2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, mereandtonks said:

Did anybody else get an email this morning from UC Irvine DGS? I woke up to an email basically saying "I look forward to discussing our program with you in the coming days but in the meantime please note the following email correction."

Am I taking an inch (or more accurately, a tiny little millimeter) and running 10,000 miles with that? Or am I justified in thinking this is going to lead to good news?

AHHHHH

I don't remember who made this point several weeks ago on this forum, but you'd really think that English faculty would know how to be more explicit with their writing....

If I were in your shoes I would be a flurry of excitement and confusion. 

Edited by FeetInTheSky

18 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

I don't remember who made this point several weeks ago on this forum, but you'd really think that English faculty would know how to be more explicit with their writing....

So true! When I got waitlisted for Minnesota their email started with a paragraph about how they had intense competition for a few number of spots and how difficult their decision was, you know textbook rejection template, and then their second paragraph says I was recommended to be put on the waitlist! My heart was sinking more and more by the word until I got to there haha, was a rollercoaster. 

On 2/11/2017 at 11:34 AM, Wyatt's Terps said:

I'm legitimately thinking that about Vanderbilt. Not. Even. Joking.

I was waitlisted at Vanderbilt a few years ago, and as I recall, I was going through that particular stress pretty late in February, after I'd heard from most of the other programs I'd applied to.

This weekend, I received nice, brief emails from professor/DGS at UGA and U of South Carolina saying that I had been accepted, welcoming me into the program and offering to answer any questions that I have, but without any kind of letter or more information about funding, visiting, etc. Is this something that might come later in a more formal communication or is it up to me to read what's on the website and ask them to go over this with me/answer specific questions I have? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

2 hours ago, mereandtonks said:

Did anybody else get an email this morning from UC Irvine DGS? I woke up to an email basically saying "I look forward to discussing our program with you in the coming days but in the meantime please note the following email correction."

Am I taking an inch (or more accurately, a tiny little millimeter) and running 10,000 miles with that? Or am I justified in thinking this is going to lead to good news?

AHHHHH

I received that email, and I was accepted to Irvine on Friday afternoon. :) I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you!

11 minutes ago, aob981 said:

This weekend, I received nice, brief emails from professor/DGS at UGA and U of South Carolina saying that I had been accepted, welcoming me into the program and offering to answer any questions that I have, but without any kind of letter or more information about funding, visiting, etc. Is this something that might come later in a more formal communication or is it up to me to read what's on the website and ask them to go over this with me/answer specific questions I have? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

First of all, congrats!

And second of all, yes, funding and other correspondence often comes after the initial decision. It was almost two weeks from the time of my acceptance before I got a phone call from the DGS at OSU about funding etc. Remember that once they accept you, they then want to court you. It's a strange and sudden shift of dynamic...

24 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

First of all, congrats!

And second of all, yes, funding and other correspondence often comes after the initial decision. It was almost two weeks from the time of my acceptance before I got a phone call from the DGS at OSU about funding etc. Remember that once they accept you, they then want to court you. It's a strange and sudden shift of dynamic...

Ok, great, thank you. The first acceptance I received was from UT and it had all of the information about funding and visiting laid out very clearly, which was great. But makes sense that different programs would do things differently. Appreciate your help!

33 minutes ago, Chburdick said:

I received that email, and I was accepted to Irvine on Friday afternoon. :) I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you!

Oh boy! Officially going into freak-out mode now! If you don't mind my asking, did they call you or email you with a decision? 

3 minutes ago, mereandtonks said:

Oh boy! Officially going into freak-out mode now! If you don't mind my asking, did they call you or email you with a decision? 

Received an email from the school of humanities with an acceptance letter attached that contained Oren's incorrect info. Oren followed up with a phone call on Saturday to give me some details. I missed his call and tried to email him back at the email listed in the letter, but it bounced. I found his correct email and resent my email and told him about the typo....30 minutes later he sent out the note about the typo. Whew! I don't know what's going on over there but I assume he wouldn't send you that note unless you were on some kind of list.

Congrats to y'all for all those--strangely announced--acceptances! 

Would anyone who's receive any answer from UCLA be able to tell me how that decision shows on their application? At this point I'm wondering if my status has been updated and I just can't see what's in front of me. Does it show on top of the page?

15 hours ago, NowMoreSerious said:

I haven't seen anybody claim a UCLA acceptance, but if you are one, feel free to message me with any questions about the program. I'll be 100% candid and answer any questions that might help you make the best decision possible. 

I'm in the second stage of the program, specializing in American Literature.  As a 4th year, I know the program inside and out. 

Thanks man! I'm still holding out hope, though my hope at this point is rather wan--still, it ain't over 'til you get that rejection letter :P 

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

Congrats to y'all for all those--strangely announced--acceptances! 

Would anyone who's receive any answer from UCLA be able to tell me how that decision shows on their application? At this point I'm wondering if my status has been updated and I just can't see what's in front of me. Does it show on top of the page?

So hi, I'm one of the people who posted an acceptance from UCLA (yay!). The acceptance came as a letter from the DGS. 

