2017 Acceptances

42 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

It's so quiet here!

Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!

Yup. Preeetty empty.

Edit: rest assured, I am still obsessively refreshing my email. I'm not sure what I'm going to use the internet for after this is done. What did I do before? Go on Facebook? Who knows.

Edited by zombiekeats

5 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!

Yup. Preeetty empty.

Edit: rest assured, I am still obsessively refreshing my email. I'm not sure what I'm going to use the internet for after this is done. What did I do before? Go on Facebook? Who knows.

Hahaha true! Well you can look for a nice vacation before 7 years of doctoral program :) 

My official acceptance letter came in yesterday. It was mailed to my home instead of to my P.O. Box where I'm at school. Weird. Anyway my grandfather took it upon himself to open it. He called me yesterday like: "This is a great deal! You're going to get health insurance!" xD Thanks, can you send that to me?!

I got offered a spot in the UMD MA program yesterday :)

Funding is questionable and I don't know if I'll take the offer given that I have guaranteed funding in Nebraska, but it still feels good! I'm sure lots of people get the "ok not the PhD but try out MA program" email (or consolation prize, as I've heard it called) but I'm still counting it as a win. 

Quick question about accepting an offer!:

If I was given until the 28th of February to accept/decline an offer, does that mean I can let them know ON that day? Or do I need to let them know before that date? I'm probably overthinking this...

Congrats to everyone on their English MA acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting!

25 minutes ago, Kate- said:

If I was given until the 28th of February to accept/decline an offer, does that mean I can let them know ON that day? Or do I need to let them know before that date? I'm probably overthinking this...

Congrats to everyone on their English MA acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting!

I would probably accept by the 27st, but I'm not sure what the actual guidelines are.

That's such an early deadline!

Guys, after that Oscars flub I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have nightmares that I didn't actually get into a PhD program. "I'm sorry, but there's been a mistake—we've actually admitted Moonlight to the English PhD program at Notre Dame!" 

9 hours ago, Kate- said:

Can programs do that? At least in the USA I don't think most programs can legally require a response until April 15 (at least if the acceptance comes with funding), and we can withdraw acceptances any time through the 15th. This thing.  I have no idea if it applies to you! 

11 hours ago, CrunchyMamademic said:

I would probably accept by the 27st, but I'm not sure what the actual guidelines are.

That's such an early deadline!

Thank you! And I know, I wish I had a bit more time, but it was a VERY competitive offer, so I'm wondering if that's why?

2 hours ago, Avalanched said:

Can programs do that? At least in the USA I don't think most programs can legally require a response until April 15 (at least if the acceptance comes with funding), and we can withdraw acceptances any time through the 15th. This thing.  I have no idea if it applies to you! 

I'm Canadian and only applied to Canadian schools, so that won't apply to me! My later accept/decline date was only March 7th. I only applied to both schools, and both gave me their decision very fast.

29 minutes ago, CrunchyMamademic said:

I bet that's the case. I have a March 15th decision deadline, which I attributed to the funding offer as well. 

Same! I'm now curious about which universities you guys are talking about haha. Mine's pretty obvious based on my signature. 

So, I'm wondering what y'all think about the reliability of implied rejections from Yale, Brown, and U. Michigan.  They are the only three I'm waiting for official responses from, and I'm starting to feel like I want to make a final decision.  I haven't combed through the results page at length, but it seems like these schools have already sent out acceptances.  Am I jumping the gun?  These schools would obviously be contenders if I had offers from them, but it seems like those offers aren't going to come. Is it really just wise to wait and get the official responses?  Or can I finally commit and start getting pumped about the program I'll attend?  I sort of feel like I want to express to the school I'm currently leaning toward that I am eager and excited to join.

Edited by Hartley

4 minutes ago, Hartley said:

So, I'm wondering what y'all think about the reliability of implied rejections from Yale, Brown, and U. Michigan.  They are the only three I'm waiting for official responses from, and I'm starting to feel like I want to make a final decision.  I haven't combed through the results page at length, but it seems like these schools have already sent out acceptances.  Am I jumping the gun?  These schools would obviously be contenders if I had offers from them, but it seems like those offers aren't going to come. Is it really just wise to wait and get the official responses?  Or can I finally commit and start getting pumped about the program I'll attend?  I sort of feel like I want to express to the school I'm currently leaning toward that I am eager and excited to join.

