2017 Acceptances

4 hours ago, allywally said:

Anyone want to claim the Boston University acceptance? 

Hey, sorry for making everyone nervous! That was me--I've been a lurker so just made a profile. I got an acceptance email from them on Wednesday. It's strange that no one else has posted an acceptance yet.

15 hours ago, chamakay said:

Oh god, I'm so sorry! That's what too much excitement gets me!

No worries--I have trouble keeping track of who says what on this thread sometimes, too. We're working with 50+ pages and in only about 2 months worth of posts!

To answer your question, I learned about the program originally through reading the "Acknowledgements" section of Lisa Zunshine's book, Why We Read Fiction. It's a great read, and one of the first bona fide works in the field of cognitive literary studies, as opposed to cognitive science per se. She talked about how she'd gotten a lot of her ideas through the great seminars at Santa Barbara, though I don't think it was called "Literature and Mind" at the time. I did some research, and found that that cognitive approach tradition is still going strong--it looks pretty cool!

It's actually not a program so much as a reading group that offers some seminars, so if I choose to go to UCSB I would still be getting a "normal" PhD in English (whatever the hell that means), However, I'd do my best to work with some of the professors doing cognitive literary studies--there's also an option to do one part of your comps exams in the "Literature and Mind" subfield!

Woo...we're all such nerds here :) 

22 minutes ago, perceval said:

Hey, sorry for making everyone nervous! That was me--I've been a lurker so just made a profile. I got an acceptance email from them on Wednesday. It's strange that no one else has posted an acceptance yet.

It is, actually! And two rejections already, but no waitlisting; it seems unusual. Guess we will have to wait and see. 

Edit: In my puzzling over this, I forgot to mention: congratulations!! :)

Edited by zombiekeats

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Anyone else hoping for a 6:00 AM email from UNC tomorrow morning? Because that's when acceptances went out last year: 6:00 AM on the last Saturday of February... :unsure:

That would be lovely. We had three explosive weeks, but I think it'll be a tooth pull the rest of the way. I just want to be able to start parsing what I have.

So I have lurked long enough

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from Loyola (Chicago)? I only applied to 3 schools (IU Bloomington, Loyola, and Penn State). I have been waitlisted at Penn and accepted at IU. I just need to know so I can stop obsessively checking my email

1 hour ago, jaewoww said:

So I have lurked long enough

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from Loyola (Chicago)? I only applied to 3 schools (IU Bloomington, Loyola, and Penn State). I have been waitlisted at Penn and accepted at IU. I just need to know so I can stop obsessively checking my email

I was just accepted via phone!

I posted it in another thread, but I have to post it on this one to make it feel official. 

Second grad school acceptance: Villanova University!!
I don't get info on funding until March, and funding makes the world go around, but I am so proud of myself for getting this far. 

I have options, and there are still 3 grad schools to go. Be still my heart.

16995965_1448819225171022_7101372524296993653_n.jpg.6ae232def545762103a10f4a254c6b87.jpg

5 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

I posted it in another thread, but I have to post it on this one to make it feel official. 

Second grad school acceptance: Villanova University!!
I don't get info on funding until March, and funding makes the world go around, but I am so proud of myself for getting this far. 

I have options, and there are still 3 grad schools to go. Be still my heart.

16995965_1448819225171022_7101372524296993653_n.jpg.6ae232def545762103a10f4a254c6b87.jpg

Yay!!! So cool, congrats! I'm working my way to Villanova, too :lol: 

This is real desperate and nerdy but: just checked University of Washington portal and saw a box about creating a student ID. Went through the steps and it made me a UW email and everything. Has this always been there? 

36 minutes ago, englishing said:

This is real desperate and nerdy but: just checked University of Washington portal and saw a box about creating a student ID. Went through the steps and it made me a UW email and everything. Has this always been there? 

Yeah, I did that a few weeks ago and thought it meant maybe a decision had been made, but it still only says "submitted" and I haven't heard anything. :(

On 2/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, KikiDelivery said:

Oregon is just about the last school I am really waiting for! The other 4 schools that I applied to were great, but not perfect fits. I was also considering Washington, but their ecocritics do not really work in my area. If I go there, I am going to have to get my Earthquake gear on!

It's going to be a tough choice for me between Pitt, Boulder, MSU, and Oregon if I get accepted there.

