2017 Acceptances

2 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

In all seriousness, it is a shame that we'll all be going our separate ways soon enough...like The Breakfast Club

I'd be the Judd Nelson character, because everyone else is going to move on, but you just know I'll remain here for years to come.

(Yes, yes, I know the comparison breaks down under scrutiny)

Let's be real, we'd all be the Anthony Michael Hall nerd character.

2 hours ago, chamakay said:

I have so many questions and don't want to burden everyone with all of them when I'll be attending the Open House...also, I have a maybe ridiculous fear of asking the "wrong" questions and seeming completely uninformed/coming across poorly...?

I have this same fear of asking too many questions before the prospective students weekend. I got an email from a POI offering to answer any questions and the cool, calm part of my brain is like "yeah, girl, just tell her you'll see her next month." But then the other 95% is like "ASK EVERYTHING! WHAT IS CLASS LIKE? WHERE WILL I LIVE? DO YOU HAVE MY FAVORITE KIND OF OATMEAL?!"

The struggle is very real over here.

4 minutes ago, mereandtonks said:

I have this same fear of asking too many questions before the prospective students weekend. I got an email from a POI offering to answer any questions and the cool, calm part of my brain is like "yeah, girl, just tell her you'll see her next month." But then the other 95% is like "ASK EVERYTHING! WHAT IS CLASS LIKE? WHERE WILL I LIVE? DO YOU HAVE MY FAVORITE KIND OF OATMEAL?!"

The struggle is very real over here.

I also received an email from my POI at Irvine....can I ask who yours is? We're chatting on Monday and I am insanely nervous about it.

2 minutes ago, Chburdick said:

I also received an email from my POI at Irvine....can I ask who yours is? We're chatting on Monday and I am insanely nervous about it.

I'm an early modernist (like, apparently, everyone else in this thread lol), Rebeca Helfer emailed me. We haven't set up an official time yet, but I'm waiting on her email now. 

Who is yours?? Are you going to the visit next month?

22 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Oh man. It's so true. :unsure:

25 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Let's be real, we'd all be the Anthony Michael Hall nerd character.

I feel like I'd be Ally Sheedy, TBH. Minus the dandruff. 

2 minutes ago, mereandtonks said:

I'm an early modernist (like, apparently, everyone else in this thread lol), Rebeca Helfer emailed me. We haven't set up an official time yet, but I'm waiting on her email now. 

Who is yours?? Are you going to the visit next month?

My main focus is poetics/Romanticism/feminist theory, so I'm chatting with Virginia Jackson. I am going to visit! But they've been oddly silent about details. Spending the weekend in Silverlake afterward, hoping to see a celebrity muaha. 

3 minutes ago, Chburdick said:

My main focus is poetics/Romanticism/feminist theory, so I'm chatting with Virginia Jackson. I am going to visit! But they've been oddly silent about details. Spending the weekend in Silverlake afterward, hoping to see a celebrity muaha. 

In my book, Virginia Jackson IS a celebrity! :o

Congrats to you -- she's one of the best prosodists in the business.

Just now, Wyatt's Terps said:

In my book, Virginia Jackson IS a celebrity! :o

Congrats to you -- she's one of the best prosodists in the business.

I literally was yelling to my partner and parents freaking out because she is a celebrity to me too and they were like....are we supposed to know who that is? haha

9 minutes ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

I was just waitlisted at Rutgers. I missed a phone-calll, but did receive a really kind email. I've never heard of programs calling for Wait-listers. That was really nice of Rutgers. 

Congrats! I almost applied to Rutgers and took it off my list at the last minute.

Can I ask if you applied to Columbia? I know you do Africana studies so I was curious to see if they did interviews for that field.

1 minute ago, shoestofollow said:

Congrats! I almost applied to Rutgers and took it off my list at the last minute.

Can I ask if you applied to Columbia? I know you do Africana studies so I was curious to see if they did interviews for that field.

Thanks! And I wasn't asked to do an interview. I know that some other fields did. 

Hi ProfessionalNerd,

Congrats on yr waitlist--I'm a 20th centuriest here, so I work with/have taken classes with many of our faculty in your area. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have about the program!

3 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

Dude. This makes me so happy. I still think that we were destined to meet. Everything I know about you sounds SO MUCH LIKE ME it's weird.

Don't worry about the correspondence. I've pretty much inundated my POI and the DGS at Davis with a gazillion questions, even though I'm visiting in April. As everyone keeps saying (and has been comforting to me), they've already decided we're a good fit for the program, and it's their turn to court us and convince us that they're THE program. I don't think asking lots of questions is out of place, and whenever I'm not sure if a q should have had an obvious answer, I preface with something like "I'm familiar with x from the website, but I wonder if you could tell me more about it"/some specific question about it.

