2017 Acceptances

8 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I have a strange feeling that his is the last face a lot of people saw before they died.

"They don't use the entire coffee bean to get all the rich flavor of coffee, but we do use the entire human liver!"

47 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

"They don't use the entire coffee bean to get all the rich flavor of coffee, but we do use the entire human liver!"

I had to take a mental health break from GC and this is a delightful discussion to return to. 

Have any older adjuncts on here considered that they might be competing with former students for admission? That occurred to me today. 

Does anyone know if Yale and Columbia interview all potential acceptances? I'm not really holding out hope anyway, but wondering if there's any way I can figure I was rejected before officially receiving a decision. Also, has anyone received a rejection from Berkeley yet? Wish they would send those out already!!

1 minute ago, chamakay said:

Does anyone know if Yale and Columbia interview all potential acceptances? I'm not really holding out hope anyway, but wondering if there's any way I can figure I was rejected before officially receiving a decision. Also, has anyone received a rejection from Berkeley yet? Wish they would send those out already!!

I don't think Yale does interviews. I interviewed with Columbia a couple weeks ago - it was three professors from my subfield. They state on their website that, unlike other schools who use a holistic committee made up of people from across the entire department, Columbia sends all the apps from a particular subfield to the faculty in that subfield only. This makes for a more specialized admissions process, and also means that each subfield committee probably has relative autonomy.

My point: just because some subfields interviewed DOES NOT mean that all of them will, meaning there is still a chance of acceptance without interview. I should note that this is an exception: most of the time, no interview means no acceptance.

2 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

I don't think Yale does interviews. I interviewed with Columbia a couple weeks ago - it was three professors from my subfield. They state on their website that, unlike other schools who use a holistic committee made up of people from across the entire department, Columbia sends all the apps from a particular subfield to the faculty in that subfield only. This makes for a more specialized admissions process, and also means that each subfield committee probably has relative autonomy.

My point: just because some subfields interviewed DOES NOT mean that all of them will, meaning there is still a chance of acceptance without interview. I should note that this is an exception: most of the time, no interview means no acceptance.

Thanks so much. That's really helpful.

Could I ask what your subfield is?

Edited by chamakay

18 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I'm just waiting to see those acceptances into UPenn.

Seriously! Me too. They're pretty much the last bastion for me before I start some serious planning.

16 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I had to take a mental health break from GC and this is a delightful discussion to return to. 

Welcome back! :)

11 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

In all seriousness, any more buzz around Rutgers? I see 2 acceptances on the board, but nothing else. Considering the timeline, I'd think all their offers have gone out now, no? 

Yeah, I'm guessing they're done. It's possible that there's an invisible waitlist, but I suspect that their definitive "we want you" offers have gone out.

I'm thinking the same is true of Yale, despite the presence of only two acceptances for them as well. (Also, I wish some of the acceptances on the results board would be a bit more descriptive... It's Yale! You're allowed to gush a bit!)

29 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I'm just waiting to see those acceptances into UPenn. I'm excited and it isn't even my application season.

(Also, I need a roommate moving to Philadelphia next school year.)

Oh god I've been knee-deep in their course listings all morning, living imagined lives.

Just now, zombiekeats said:

I saw that! Ughhhh I need detail. Waiting on Michigan (though thinking rejection or waitlist now), UPenn, Columbia and Boston.

It's a shame that people don't post more information at times. Scores? Subfield? Publications? Teaching experience? MA degree? Favorite color? (Fine, the last one may not be relevant.)

1 minute ago, Warelin said:

It's a shame that people don't post more information at times. Scores? Subfield? Publications? Teaching experience? MA degree? Favorite color? (Fine, the last one may not be relevant.)

It was enough to get someone thrown into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, so I think you're right to ask. 

Just now, orphic_mel528 said:

It was enough to get someone thrown into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, so I think you're right to ask. 

Pink! ...no blue! Aaaaahhh...

Upon seeing that Penn acceptance, the Gorge of Eternal Peril is looking pretty enticing right about now...

1 minute ago, Warelin said:

Rest assured if that phone call comes in I will post my results with as much info as possible, including potentially annoying habits I might have as a roommate, favorite color, favorite way to spend a Sunday, etc. :P