2017 Acceptances

41 minutes ago, Caien said:

You should go ahead and post Yanicus, this is supposed to be a celebratory thread! And anyway, the reason we check results boards is because we'd rather an implied rejection than limbo.

Btw if the Princeton offer is you: 1. Congratulations, and 2. I'm already a hot mess and I dare say so are the others still waiting so no harm having your moment!

You should definitely feel free to say where, you're allowed to be proud and excited! Plus the only recent over the phone results are Princeton so I kinda just assumed anyway.

Also, same Caien, like hot mess doesn't even describe it

Maybe it's Valentine's Day, or maybe it's the ridiculously expensive application fee, but CUNY limbo has me all in a tizzy -- so much so that I created an account to commiserate with others. Acceptances, waitlists, and now a rejection notified, but still nothing for some of us. ???

It wasn't me who posted on the results page, but yes I did get a call from Princeton! More importantly, thank you guys so much for being so supportive - actually, as someone who had a long winding path to getting here (won't get into details), it means a lot to me to feel welcomed and validated in the wonderful English community, both all of you here and also all the incredible people I've talked to and met in this journey.

Edited by yanicus

1 minute ago, yanicus said:

It wasn't me who posted on the results page, but yes I did get a call from Princeton! More importantly, thank you guys so much for being so supportive - actually, as someone who had a long winding path to getting here (won't get into details), it means a lot to me to feel welcomed and validated in the wonderful English community.

Congratulations! That's a huge deal! Was it Prof Rivett who phoned you?

Right @phoebusrising!? I've worked out that in the past they've spread calls over 2 days, and seeing as its past midnight here if I were to get in they wouldn't call me now. So part of my brain is telling me to go to sleep as I won't know until tomorrow either way, another part is like 'sleep? lol no', and another part is like god you're such a fool for hoping you'll be accepted to Princeton...

24 minutes ago, Caien said:

Right @phoebusrising!? I've worked out that in the past they've spread calls over 2 days, and seeing as its past midnight here if I were to get in they wouldn't call me now. So part of my brain is telling me to go to sleep as I won't know until tomorrow either way, another part is like 'sleep? lol no', and another part is like god you're such a fool for hoping you'll be accepted to Princeton...

Well that actually makes me feel a bit better, that they spread their calls, I didn't know that/notice that, like all hope is not yet lost (I'm hanging on to a very very tiny bit of it but lbr I'm fully expecting for it to be crushed). I know exactly that feeling, like always thinking like you applied because you believe in yourself and that you're good enough and yet at the same time being like lol yeah right 

Edited by phoebusrising

Haven't posted for a while.
I've got three rejection in a row and zero acceptance.... felt really disheartened for a while and quit my result-page-checking routine/obsession (probably a good thing). While I was indeed much remedied by the cheerful vibe here, as always, I was also thinking about how I could improve myself next time if I receive no acceptance at the end of this cycle. Dealing with negative emotions aside, anyone is up to practical change? I only have three things in mind: sign up for a Spartan Race, read on, and write on (then I'll force myself to stick to a balanced schedule). Anything else? Or any reading list/writing challenge/productivity tips/academic guidebook?

Edited by cloudyword

14 hours ago, KikiDelivery said:

I got into CU-Boulder's English PhD program! I want to cry, the amount of choices is getting overwhelming and I just feel so validated. 

that's great!!! congrats!!!!!!! :D:D

now you will start wishing you got rejected instead hahaha

keep the faith!! <3 <3

I AM LITERALLY SHAKING AT THIS MOMENT BUT I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO MY FIRST CHOICE PROGRAM!!! MsC at University of Edinburgh in US Literature: Cultural Values from Revolution to Empire. 

I emailed them yesterday asking for an update and they said they hadn't had a chance to look at my application yet but would soon and I just received an unconditional offer!! 

No word on funding again but I thought I had NO CHANCE and I've been accepted?? I am so emotional and so overwhelmed because this is going to be a tough decision but I am SO HAPPY  

1 minute ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

I AM LITERALLY SHAKING AT THIS MOMENT BUT I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO MY FIRST CHOICE PROGRAM!!! MsC at University of Edinburgh in US Literature: Cultural Values from Revolution to Empire. 

I emailed them yesterday asking for an update and they said they hadn't had a chance to look at my application yet but would soon and I just received an unconditional offer!! 

No word on funding again but I thought I had NO CHANCE and I've been accepted?? I am so emotional and so overwhelmed because this is going to be a tough decision but I am SO HAPPY  

Congratulations on your acceptance and clean sweep. It sounds like you'll be extremely happy wherever you end up and make at least 3 people from the waitlist happy. :)

16 minutes ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

shake rattle and roll!!!!

congratulations!!!! :D:D

25 minutes ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

O frabjous day! Calooh! Callay!

7 hours ago, cloudyword said:

Haven't posted for a while.
I've got three rejection in a row and zero acceptance.... felt really disheartened for a while and quit my result-page-checking routine/obsession (probably a good thing). While I was indeed much remedied by the cheerful vibe here, as always, I was also thinking about how I could improve myself next time if I receive no acceptance at the end of this cycle. Dealing with negative emotions aside, anyone is up to practical change? I only have three things in mind: sign up for a Spartan Race, read on, and write on (then I'll force myself to stick to a balanced schedule). Anything else? Or any reading list/writing challenge/productivity tips/academic guidebook?

While I was waiting to hear from schools, I started a massive goal list. I began with the goals I want to achieve in 10 years, then broke it down to what I will need to have accomplished in 5 years to be on track for those big goals. I broke it down even further into what I need to accomplish yearly in order to meet those 5 year goals, and finally what I should do each month. It was really helpful for giving me a visual path to my goals, but also--and this is so important!--did not hinge on my being accepted to a program this year. Getting into a program would certainly help, but I had to stick to goals that were attainable (albeit challenging) through hard work alone NOT something dependent on others. 

1 hour ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

Oh well I guess that solves your funding or debt issue!!! Congrats :D