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Researching and reading over everything about the program again is making me feel more excited and less stressed by the minute. There are so many amazing interdisciplinary centers and initiatives at UCSB! What did you learn about the Literature and the Mind program?

@mereandtonks, I'm glad someone else relates. I hope you're feeling a little less freaked out now too, though!

Edited by chamakay

1 minute ago, The Mountain Goat said:

They have already informed some people? Do you know which department? They are one of my op choices and tired of refreshing my portal all the time!

The results page has one acceptance up! Says it's plain literature -- I applied for the creative concentration myself! You? 

Definitely also one of my top choices! Amazing school, AAAAAMAAZING location....I'm too anxious for this stress haha!

Hello! I haven't posted much on the forum, but reading everyone else's comments, concerns, and triumphs has been the only thing keeping me sane during this process! 

This is my first time applying to Ph.D. programs, or really any kind of graduate program (I'm getting my master's now, but I got it by applying to a job position that ended up becoming a GA position), so it's been a learning process. Hoping for advice from someone more experienced...

I received a letter stating that I was placed on the wait list for the University of Tennessee. When I emailed to check to see where I am on the list, they said that they didn't have the list finished yet so they couldn't tell me. The admin. assistant also said "But if we do get a no from the first round then you are the second person in  your division. So it is very likely you would get admission and funding." 

What does the division part mean? Is that just the Literature, Criticism, & Textual Studies concentration? Or is that something more specific within that concentration? Also, does anyone know if UTK tends to move through their waitlist at all?This is my first choice in schools, and I just want to know whether I should be hopeful.

2 minutes ago, lambc said:

Hello! I haven't posted much on the forum, but reading everyone else's comments, concerns, and triumphs has been the only thing keeping me sane during this process! 

This is my first time applying to Ph.D. programs, or really any kind of graduate program (I'm getting my master's now, but I got it by applying to a job position that ended up becoming a GA position), so it's been a learning process. Hoping for advice from someone more experienced...

I received a letter stating that I was placed on the wait list for the University of Tennessee. When I emailed to check to see where I am on the list, they said that they didn't have the list finished yet so they couldn't tell me. The admin. assistant also said "But if we do get a no from the first round then you are the second person in  your division. So it is very likely you would get admission and funding." 

What does the division part mean? Is that just the Literature, Criticism, & Textual Studies concentration? Or is that something more specific within that concentration? Also, does anyone know if UTK tends to move through their waitlist at all?This is my first choice in schools, and I just want to know whether I should be hopeful.

"Division" is a strange word to use, but I imagine they mean concentration.  As in, if the admitted people in your field (early modern, medieval, whatever your field may be) turn down their places, it's likely you'll get in in their stead.  Places tend to use this waitlist system as it gives them a more even field of admits.  But that's just my best guess -- possible they mean something else!

4 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

The results page has one acceptance up! Says it's plain literature -- I applied for the creative concentration myself! You? 

Definitely also one of my top choices! Amazing school, AAAAAMAAZING location....I'm too anxious for this stress haha!

I have a friend who went there, so I spend a couple days on their campus, it's awesome. 

I applied to the Psychology department, I know some people have already had interviews in January, so I'm not getting my hopes high, but it'd be a really good fit for me. 

Good luck and keep us updated!

Hey all!

Not sure why, but the board isn't letting me post a decision at the moment. I just received a rejection from Umich's PhD in English and Women's Literature program. Pretty bummed, but not too surprised. They said they only accepted two people, so here's hoping at least one of them was one of the lovely people on here!

5 minutes ago, mouthfulofstars said:

Hey all!

Not sure why, but the board isn't letting me post a decision at the moment. I just received a rejection from Umich's PhD in English and Women's Literature program. Pretty bummed, but not too surprised. They said they only accepted two people, so here's hoping at least one of them was one of the lovely people on here!

nah, it posted. Sorry to hear that

9 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Anyone here belong to the posted UCSC acceptance? :o  Dying for details hahah

6 minutes ago, The Mountain Goat said:

They have already informed some people? Do you know which department? They are one of my op choices and tired of refreshing my portal all the time!

This was me! I got a phone call--probably the kindest phone call of my life--from a POI this afternoon. Accepted to the PhD program in Literature, with top funding award! Waitlisted at UChicago and waiting to hear from a few more programs. Definitely excited about this option. It's a great fit for my interests (postmodernism, self-consciousness) and a location I could be happy in for many years. 

41 minutes ago, englishing said:

This was me! I got a phone call--probably the kindest phone call of my life--from a POI this afternoon. Accepted to the PhD program in Literature, with top funding award! Waitlisted at UChicago and waiting to hear from a few more programs. Definitely excited about this option. It's a great fit for my interests (postmodernism, self-consciousness) and a location I could be happy in for many years. 

That's awesome, congratulations mate!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UChicago!