2017 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

What Yanaka means is that it's the best thing that could've possibly happened to you, @kaleembogor.

Hahahaha, I'll spam-like you on IG as an answer to that incredibly indecent lack of modesty, Miss Prune. 

6 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

That's amazing. So much of foreign language studies focuses on the romantic languages, so it's refreshing to see someone have such a specialized focus.

You'll probably find a lot of helpful info in this section of GC: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/39-languages/

Best of luck with your endeavors! 

Oh thank you much for these kind words.. I was afraid that I might have selected the wrong choice... 

5 minutes ago, kaleembogor said:

yes Yanaka.. i cant do anything...

Sami-sami ing forum iki preduli saka lapangan saka sinau. Yes? :) 

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Hahahaha, I'll spam-like you on IG as an answer to that incredibly indecent lack of modesty, Miss Prune. 

As one does. There is, after all, a lot of flavor in my glass.

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Wait...if she's Miss Prune, does that mean that she's Mr. Prune's daughter?

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I am a lover of all languages! So where are you at in the process? Are you preparing to apply to programs, or have you already applied? How's the season going for you? 

I did apply to SOAS London and got accepted into MA South East Asian Studies focusing on Indonesia.. Got a 50% scholarship... still have to pay half of Tuition myself.. Also arranged an scholarship for living expenses... 

This thread is getting me through the work day, seriously.

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

check out ...cat adoption sites...

This is by far the most important part of moving and starting a program.  Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.  (What, me? A crazy cat lady who works with cat adoptions?  Pish posh.)

1 hour ago, kaleembogor said:

i m not seeking funding or any other material support at this forum.. I am not a very good decision maker by the way.... So as i mentioned in my first post that I got accepted into 3 different programs at 3 different places... no idea where to go... 

I understand; it can be tough to decide, especially when all of them are offering you something appealing.

Is this a situation like with dessert where you have three pieces of cake and they all look really good and you just can't decide between, or is it like...you're not sure what's in the cake or what factors you should use to decide between the cakes? 

If it's a matter of being unsure which factors you should consider, I have created this sub-standard flow chart for your perusal: 

Edited by orphic_mel528
Added sub-standard flow chart for the secret ichthyologist's perusal.

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I'm a little anxious about funding... but yes I've been spamming a couple friends (and my mom!) about it! I know what I'm gonna do tonight... check out apartments and cat adoption sites... haha !

Congrats, first of all! And omg...I have TOTALLY been checking out cat adoption sites too! I want a kitty for grad school round 2! I'm just super uncertain right now because it's been over a month and a half since my acceptance and they keep telling me "maybe we'll know more in a couple more weeks" when it comes to funding. Ugh!

26 minutes ago, ThousandsHardships said:

Congrats, first of all! And omg...I have TOTALLY been checking out cat adoption sites too! I want a kitty for grad school round 2! I'm just super uncertain right now because it's been over a month and a half since my acceptance and they keep telling me "maybe we'll know more in a couple more weeks" when it comes to funding. Ugh!

Hahaha!! Us cat adopters/cat addicts make the world a better place! 

And that's the perk of applying late: the waiting is muuuch shorter!

54 minutes ago, biyutefulphlower said:

This thread is getting me through the work day, seriously.

This is by far the most important part of moving and starting a program.  Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.  (What, me? A crazy cat lady who works with cat adoptions?  Pish posh.)

Again, we make the world a better place! I love the turn this thread has taken today :)

43 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

...and every so often the inmates run the asylum!

Whenever you post here, I think you've been accepted to the strode program and want to offer you congratulations =P

5 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I understand; it can be tough to decide, especially when all of them are offering you something appealing.

Is this a situation like with dessert where you have three pieces of cake and they all look really good and you just can't decide between, or is it like...you're not sure what's in the cake or what factors you should use to decide between the cakes? 

If it's a matter of being unsure which factors you should consider, I have created this sub-standard flow chart for your perusal: 

OMG!! thank you so much for this wonderful chart... Yes finance is also one reason that is holding me back... If the Tuition was not too high then I would have gone for what I truly want...

Hi, I haven't really posted much on here, but I'm so excited! I got into my top choice, University of Oregon. No first year funding, but a tuition waiver & TA job the second year! Although I received a fully funded offer elsewhere, Oregon really feels like a better fit for me (not to mention that it's higher in rank than the other school), so I hope I can figure something out that can help with first year tuition. 

I know most people (and possibly common sense, haha) would advise that I go with the fully funded offer, but I feel so strongly about UO, I'm wondering if going into a little debt might be worth it... what do you all think?

4 hours ago, tennesseewilliams said:

Hi, I haven't really posted much on here, but I'm so excited! I got into my top choice, University of Oregon. No first year funding, but a tuition waiver & TA job the second year! Although I received a fully funded offer elsewhere, Oregon really feels like a better fit for me (not to mention that it's higher in rank than the other school), so I hope I can figure something out that can help with first year tuition. 

I know most people (and possibly common sense, haha) would advise that I go with the fully funded offer, but I feel so strongly about UO, I'm wondering if going into a little debt might be worth it... what do you all think?

Every professor I have ever spoken to has advised never to go into debt for a PhD. However, your financial situation might be different enough that it wouldn't matter. If you already have student loan debt, I would not continue to accrue that. This is in part because of the uncertainty of the humanities job market post-grad; will you be able to afford to pay your loan payments every month?