2017 Acceptances

34 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yeah, it looks like UNC simply hasn't made their decisions yet. I would imagine they'll come this week, but they've traditionally been one of the later programs to notify. No sense in assuming an implied rejection just yet! :)

Yes you're right! I'm trying to decide where to visit but it's hard when I'm still waiting on a few and have limited vacation days. Crossing my fingers for UNC, has always been a top choice!

48 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

A bit of light relief in the face of anxiety and disappointment here on GC:

My students know I've applied for my PhD and ask me about it from time to time. I told them I hadn't heard from UW or UO yet and a kid in the back who almost never speaks very seriously says,

"Maybe they're too high to tell you."

HAHAHA that one got a literal snort from me. I love teaching undergrads so much.

A week or so ago, I told my students I'd need to cancel a couple of classes and rework the syllabus for my campus visits. One of my more vocal students pushed me to list my acceptances, and when I gave them my top choices, she started clapping loudly and the whole class felt pressured to join in. As someone who HATES being the center of attention (weird for a teacher, I know, but...they do a lot of group work, heh), I'm pretty sure I turned about 50 shades of red. haha 

Anyway. I have my fingers crossed for everyone who's still waiting. I'm kind of astonished that it takes SO long for decisions to be made. I mean, I know they have hundreds of apps to wade through, but since we all have to plan around their schedules for visiting days and uproot our lives (in most cases) in the next 6 months, it seems like they'd be required to notify sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting on my hands waiting for GWU. I saw a few posts on results for the MA program, but I just wanna know so I can either cross them off or factor them into the decision-making. And also (largely) because my ego wants to know if I got the clean sweep or not...:P

1 minute ago, imogenshakes said:

In the meantime, I'm just sitting on my hands waiting for GWU. I saw a few posts on results for the MA program, but I just wanna know so I can either cross them off or factor them into the decision-making. And also (largely) because my ego wants to know if I got the clean sweep or not...:P

Hahaha, I don't blame you one bit!

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Hahaha, I don't blame you one bit!

I feel a bit guilty to say it, honestly, but it's true. Everything in me wants to run down the hall to my mentors and tell them that I got into all of the programs I applied to. Especially because they (and everyone else) thought I only had a good shot at about half. It just feels so good to prove everyone wrong, you know?

1 minute ago, imogenshakes said:

I feel a bit guilty to say it, honestly, but it's true. Everything in me wants to run down the hall to my mentors and tell them that I got into all of the programs I applied to. Especially because they (and everyone else) thought I only had a good shot at about half. It just feels so good to prove everyone wrong, you know?

Why should you feel guilty? You've worked hard and you've earned your acceptances. To me, there's nothing wrong with having pride in oneself until you use it to hurt other people. I don't see you doing that. If anyone interprets it that way, it's because they're feeling badly about themselves, which has nothing to do with you. 

Without going on a full rant: the "humblebrag" accusations drive me batshit. If you've worked hard to be/get/do something, then you have every right to delight in that. What, are we never supposed to feel good about ourselves? Pssht. Go on, girl. 

Just now, orphic_mel528 said:

Why should you feel guilty? You've worked hard and you've earned your acceptances. To me, there's nothing wrong with having pride in oneself until you use it to hurt other people. I don't see you doing that. If anyone interprets it that way, it's because they're feeling badly about themselves, which has nothing to do with you. 

Without going on a full rant: the "humblebrag" accusations drive me batshit. If you've worked hard to be/get/do something, then you have every right to delight in that. What, are we never supposed to feel good about ourselves? Pssht. Go on, girl. 

Amen! 

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Ok, yeah, you're right. I guess it's more just that I know so many people didn't get into their dream schools or are still waiting to hear, and here I am, drowning in acceptances, haha. I'm certainly proud of myself, though. We all know this is a terribly difficult, frustrating, anxiety-inducing process, and it definitely feels good to be on the other end with something to show for it.

You are quite wonderful, Mel.

7 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Ok, yeah, you're right. I guess it's more just that I know so many people didn't get into their dream schools or are still waiting to hear, and here I am, drowning in acceptances, haha. I'm certainly proud of myself, though. We all know this is a terribly difficult, frustrating, anxiety-inducing process, and it definitely feels good to be on the other end with something to show for it.

You are quite wonderful, Mel.

Aw, thank you, that's so nice! Likewise! 

