2017 Acceptances

8 hours ago, manals said:

Thank you. But keep your fingers crossed - you're on the Tufts waitlist and you got into BU's MA program. Things are still moving forward, right? I'm going to go to Tufts on the 16th; will you be there?

Yes thank you! I will be there on the 16th! Are you definite on Tufts or still deciding? 

8 hours ago, manals said:

Thank you. But keep your fingers crossed - you're on the Tufts waitlist and you got into BU's MA program. Things are still moving forward, right? I'm going to go to Tufts on the 16th; will you be there?

I sent you an email @manals

2 hours ago, positivitize said:

WAY TO GO MAN! WOoo!

Yes! And now, the only school left to hear from is IU. Annnnddddd... even if it is a faux pas I don't have a whole lot to lose anymore. xD

8 hours ago, erosanddust said:

Sorry for the late reply — but yes, I am definitely leaning towards UofT! Just booked my flights for visit day, and have been giddily researching the university / city. 

That's fantastic to hear! I just mailed them my acceptance confirmation form today so it's official - I'll be going to UofT this fall! :D

I look forward to seeing you on visitor's day. Also, I currently live in Toronto and have lived in the area most of my life, so if you have any questions about the city, feel free to PM me.

On 3/7/2017 at 10:36 AM, positivitize said:

I just received word that I've been accepted at the University of Indiana Bloomington's PhD program! This was my reach school--every other program that I applied to was just a MA.

I am shell-shocked. I need to sit down. I AM SITTING DOWN. What is happening!

Image result for I have no idea what's happening excited

Dude! That's awesome. I was accepted there too--PM me if you're going to the visitor's day, so that I'll be able to talk to at least one person there :) 

13 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

That's fantastic to hear! I just mailed them my acceptance confirmation form today so it's official - I'll be going to UofT this fall! :D

I look forward to seeing you on visitor's day. Also, I currently live in Toronto and have lived in the area most of my life, so if you have any questions about the city, feel free to PM me.

YES!!!!! Congratulations on your decision! And I'm 95% sure we'll be cohort-mates, as I anticipate making my decision just after the visit day. Very much looking forward to meeting you! Thanks, too, for the offer to answer questions re: Toronto — as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

17 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

As a fellow Vancouverite, I can only imagine that the most difficult adjustment will be finding yourself surrounded by people that actually like, if not love the Maple Leafs. I'm not sure that's a world I'd be ready to live in, personally. :P

50 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

YES!!!!! Congratulations on your decision! And I'm 95% sure we'll be cohort-mates, as I anticipate making my decision just after the visit day. Very much looking forward to meeting you! Thanks, too, for the offer to answer questions re: Toronto — as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

Thanks! I'm so excited and relieved now that I've finally made a decision! And of course - any GCer is welcome to be my friend! I very much look forward to meeting you too! Haha and no problem! I look forward to the pestering about Toronto :D

33 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

As a fellow Vancouverite, I can only imagine that the most difficult adjustment will be finding yourself surrounded by people that actually like, if not love the Maple Leafs. I'm not sure that's a world I'd be ready to live in, personally. :P

Don't worry, I'm definitely not one of those fans of the Maple Leafs or any other Toronto sports team for that matter. It's very easy to spot them here though - they congregate like flocks of peacocks during their respective seasons and flash around their memorabilia, honking their cars and cheering loudly whenever there's a goal. It's actually the Blue Jay fans that are more exhausting probably because they fill up the streets during summertime. But don't let that discourage you - there's a lot more to Toronto than crazy sports fans! :P

11 minutes ago, pippi said:

Can it really be possible that 10,800 people applied to Yale English this year? That seems to be what people are reporting on the results page! Can other applicants confirm?

So, that letter was written by the Director of the Graduate School.  I'm thinking Yale had 10,000+ applications to varying graduate schools, including English. 

32 minutes ago, Avalanched said:

Does anyone know what's up with USC (SoCal)? That's the last Band-Aid I'd like ripped off, and I see only one rejection on the board. 

I found a rejection on the portal a while ago-- didn't get an email to check, however.

6 hours ago, pippi said:

Can it really be possible that 10,800 people applied to Yale English this year? That seems to be what people are reporting on the results page! Can other applicants confirm?

https://web.archive.org/web/20121224043305/http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profiles/englishlanguagelit.pdf  

This data is a bit dated, but probably more realistic in terms of numbers.

Since we're having this discussion, I posted this in the Venting Threat but I'll post it here too. This is what my rejection letter from Yale said:

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 10,700 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, so we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

Take from it what you will.

9 hours ago, Hartley said:

So, that letter was written by the Director of the Graduate School.  I'm thinking Yale had 10,000+ applications to varying graduate schools, including English. 

Holy crap, I was gonna say...

From the context of the letter above, though, I'd say they probably mean the WHOLE Grad School of Arts and Sciences. I hope. Otherwise there is no hope for any of us, ever. 

Edited by ratanegra19

8 minutes ago, ratanegra19 said:

Holy crap, I was gonna say...

From the context of the letter above, though, I'd say they probably mean the WHOLE Grad School of Arts and Sciences. I hope. Otherwise there is no hope for any of us, ever. 

I would venture to guess that there aren't 10700 English Ph.D. applicants to all programs combined, let alone just Yale...

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Syracuse University. I've been accepted to their fully funded MA Program as one of their top choices!

I can't believe that I have the good fortune to choose between 3 R1 programs. Everything is unreal.

2 hours ago, positivitize said:

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Syracuse University. I've been accepted to their fully funded MA Program as one of their top choices!

I can't believe that I have the good fortune to choose between 3 R1 programs. Everything is unreal.

Yessssss!!!!