2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

It's weird--since I haven't talked to the DGS yet, I actually haven't heard about visitor's day or anything else. I expect that they will probably contact me more formally on Monday, though. That being said, I really want to go and visit, but whether I go on the 10th or another day remains to be seen--I have a final to give and two seminar papers to turn in by that following Monday :wacko:

Right now I'm mostly worried about the affordability of SB--I mean, they offer the full funding packages, but it looks like it's about 18K/year--a lot more than I'm making right now, but it won't go very far in a place like Santa Barbara, where housing is so expensive that even the faculty live in University-subsidized apartments. Not that I mind, but I have a partner and so we would have to get family housing, which has a waitlist of around 10 months--yikes!

We'll see, though--it's honestly a really good fit. I'll have to see the campus and talk to some of the students already attending to get a better idea of the ins and outs of living there :) 

I was accepted and I'm concerned about the same thing. My boyfriend wants to come out there with me if I go, but I'm not sure how we would make it work, especially when it seems like it's difficult to get family housing at all if you're not married or otherwise official. And I don't know how to drive or how much of a problem that would pose, but, of course, that's something I can learn if need be. According to the information I received the stipend is somewhat higher than that, though, and divided by 9 months rather than 12 it's not so bad (pretty much what I live on now, in NYC--actually a little bit more, I think). Also--I did ask about getting to the Open House. They provide two nights in a hotel and transport to/from the airport but do not offer funds toward the cost of airfare/travel. Also, I did get an email about my acceptance, but my portal still just says "submitted." Weird!

Edited by chamakay

11 minutes ago, chamakay said:

I was accepted and I'm concerned about the same thing. My boyfriend wants to come out there with me if I go, but I'm not sure how we would make it work, especially when it seems like it's difficult to get family housing at all if you're not married or otherwise official. And I don't know how to drive or how much of a problem that would pose, but, of course, that's something I can learn if need be. According to the information I received the stipend is somewhat higher than that, though, and divided by 9 months rather than 12 it's not so bad (pretty much what I live on now, in NYC--actually a little bit more, I think). Also--I did ask about getting to the Open House. They provide two nights in a hotel and transport to/from the airport but do not offer funds toward the cost of airfare/travel. Also, I did get an email about my acceptance, but my portal still just says "submitted." Weird!

Lol, maybe the four of us could share a Motel 6 room for three months while they figure out the family housing situation...

Thanks for all the good info, that's actually super helpful--I will probably try to talk to the Housing division directly if and when I go over there to visit. As they say, knowing is half the battle ;) 

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

Lol, maybe the four of us could share a Motel 6 room for three months while they figure out the family housing situation...

Thanks for all the good info, that's actually super helpful--I will probably try to talk to the Housing division directly if and when I go over there to visit. As they say, knowing is half the battle ;) 

Hahah! I'm in the same boat. I'm also married, and I put us on the family housing waitlist about a month ago but because we don't have kids they said it could take upwards of a year. You'd think they'd have all this figured out already, or give us stipends that we could actually live on. It seems like nowhere around SB if affordable in any sense of the term. The Motel 6 split is sounding like a great idea at this point ?

At any rate, it would be great if we could all meet up at the open house, so as we get closer, let's all be in touch! 

Edited by imogenshakes

On 2/12/2017 at 0:28 PM, aob981 said:

This weekend, I received nice, brief emails from professor/DGS at UGA and U of South Carolina saying that I had been accepted, welcoming me into the program and offering to answer any questions that I have, but without any kind of letter or more information about funding, visiting, etc. Is this something that might come later in a more formal communication or is it up to me to read what's on the website and ask them to go over this with me/answer specific questions I have? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Congrats! I received the same brief email from UGA last weekend. I've been watching my mailbox and inbox for the official notification, but nothing yet. And answering phone calls from the Athens area code thus far has yielded nothing but one telemarketer call. ?

3 hours ago, chocochip said:

Congrats! I received the same brief email from UGA last weekend. I've been watching my mailbox and inbox for the official notification, but nothing yet. And answering phone calls from the Athens area code thus far has yielded nothing but one telemarketer call. ?

I actually ended up emailing Michelle Baliff and she gave me the details, so you might do the same. The information she gave me was just standard information about TA-ship listed on their website. Apparently they don't officially offer you funding in form of TA-ship until after you accept. I also asked about visiting, which was helpful. 

@yanicus - congratulations on the acceptance! ??

9 hours ago, aob981 said:

I actually ended up emailing Michelle Baliff and she gave me the details, so you might do the same. The information she gave me was just standard information about TA-ship listed on their website. Apparently they don't officially offer you funding in form of TA-ship until after you accept. I also asked about visiting, which was helpful. 

@aob981 and @chocochip, I just got to Athens for my campus visit and have a million mtgs with various people in the next two days, so if you guys want me to scope anything out or ask any particular questions, let me know! I don't mind sharing what I find out! 

