2017 Acceptances

33 minutes ago, EasierSaïdThanDonne said:

Got accepted to USC's doctoral program today! So excited. Any other acceptances out there??

In that lovely limbo where my portal says nothing but my phone hasn't rung. Were you the acceptance on the results board? Did the DGS call you or your POI, and did you get the Dornsife? 

Ok, I've been lurking in the background, but I had to make an account. I was waitlisted at UCLA! Received two rejections this weekend (Chicago and Stanford), so I'll take anything. Does anyone know anything about how long "short" waitlisted are / how likely it is to move off the waitlist?

Also also, does anyone know what's up with Berkeley? I've still heard nothing. . .

4 hours ago, Avalanched said:

In that lovely limbo where my portal says nothing but my phone hasn't rung. Were you the acceptance on the results board? Did the DGS call you or your POI, and did you get the Dornsife? 

Hi! Yes I was the acceptance. It was a phone call from the DGS and I got the provost fellowship. There was no change in my status so fingers crossed for you!

50 minutes ago, EasierSaïdThanDonne said:

Hi! Yes I was the acceptance. It was a phone call from the DGS and I got the provost fellowship. There was no change in my status so fingers crossed for you!

is it pathetic that I am still hoping for a JHU acceptance?? hahaha

5 hours ago, EasierSaïdThanDonne said:

Got accepted to USC's doctoral program today! So excited. Any other acceptances out there??

congrats!!!!!

1 hour ago, EasierSaïdThanDonne said:

Thank you for this! I don't know how it helps but somehow my empty portal looks more hopeful than it did a couple hours ago :) Many many congratulations to you!!!! That's so fantastic that you got that fellowship!! 

6 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

I saw on a different thread that NYU won't go out until next week. Someone talked to the DGS. :/ 

Aaaarrrrrhhh. But does it really apply to all programs? That's the question...

Valentine's Day gave me acceptances to Literature MAs at both ASU and NAU in my home state, but sadly my first choice school didn't send me anything. </3 

NAU and ASU were my safe schools, but it's still validating to be accepted! 

I hope everyone else has an equally academically satisfying Valentine's Day in your respective time zones! 

8 minutes ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

I hope everyone else has an equally academically satisfying Valentine's Day in your respective time zones! 

Ugh--not very promising for now! I tried asking around if assisting a prof with their research is something people do here, and it doesn't seem to be the case. *venting on the wrong thread*

Congrats on two acceptances, @CaffeineCardigan! Are they good fits even if they're safety fits?

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Congrats on two acceptances, @CaffeineCardigan! Are they good fits even if they're safety fits?

Thank you! Probably good fits. I feel like I know the area and the communities pretty well so I would be able to jump right in and start working on things that interest me. If I don't get into my 4th school, though, I'm leaning towards Trinity. Doing a masters abroad comes with a whole new set of stresses, but in the emails I've exchanged with the program director that feels like the best fit so far. 

@Yanaka Thanks! I really hope so. I'm worried about the timeline for going from a 1 year masters to a PhD, but that's a later-me problem. I've been in Japan for two years now and while I'm ready to move on from where I am currently, I'm not quite ready to go back to the US. 

Okay, so don't ask me how I know this b/c I am too embarrassed to talk about it BUT I have some deets for a few programs. I hope this helps calm some nerves or at least direct the anxiety towards specific days as opposed to a large and formless cloud of nerves.

Cornell: By end of this week

Princeton: (Tentatively) by end of this week

Columbia: Not until the 24th of Febraury

NYU: starting next Tuesday

9 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

Okay, so don't ask me how I know this b/c I am too embarrassed to talk about it BUT I have some deets for a few programs. I hope this helps calm some nerves or at least direct the anxiety towards specific days as opposed to a large and formless cloud of nerves.

hahahahahaha

well what would calm some nerves is for us to make sure know how the reliable direct source told you - and who that was!
otherwise, you're just making it worse hehehe

please?

:(:(:(

14 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

This has to be one of the most useful posts recently! (No offense to the others, but there's nothing more useful to an anxious applicant than actual timelines coming from a legit source!)

I know I'm waiting for Comp Lit, but I'm guessing my results will, as per us', fall a little after these indications. Thanks!

... But yeah we wanna know the embarrassing story.

8 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

hahahahahaha

well what would calm some nerves is for us to make sure know how the reliable direct source told you - and who that was!
otherwise, you're just making it worse hehehe

please?

:(:(:(

3 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

This has to be one of the most useful posts recently! (No offense to the others, but there's nothing more useful to an anxious applicant than actual timelines coming from a legit source!)

I know I'm waiting for Comp Lit, but I'm guessing my results will, as per us', fall a little after these indications. Thanks!

... But yeah we wanna know the embarrassing story.

OKAY it's not ~embarrassing~ exactly it's just the exact opposite of what I told myself I would not do because it's annoying etc. I emailed the DGS for each program and these were the results. (Except for NYU I called rather than emailing).

5 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

OKAY it's not ~embarrassing~ exactly it's just the exact opposite of what I told myself I would not do because it's annoying etc. I emailed the DGS for each program and these were the results. (Except for NYU I called rather than emailing).

oh come on! I took you for a stalker!

what I would do, in a hypothetical virtual world, is stalk these DGS social media activity and try to see where they are, and what it could mean...

just a thought that was never "actioned" ..in the past hour...

Edited by KTF87