For those of you who applied to Oregon, my friend is currently in the program and talked to the DGS this week. Decisions have been made as of Thursday and are being announced soon. Good luck, y'all!

1 hour ago, Pezpoet said:

For those of you who applied to Oregon, my friend is currently in the program and talked to the DGS this week. Decisions have been made as of Thursday and are being announced soon. Good luck, y'all!

I don't know if I'm feeling a surge of relief or anxiety! Probably both. But, alas, thank you for the general information.

Signed,

A Lurker

8 hours ago, natalielouise said:

Yeah, I did that a few weeks ago and thought it meant maybe a decision had been made, but it still only says "submitted" and I haven't heard anything. :(

I can't speak with authority on the PhD program at UW, but I know that when I applied to the MA a couple of years ago it took them a REALLY long time to reply--I didn't actually get my official rejection until around April 10th, even though I had emailed them. I'm from Washington, and I've known a lot of folks who were associated with UW--they kind of have a reputation for taking longer than most to make their decisions.

1 minute ago, ratanegra19 said:

I can't speak with authority on the PhD program at UW, but I know that when I applied to the MA a couple of years ago it took them a REALLY long time to reply--I didn't actually get my official rejection until around April 10th, even though I had emailed them. I'm from Washington, and I've known a lot of folks who were associated with UW--they kind of have a reputation for taking longer than most to make their decisions.

That's too bad. I think I am technically an MA applicant since I only have a BA. I explicitly stated in my app that I wanted to be considered for the PhD program but they changed it so I would be considered as an MA applicant because, "their transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive" lol but I'm pretty sure that also means I won't get funding if I am admitted as an MA student. From what I've seen on here it seems UW is really bad about funding students? It's not my top choice so I'm okay waiting, but I am curious to see what will happen. 

1 minute ago, natalielouise said:

That's too bad. I think I am technically an MA applicant since I only have a BA. I explicitly stated in my app that I wanted to be considered for the PhD program but they changed it so I would be considered as an MA applicant because, "their transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive" lol but I'm pretty sure that also means I won't get funding if I am admitted as an MA student. From what I've seen on here it seems UW is really bad about funding students? It's not my top choice so I'm okay waiting, but I am curious to see what will happen. 

From what I've heard and read (unless they've changed recently) is that they only fund about half the students. Funding is certainly available, but they seem to have the notion that competition for funding is good for students' success :/

UW is a good school, and some of my professors at WWU went there--they just seem to have an uber-competitive cohort culture that I'm not really down with. That's one reason I didn't apply.

Still, here's crossing my fingers for you! Who knows--you may very well be offered funding :) 

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

I wrote this on another thread (or earlier on this one, don't remember)... but I got into their PhD program two years ago. I was notified on March 13, and they said they "couldn't guarantee" funding.

Does anyone on here feel bad about declining programs? All the ones that have taken me (even the ones that have waitlisted me) have been so kind. I just feel awkward about the fact that i'll have to decline some without seeing them. I can't afford (time-wise) visiting each program, although I wish I could. How are the rest of you feeling about you decision making process? 

1 hour ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

Does anyone on here feel bad about declining programs? All the ones that have taken me (even the ones that have waitlisted me) have been so kind. I just feel awkward about the fact that i'll have to decline some without seeing them. I can't afford (time-wise) visiting each program, although I wish I could. How are the rest of you feeling about you decision making process? 

It's not personal, it's business. They know it and aren't hurt by your decision; they know how the process goes. But I know what you mean; I almost feel like I'm projecting my, "PLEASE LOVE ME!" pre-acceptance emotions into them. 

1 minute ago, orphic_mel528 said:

It's not personal, it's business. They know it and aren't hurt by your decision; they know how the process goes. But I know what you mean; I almost feel like I'm projecting my, "PLEASE LOVE ME!" pre-acceptance emotions into them. 

This is the common sense answer, but it feels strange all the same. 

Just now, loganondorf said:

It's so weird! Looks like everyone's having a nice, quiet Sunday away from grad-related stress. :)

Yeah--lucky them :lol: 

It's really funny to observe the different stages of the forum: first, everybody panicking and asking questions about applications and programs; the anxious waiting before expected dates come up; then the awful fear of the progressively official answers--and finally, the topics asking for advice on decisions and the calm realization that positive answers are not to be expected anymore :D