Also, fwiw, the town has a pretty cool vibe. Kinda southern hipster (or, at least, my version of hipster. Haha). I quite like it!

On 2/18/2017 at 9:06 AM, piers_plowman said:

With the high percentage of early modernists they're sporting, here's hoping! I think they're the all-around Holy Grail of departments, stacked in basically every area. Their placement rates in early modern jobs especially are staggering. AHH I just need to know

On 2/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congratulations!! I'mma gonna go ahead and cross it off my list... :P

Penn has also been my top choice! Maybe if we're lucky they'll take a couple of early modernists this time around?

I worked with a semi-recent UPenn grad (medievalist) here at Rochester (she got a job here as the Robbins Library Director, but just had to leave because her partner got an amazing job in England).  From my conversations with her, I'm not surprised at all that Penn's placement rate is so high.  To hear her talk, Penn puts a HUGE emphasis on professionalization.  That, plus Penn letterhead will lead to job offers.  It's second-hand info, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

Echoing engphiledu, congrats on the latest acceptances and good luck to everyone! 

Also, a question: grad stipends aren't negotiable, right? I'm accepted at a handful of programs so far, but I'm assuming that stipends are standard across the department and not negotiable the way job offers are. Can anyone speak to any of this? 

8 minutes ago, Ashley828 said:

Echoing engphiledu, congrats on the latest acceptances and good luck to everyone! 

Also, a question: grad stipends aren't negotiable, right? I'm accepted at a handful of programs so far, but I'm assuming that stipends are standard across the department and not negotiable the way job offers are. Can anyone speak to any of this? 

Some departments will negotiate with you to match offers. It depends on the school and the program and how much you expect them to raise the stipend amount. But for the most part, stipends are like salaries in that they are subject to negotiation provided you have better offers lined up as well. It helps if you ask one of your advisors/mentors to help you in the negotiation process because it can be a bit tricky. Best of luck! Its great to have options.

finally received the JHU official rejection!!!!!

still waiting on NYU (English) and NW (Performance Studies).

best of luck for everyone!!! :D

I want to preface this with the acknowledgement that this may not be the correct place to post this, and I apologize in advance! Just wanted to post somewhere to let UMN Twin Cities applicants know that my advisor/letter writer attended UMN for her PhD and her advisor is still there and a part of the graduate admissions committee. I was rejected and she reached out to him and shared with me that because of the job market for the humanities they accepted fewer students than previous years, and almost all of them already had their MA degrees (he also said he was impressed by my application and many others that would have probably been accepted in years prior, but not in the current market). As an undergraduate dipping my feet into this process, it made me feel a lot better to know with some certainty that it's not always about you, sometimes schools just can't take you for logistical/economic reasons/etc. That being said, MAJOR congratulations to those who did get in at UMN because it sounds like it was ultra competitive this round. 

Also hoping for more good news this week for myself and others! Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have already been accepted! :) 

47 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Some departments will negotiate with you to match offers. It depends on the school and the program and how much you expect them to raise the stipend amount. But for the most part, stipends are like salaries in that they are subject to negotiation provided you have better offers lined up as well. It helps if you ask one of your advisors/mentors to help you in the negotiation process because it can be a bit tricky. Best of luck! Its great to have options.

@Ashley828 ^ this sounds like pretty solid advice.

I've also heard that if you have other offers, it might be a good time to mention them. If you said to one program, "Your program, Program X, is my top choice, but school Y offered me $$$. What is the cost of living in X city? I am trying to weigh my offers to make the best decision," perhaps they would up your offer, or let you know whether or not stipends are fixed. Worst case scenario, you get some helpful information about the cost of living. 

2 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Anybody know if east coast schools are open for Presidents Day? I know some places have the day off... I JUST WANT A DECISION AAAAAHHHH

I still have to teach and go to class so I'd guess yes.

3 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Anybody know if east coast schools are open for Presidents Day? I know some places have the day off... I JUST WANT A DECISION AAAAAHHHH

Not sure which you're waiting on, but I checked and saw that Penn is NOT off today. We might hear from them 

Rejected from Temple University's PhD in psych program, wait listed for Villanova's Masters in psychology program, waiting to hear from UPenn and Pitt for their PhD in psych programs. Chances aren't looking too good :/

3 minutes ago, Jamie333 said:

Rejected from Temple University's PhD in psych program, wait listed for Villanova's Masters in psychology program, waiting to hear from UPenn and Pitt for their PhD in psych programs. Chances aren't looking too good :/

You're in the Literature scholar area, not that it matters, but as a Lit person with a BA in psych: I'm sorry, I know you must be disappointed. Psychology programs are so competitive. I remember many moons ago (2007) talking with one of my professors about applying for clinical psych grad programs, and hearing about how hard they are to get into. If you need any talk about what you can do with the UG psych degree, feel free to shoot me a message.