2017 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

It's curious the call came less than ten minutes after Warelin's first post and our flurry of responses. Let's wait it out till the end of the day!

I found that curious indeed. I've also seen it happen with other schools that people were previously discussing.

5 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

It's curious the call came less than ten minutes after Warelin's first post and our flurry of responses. Let's wait it out till the end of the day!

A bunch of years ago I wrote a villanelle that begins with the lines:

How often I have sat alone
And waited for the phone to ring,
But only heard the dial tone.

It's feeling awfully prophetic right about now...

1 minute ago, Warelin said:

I found that curious indeed. I've also seen it happen with other schools that people were previously discussing.

Most suspicious. It's also been the pattern that these schools (Princeton, Yale, and Rutgers all in the past week) call shortly after the close of the business day. That makes sense - most people work.

2 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

A bunch of years ago I wrote a villanelle that begins with the lines:

How often I have sat alone
And waited for the phone to ring,
But only heard the dial tone.

It's feeling awfully prophetic right about now...

I love it! We've all been in toxic, unevenly requited relationships with these apps for so long, we need release!

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Oh sure, let's while away the afternoon posting gifs of the saddest movie scenes we know.

*busily looks for Count Almasy carrying Katherine's body out of the cave...*

Time to break out the ol' Sufjan Stevens entire discography

5 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Oh sure, let's while away the afternoon posting gifs of the saddest movie scenes we know.

*busily looks for Count Almasy carrying Katherine's body out of the cave...*

tumblr_n83e5teqZc1tx9vazo1_500.gif

Whoo! Another acceptance! Ball State!

This is where it gets tough. Ball State isn't as well-known as Texas A&M. Texas A&M also ha better funding, a bigger faculty, and...just a lot of pluses that Ball State doesn't.

On the other hand I'm from Texas, I was happy to get away from the state for my MA. And now...it's like the state is sucking me back in. I really like the idea of moving to Muncie, Indiana.

1 minute ago, Silabus said:

Whoo! Another acceptance! Ball State!

This is where it gets tough. Ball State isn't as well-known as Texas A&M. Texas A&M also ha better funding, a bigger faculty, and...just a lot of pluses that Ball State doesn't.

On the other hand I'm from Texas, I was happy to get away from the state for my MA. And now...it's like the state is sucking me back in. I really like the idea of moving to Muncie, Indiana.

Congrats! I'm out of upvotes, but excellent Monday news!

As for the conflict between choosing schools. . . just keep in mind, you don't have to make a decision until April. So, take that time to really assess (and visit a few places!) It's what I have to keep telling myself as well!

3 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

Congrats! I'm out of upvotes, but excellent Monday news!

As for the conflict between choosing schools. . . just keep in mind, you don't have to make a decision until April. So, take that time to really assess (and visit a few places!) It's what I have to keep telling myself as well!

Thanks!

And yeah, you're right! I'll just have to remember I've got until April. And I've still got three more schools to hear back from too!

I should see about visiting them too, you're right!

1 minute ago, Silabus said:

Thanks!

And yeah, you're right! I'll just have to remember I've got until April. And I've still got three more schools to hear back from too!

I should see about visiting them too, you're right!

There have been several on here who have mentioned the importance of visiting. It puts a face to a name, so to speak, and especially if you're having difficulty deciding because they all have different positives (faculty vs. rankings/reputation vs. location, etc.), it should really help contextualize those attributes. Also, talk to your advisors/faculty/recommenders! That's what I'll be doing this week, and what better source than to ask those who only want to see you succeed? :) Ultimately, it's up to you to do the "soul searching," but tap into all of the valuable resources you have available. Yay for Monday happiness!

5 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

There have been several on here who have mentioned the importance of visiting. It puts a face to a name, so to speak, and especially if you're having difficulty deciding because they all have different positives (faculty vs. rankings/reputation vs. location, etc.), it should really help contextualize those attributes. Also, talk to your advisors/faculty/recommenders! That's what I'll be doing this week, and what better source than to ask those who only want to see you succeed? :) Ultimately, it's up to you to do the "soul searching," but tap into all of the valuable resources you have available. Yay for Monday happiness!

I mean, that's a great idea too! Talking to my professors. I think I'll do that too!

And I'll try to arrange visits wherever I can. And then by April I hope I'll be able to come to a decision.

Yeah, Mondays are good for me this application season! I like it!

22 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

@aob981 and @chocochip, I just got to Athens for my campus visit and have a million mtgs with various people in the next two days, so if you guys want me to scope anything out or ask any particular questions, let me know! I don't mind sharing what I find out! 

Also, fwiw, the town has a pretty cool vibe. Kinda southern hipster (or, at least, my version of hipster. Haha). I quite like it!

@aob981, thanks for the advice. Dr. Baliff has been quite kind about putting me in contact with POIs. 

@imogenshakes, thank you! I'm in the process of arranging my own visit, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the general atmosphere of the department.

Athens seems like a cool town, yes. :D