I have the same question about two different programs! It seems like CU Boulder and NYU also notified already (acceptances and some waitlists) but I haven't heard either way. I am kind of assuming rejection at this point, and I know NYU is notorious for notifying their rejects very late in the season, but it's hard when you don't have an official notice. 

18 minutes ago, Hartley said:

I think what I'd do is

a- assume those are rejections

b- if you're so excited about a specific program, do you really think you'd change your mind if one of the last three schools turned out to send you an acceptance? I mean, for reasons other than rank? If you're super excited about one program then you shouldn't regret accepting their offer, no?

Anyway you still have time to wait, but if you're getting really excited and need to move on, then ignore the pending 3 answers! It also means it was meant to happen. If Yale like absolutely wanted you and thought you were a terrific fit, I'm sure you'd know already. 

By the way I have no idea if that's how they work in the adcomms, but I think that being absolutely excited about something means that's what you should go for!

Edited by Yanaka

22 minutes ago, Hartley said:

I don't think you have anything to gain by committing this early. While I think you're probably right to assume those are implied rejections, it can't hurt to wait a few more weeks until you get final word. If you ultimately end up attending the program you're currently leaning toward, it's not like committing now as opposed to, say, March 30th, is going to score you any extra points. They know that other programs are still notifying and won't (or shouldn't, at the very least) expect you to solidify you position right now. 

On 2/24/2017 at 1:28 PM, ratanegra19 said:

No worries--I have trouble keeping track of who says what on this thread sometimes, too. We're working with 50+ pages and in only about 2 months worth of posts!

To answer your question, I learned about the program originally through reading the "Acknowledgements" section of Lisa Zunshine's book, Why We Read Fiction. It's a great read, and one of the first bona fide works in the field of cognitive literary studies, as opposed to cognitive science per se. She talked about how she'd gotten a lot of her ideas through the great seminars at Santa Barbara, though I don't think it was called "Literature and Mind" at the time. I did some research, and found that that cognitive approach tradition is still going strong--it looks pretty cool!

It's actually not a program so much as a reading group that offers some seminars, so if I choose to go to UCSB I would still be getting a "normal" PhD in English (whatever the hell that means), However, I'd do my best to work with some of the professors doing cognitive literary studies--there's also an option to do one part of your comps exams in the "Literature and Mind" subfield!

Woo...we're all such nerds here :) 

Thanks for the info! I was a little unclear at first about whether the centers were programs/affiliated with classes or not so it's nice to have more clarification. It sounds like the centers are a good opportunity to collaborate and build community.

Edited by chamakay

56 minutes ago, Hartley said:

Unfortunately I think Brown and Michigan are done - I was admitted to both and I've gotten detailed info about campus visits, so I'm pretty certain all acceptances are out. As for Yale I'm in the same boat as you - probably rejection as well.

On another note, rejected at Columbia too. Got a personal email from a person I interviewed with, not an official notice from the school. But, it does mean that if people don't hear today, it's likely an implied rejection.

Hope this helps people out: I've been accepted into Columbia's Ph.D. program in English and Comparative Literature. Received an email from the DGS this morning, and my acceptance letter appears on the application website. I was not interviewed, so this was totally unexpected. The email says over 540 people applied and they hope to admit on average 16 students. Not sure how that translates into number of people accepted. 

Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting! 

1 hour ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Same! I'm now curious about which universities you guys are talking about haha. Mine's pretty obvious based on my signature. 

University of Victoria and Queen's University! I would have the info in my signature if I knew how to do it...

4 minutes ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

Hope this helps people out: I've been accepted into Columbia's Ph.D. program in English and Comparative Literature. Received an email from the DGS this morning, and my acceptance letter appears on the application website. I was not interviewed, so this was totally unexpected. The email says over 540 people applied and they hope to admit on average 16 students. Not sure how that translates into number of people accepted. 

Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting! 

Congrats @PoeticsofPossibility! Time for me to continually refresh my inbox. I've pretty much assumed that I've gotten all my positive decisions for the season, but I'm pleased with how things have gone. 

13 minutes ago, Kate- said:

I would have the info in my signature if I knew how to do it...

- Go to your Account Settings (upper left-hand corner / shows up when you click the arrow near your name)

- Go to Signature (5th tab on the left)

Whatever you set it as will show up on everything you post. There are font and color options, as well as an upload file option for pictures. 

Hope that helps!