully. The other one is Toronto. I'll keep you posted. 

Edited by steve3020

35 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

Just randomly checked myfile and found out that I was admitted! Will decline if I get accepted elsewhere off the waitlist. One of them is American so I will find out by this week, hopefully. The other one is Toronto. I'll keep you posted. 

Ah congrats! Selfishly hoping you get in to the other schools lol. 

My results so far:

University of Ottawa Political Science: Rejected

University of Ottawa Public Administration: Rejected

McGill Political Science: Rejected

York University Political Science: Waitlisted

University of Toronto Public Policy: Under Review

Laurier, Master of International Public Policy: no reply so far.

My BA (Honours) is in Political Science, with an overall average of 74% - 78% over the last two years. I completed an Internship with in the Office of a Provincial Minister. Plenty of work experience in International Development, including work travel to Central America & Mexico. Lots of work in migration, specifically TFWs. 

Solid resume and work experience, but I know my grades are killing me. YorkU was always my #1 choice because it has the Diploma in International Security. I'm really hoping I get accepted to one of these schools... or else I'll likely be off to the Military/RCMP.

Edited by Midas0

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to Carleton in Fall 2017 for MA? I officially accepted there with good funding and a TA position. Got accepted into U of T but with minimal funding so I picked Carleton, and I'm really excited to be moving to Ottawa.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:18 AM, Lashattack said:

Anyone going to Carleton in Fall 2017 for MA? I officially accepted there with good funding and a TA position. Got accepted into U of T but with minimal funding so I picked Carleton, and I'm really excited to be moving to Ottawa.

I will go to Carleton for PhD! 

End of the road.

Rejected by McGill (waitlist). And it seems to have come down to my 'International Relations' subfield area.

Even less hope for PhD application.