Remember, too, Imogen that whatever offer you accept will - in the fullness of this fever of a time - cause however many waitlists at your declined institutions to transform into acceptances! Not a small thing, that. 

Edited by cloudofunknowing

1 hour ago, cloudofunknowing said:

Remember, too, Imogen that whatever offer you accept will - in the fullness of this fever of a time - cause however many waitlists at your declined institutions to transform into acceptances! Not a small thing, that. 

That's true! I'm hoping to start declining offers here pretty soon. I have my list narrowed down to three (maybe 2...likely 2) programs, which means I'll be declining three others in the next couple of weeks. I'm really just trying to negotiate funding at this point, and once I get that figured out, I hope some of my spots in these programs will go to some of the wonderful GCers who might be waiting!

9 hours ago, zombiekeats said:

Still waiting on official word from Michigan, Boston, and Columbia. Ugh, I just want to rip the band aid off and have done with it! 

Hi! So I caved and emailed BU. They said all acceptances have been sent out. They rejected me and offered me the MA. Sorry for the news.  Good luck with the rest of your apps!

On 27/02/2017 at 11:38 AM, BLK1222 said:

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had heard from Tufts?

I just asked the same thing and just saw this. I applied there also. Let me know if you hear anything! 

4 minutes ago, Zelda said:

I just got into my #1 choice--University of Oregon! Perfect fit & location for me/us! So so relieved right now.

2 acceptances & 3 still unknown (they send out decisions very late evidently). I AM FREAKING OUT. haha

Congrats Zelda!!! Just curious, was it a personalized email, or did it seem like it went out to all who were accepted? 

@eatthatbee, thank you so much! <3

@clinamen, very personalized e-mail/letter attached. Spoke directly about my CV & professors that would like to work with me (I mentioned no POIs deliberately on application). Sorry, still coming down off the high right now! Thank you!

Edited by Zelda

6 hours ago, aob981 said:

Has anyone heard anything about UNC? Are we thinking implied rejection if we haven't heard yet as they'd notified by this time last year?

6 hours ago, allywally said:

wondering the same thing...

6 hours ago, piers_plowman said:

I'd guess they're yet to notify. We're only a couple days past last year's notification date for them, and they're not famous for tiny cohorts where they could send offers without any GCers getting them and posting (like Vanderbilt).

6 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yeah, it looks like UNC simply hasn't made their decisions yet. I would imagine they'll come this week, but they've traditionally been one of the later programs to notify. No sense in assuming an implied rejection just yet! :)

I'm pretty sure they haven't notified yet ;) Good luck, everybody! I was in this boat 2 years ago and the waiting was unfun. 

23 minutes ago, Zelda said:

I just got into my #1 choice--University of Oregon! Perfect fit & location for me/us! So so relieved right now.

2 acceptances & 3 still unknown (they send out decisions very late evidently). I AM FREAKING OUT. haha

Congrats!!! (And thanks for all the helpful information you've been posting.)  Enjoy the high!! :)

27 minutes ago, Zelda said:

@clinamen, very personalized e-mail/letter attached. Spoke directly about my CV & professors that would like to work with me (I mentioned no POIs deliberately on application). Sorry, still coming down off the high right now! Thank you!

Do you mind if I ask your sub-field? :)

1 hour ago, Zelda said:

43 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Just got my acceptance/offer letter from University of Oregon! Stoked, although now ancy about the decision making. Congrats @Zelda!

Way to go, you two! :D

@Zelda and @orphic_mel528 - congrats on the Oregon acceptances! That was another program that I've been kicking myself for not applying to - they have an AMAZING environmental lit program! So excited for you both! 

Good luck to those waiting on UNC! I hope they let you know soon! 

20 hours ago, urbanfarmer said:

Any chance you know anything more about UCSC? I'm just trying to figure out if they've finished notifying or if they're still in the process!

Thanks!

They've sent out the invitations and details for the visit day next week, so I imagine this means they've finished notifying. Communication has been generally funky, so things might just be moving slowly over there.

19 hours ago, aob981 said:

Has anyone heard anything about UNC? Are we thinking implied rejection if we haven't heard yet as they'd notified by this time last year?

I contacted the DGA because I'm juggling campus visits with tight RSVP timelines and want to make sure I can prioritize UNC if it's an option. Got a quick response that said they're almost done, and that decisions should come out by the end of this week or Monday at the latest.