2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, Sam7mie said:

My top choice is University of Florida--has anyone heard from them? I've gotten one acceptance (Illinois State) and one rejection (University of Colorado) and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear more. 

I'm waiting on the U of Florida too. When I spoke to the DGS, I was told they will be sending out info in 'early March'. I'm hoping we'll hear in the next 2 weeks.

12 hours ago, loganondorf said:

Ahhh, congratulations! That's incredible!

11 hours ago, Gwendolen Harleth said:

That's amazing! Congrats! 

10 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congratulations!

May the funding be enough for you to not only afford to live there, but to be able to purchase a top hat, monocle, and ornate pipe!

Thanks, guys! And here's hoping for that top hat!

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, ShakesRos said:

Hi! Yes I applied to the Tufts and Brandeis PhD programs. I emailed Tufts today, so hopefully I will hear soon. I think Brandies should be notifying this week from what their website says. Fingers crossed for one of them! But, if not then BU MA it is. 

I'm with youuuuu! I've been waiting to hear from Brandeis FOREVER! I really, really, really, want to work with John Plotz!

I pray both of us receive our acceptance emails tomorrow!

Longtime lurker, thought it was about time I made an account. Congratulations to the Oxford acceptances today! I applied to the MSt (1900 - Present) and was wondering if anyone knew if they typically admit Master's students well after DPhils—looking at the results history, I can tell they send emails out in waves, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how much longer I have to wait!

I'm a bit worried about having to put a deposit down on another program before I hear back from Oxford one way or another... Does anyone know if it's ever possible to get extensions on deposit deadlines for UK universities? 

8 hours ago, phoebusrising said:

Has anyone else heard from BC?

Yeah, I just got a rejection letter in the mail today. Bummer (I wanted to live in MA), but it's been an implied rejection for like, a month now. 

8 hours ago, Silabus said:

I'm with youuuuu! I've been waiting to hear from Brandeis FOREVER! I really, really, really, want to work with John Plotz!

I pray both of us receive our acceptance emails tomorrow!

I can't believe we haven't heard anything. This is torture!! I will say that prayer for both of us too!!! Keep me posted and I will do the same! You too @Wearywary ! 

11 hours ago, Sam7mie said:

My top choice is University of Florida--has anyone heard from them? I've gotten one acceptance (Illinois State) and one rejection (University of Colorado) and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear more. 

Me too! Haven't heard anything yet. Also, I grew up in Gainesville and live there currently so if anyone has any questions, let me know!

32 minutes ago, songbird said:

Is anyone planning to decline New Hampshire or Oregon? I know they've already sent out letters, but I haven't heard from either school (for better or for worse), so I assume I'm in limbo.

I am also waiting to hear from Oregon, but I am pretty much counting it out at this point because I think they already sent all acceptances. Do they have an official waitlist? Do those who did hear from Oregon, did your portal change? 

Just received acceptance to South Carolina's MA in Rhet/Comp (hooray not every English department hated me!). My notice didn't say anything about funding, or another notification about funding to follow. 

Anyone who's already gotten admitted -- did your offer letter include funding information? Should I just assume I wasn't offered any money?

3 hours ago, songbird said:

Is anyone planning to decline New Hampshire or Oregon? I know they've already sent out letters, but I haven't heard from either school (for better or for worse), so I assume I'm in limbo.

@natalielouise

If you are talking about U of Oregon: I'm declining my offer. My portal changed to say Admitted in the department decision space, but I think that just happened today, days after I got the letter by email. I have no idea if they have a waitlist. Good luck!

1 minute ago, orphic_mel528 said:

@natalielouise

If you are talking about U of Oregon: I'm declining my offer. My portal changed to say Admitted in the department decision space, but I think that just happened today, days after I got the letter by email. I have no idea if they have a waitlist. Good luck!

Yes, U of Oregon! My portal still says "pending" so I'm trying to keep hope ~semi alive~ 

Thank you for responding, and congratulations! :) 

6 minutes ago, bkrice91 said:

Any new news or rumors about UNC Chapel Hill? 

Either on this thread or elsewhere, someone said that they spoke to someone at Chapel Hill and were told we would hear back "hopefully by the end of the week," or Monday "at the latest." Last year, they notified at 6am on a Saturday. 

I am not-so-patiently waiting to hear if I was accepted. I'd even take a waitlist at this point. 

4 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Either on this thread or elsewhere, someone said that they spoke to someone at Chapel Hill and were told we would hear back "hopefully by the end of the week," or Monday "at the latest." Last year, they notified at 6am on a Saturday. 

I am not-so-patiently waiting to hear if I was accepted. I'd even take a waitlist at this point. 

I guess we may have to brave another day, or more. 

Edited by bkrice91

2 hours ago, erosanddust said:

Anybody know where those Yale rejections are at? They're the last ones I have to hear from, and I'm eager to have all my results back. An unexpected and miraculous waitlist from them is the only thing that could complicate my decision at this point.

Same here (although I'm also waiting on UBC at this point). Are you leaning more towards UofT? I know I am!

6 hours ago, songbird said:

I know UNH is sending out at least some MA acceptances today, so if you don't already have your MA you may be hearing from them shortly.

Just got an acceptance to the U of Tennessee MA program. The email said 'Caitlyn,' although my name is Cailin. I figured it was a small mistake and posted my results. Only then did I see that the letter is addressed to Caitlin S____. Again, my name is Cailin R______. Most uncomfortable email I've ever had to reply to. 

Edited by mouthfulofstars

4 minutes ago, mouthfulofstars said:

Just got an acceptance to the U of Tennessee MA program. The email said 'Caitlyn,' although my name is Cailin. I figured it was a small mistake and posted my results. Only then did I see that the letter is addressed to Caitlin S____. Again, my name is Cailin R______. Most uncomfortable email I've ever had to reply to. 

They just emailed me back and responded with the correct letter, so that's good. I was seriously worried I was mistakenly accepted.

Got accepted into NYU`s MA Near Eastern Studies. Tuition waiver for the first year. This was the only MA program I applied too, and also the only program outside my major field of study (English Lit.).

I wanted you folks opinion on how to negotiate funding offers. I can`t join unless I receive a stipend and a tuition waiver for the whole length of the program. . Suggestions will be appreciated.

17 minutes ago, MadihaG said:

Got accepted into NYU`s MA Near Eastern Studies. Tuition waiver for the first year. This was the only MA program I applied too, and also the only program outside my major field of study (English Lit.).

I wanted you folks opinion on how to negotiate funding offers. I can`t join unless I receive a stipend and a tuition waiver for the whole length of the program. . Suggestions will be appreciated.

1. Express your gratitude for the offer. Don't be overly effusive.

2. Ask questions about cost of living and additional expenses, such as graduate education fees, and whether there is subsidy available for traveling to conferences/additional financing for thesis/dissertation research...

3. ...because you would very much like to work with the faculty in that program and continue your studies there, but you need more information to make a decision between offers according to your financial situation.

That's what I'd say, anyway.