I've been a bit hesitant to post about it on this forum, though, because I'm still technically waiting for UCLA's Graduate Division to approve funding. I'm assuming the department wouldn't recommend me for admission if they weren't certain I'd be guaranteed funding by the university?...Right??...help! 

Anyway, to answer your question more directly: I've checked the decision portal and it still says, "to date, no decision has been made on your application." The decision portal is *NOT* the same portal through which you submitted your application. Confusing, I know. Here's the link to save you some time: 

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/ 

In my opinion, no news is better news than bad news. If anything, look out for an email from the DGS. That might be the surest sign of an acceptance (for UCLA, at least).  

But Yanaka, I know you've mostly applied to comparative lit programs. Is this true for UCLA as well? I applied to their English Ph.D. Program, so the process/timeline might be slightly different.

In any case, congrats to those who got into programs! To everyone else, I wish you the best of luck! Just remember to remain hopeful. Everyone here clearly has a passion for graduate studies and deserves to be in a program. 

Edited by PoeticsofPossibility

Thanks @PoeticsofPossibility! I missed that info, for some reason. No decision has been made! They say I should receive answers by March and April, but others have received their acceptances (for Comp Lit, yes) so I don't think I should hold any hope. I get the feeling, overall, that acceptances are sent out soon and the only answers received after that first wave are negative ones :( 

3 hours ago, aob981 said:

I can't speak to UGA, but from what I can tell, U of South Carolina is sending out postal acceptances this time around for their literature and comp/rhet programs. I had a conversation with someone at the graduate program who mentioned that information regarding funding and assistantships will be included in the postal acceptance letters, so that is something to be on the look out for! 

@Yanaka Oh okay. I checked the results page for comp lit and see what you mean. Strange that they're taking this long to send out rejections (assuming its rejections from here on out).

If it's any consolation, I was pretty disheartened by my Northwestern rejection for about 5 minutes until I realized what a weird fit it would have been for me. I honestly don't expect any other offers than the one I received from UCLA (except maybe Yale) strictly due to fit. (Yale is a perfect fit, but it's like shooting for the moon with amateur equipment (I have mediocre GRE scores and I'm a first-time applicant)). I'm certain you are completely capable of doing graduate work, and it might be possible that the programs you've received rejections from just aren't a great fit. On top of which, you're an international student! From what I understand, your competition is even steeper than current U.S. citizens.

I really, really hope you are admitted into a program this year. Don't give up hope!

(Sidenote: I'm a bit obsessed with parentheticals. My apologies.)

I'm a US citizen! I think I should put that in my signature, to help people with the confusion of my location :lol: 

That's why I thought I had a better shot at the process, because I'm an international without the language barrier (or almost, I'm sure graduate work in the US will need some getting used to at the beginning of my studies) and the administrative constraints of the VISA and all B) bahahahaha

Now I know what I should put in my future SoP's: "cheap int'l student with promising assets in French lit & culture looking for spot in anything you want as long as it's funded and has books." 

I'm so sorry I assumed otherwise! 

You seem to be a very unique candidate. It might just be fit? Or you might need to revise your writing sample? Or this process is just too esoteric and arbitrary to ever really know what the hell is happening? *nervous laughter* :( 

2 minutes ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

I'm so sorry I assumed otherwise! 

You seem to be a very unique candidate. It might just be fit? Or you might need to revise your writing sample? Or this process is just too esoteric and arbitrary to ever really know what the hell is happening? *nervous laughter* :( 

Oh gosh, don't be sorry!

Yes I think it's fit. And @Wyatt's Terps has helped me figure out what could have been problematic in my SoP's! 

I'm also worried about my WS, now. I think it might not be research-oriented enough. It's basically a 13-page long essay, it's not a thesis or whatever would be more appropriate. I just haven't had the opportunity to do any research-like work, it's not what we do in my current program...

@Yanaka It's so great that you're getting help! I've been very lucky in that I had the opportunity to write a senior thesis and my letter writers read through several drafts of my SoP. Feedback is key. 

Still: I wouldn't be discouraged yet, if I were you. You still have several schools to hear back from. :) 

Out of upvotes again. Thanks @PoeticsofPossibility! I'm trying to remain calm and hopeful, because I have plenty of other options that, even if they're still very hypothetical, aren't so bad. Not as good as grad school, but I'll be fine.

@tvethiopia I feel like asking for funding is too much to ask for just having my nose in books, but one's allowed to dream a little :wub: ahahaha

5 hours ago, aob981 said:

Please consider that each year is probably different, but I received funding information with my letters of acceptance for USC, for both my first cycle and this cycle. THAT being said, I suspect some of my colleagues did not? There was a girl that didn't get funding - that is, a TA-ship- until right before classes started. I assume this is because of some last-minute decisions people made.

All that to say, for USC at least, it's possible they are either waiting to extend until they have some confirmations or rejections of funding. I don't know if this will persuade you one way or another, simply my vague readings on the situation. (Contrary to what some might have inadvertently implied, USC is well worth the program! Very strong, collegial environment, and some of the very best professors.) But I understand that funding is a scary thing, and footing an MA or PhD is near impossible, and not smart, for many of us! Anyway, I just wanted to throw in what little I know of this scenario!