2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, Caien said:

Hear hear, it's been a week and a half since I've had a peek from any program and I'm getting all twitchy and nervous :wacko:

You and me both! The Chicago rejection came through, though I already knew weeks ago that was coming...I'm trying to patiently wait for CUNY and U of Oregon, but argh!! This wait is killing me!

1 hour ago, Caien said:

Hear hear, it's been a week and a half since I've had a peek from any program and I'm getting all twitchy and nervous :wacko:

Honestly I haven't heard from anywhere and it's freaking me out more than a little.

I had emailed UConn last week about some supporting document stuff, their portal said stuff hadn't been received that definitely had been, and they emailed me back today. The email ended with "Please check the Hobson’s site for the committee’s decision with the next few weeks." 

Like I know people have received acceptances and you're telling me I'll hear within the next few weeks? Like if you're rejecting me just let me know, making me wait weeks is massively not cool.

Edited by phoebusrising

3 minutes ago, phoebusrising said:

Honestly I haven't heard from anywhere and it's freaking me out more than a little.

I had emailed UConn last week about some supporting document stuff, their portal said stuff hadn't been received that definitely had been, and they emailed me back today. The email ended with "Please check the Hobson’s site for the committee’s decision with the next few weeks." 

Like I know people have received acceptances and you're telling me I'll hear within the next few weeks? Like if you're rejecting me that is massively not cool.

You've likely been waitlisted while they wait for other applicants to accept/decline offers. It's better than being rejected outright but it's impossible to know how high up on the waitlist you are. You could be the next one in and have a high chance for admission, or you could be 10th in line and need a bunch of people to choose other programs.

There's still hope.

8 minutes ago, positivitize said:

You've likely been waitlisted while they wait for other applicants to accept/decline offers. It's better than being rejected outright but it's impossible to know how high up on the waitlist you are. You could be the next one in and have a high chance for admission, or you could be 10th in line and need a bunch of people to choose other programs.

There's still hope.

No offense, but I don't know where you're getting that from. I wouldn't infer a waitlist situation from what @phoebusrising posted. Waitlisted candidates are almost always notified of being waitlisted. There are indeed some cases of "invisible" waitlists, but trying to infer too much in this process is an easy way to give yourself fits.

Hope is great -- essential, even -- but it has to have a foundation.

Edited by Wyatt's Terps

Anyone who got that email from UMASS: I just called DGS. The long and short is that the email we all received went out before it should have. It was a very funny, non-specific, avoidant conversation, like we were making a transaction in stolen goods.

"I got this email from the Writing Program, but I haven't heard anything from the department itself," I said.

"Ahhhhhh...well you see," said she, speaking out of the side of her mouth/through her teeth. "I'm not telling you you're accepted...I'm also not telling you you're not accepted."

"Should we pretend this conversation never happened?" I whispered.

"The news is............imminent."

"Ahhh, okay...."

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Anyone who got that email from UMASS: I just called DGS. The long and short is that the email we all received went out before it should have. It was a very funny, non-specific, avoidant conversation, like we were making a transaction in stolen goods.

"I got this email from the Writing Program, but I haven't heard anything from the department itself," I said.

"Ahhhhhh...well you see," said she, speaking out of the side of her mouth/through her teeth. "I'm not telling you you're accepted...I'm also not telling you you're not accepted."

"Ahhh, okay...."

So which one is it??? hahahaha

1 hour ago, imogenshakes said:

btw, does anyone who posted rejections from Iowa have more info? I haven't heard anything but also thought it was weird that two rejections and nothing else were posted really early in February...

I can claim one of those Iowa rejections (my fifth one, alas! :() -- though I don't know that I have any helpful, additional info. I got a nice e-mail from the AdComm chair saying I hadn't been admitted, and he noted that the size of the incoming cohort had been reduced "quite markedly this year" due to job market considerations. Whether that means a few acceptances have gone out and they're just not on GC, or whether acceptances are forthcoming, I'm not sure.

6 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I believe the implication was, "You'll hear something this week." 

Yes I got that part! But are you in or not, that's what we wanna knoooooow! :P 

Oh boy, @Caien how is it on the other side? 

Edited by Yanaka

2 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Yes I got that part! But are you in or not, that's what we wanna knoooooow! :P 

I am pretty sure that everyone who received that email (there appears to be 5 of us) has been accepted. What DGS was trying to tell me is that there's a procedure to this, I guess, so she wasn't at liberty to tell me outright that I had been accepted, but she sounded very positive on the phone and was laughing a lot with me. I have a feeling that if it had been sent in error, she likely wouldn't have responded with such levity.

The email explicitly congratulates me on being admitted to the graduate program, so if it does turn out to be an error, my plan is to drive up to Amherst and stand outside the English department with a giant stereo over my head playing "In Your Eyes," à la John Cusack in Say Anything

57 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

No offense, but I don't know where you're getting that from. I wouldn't infer a waitlist situation from what @phoebusrising posted. Waitlisted candidates are almost always notified of being waitlisted. There are indeed some cases of "invisible" waitlists, but trying to infer too much in this process is an easy way to give yourself fits.

Hope is great -- essential, even -- but it has to have a foundation.

Yeah I don't think this is a waitlist situation so much as a they don't care about notifying rejections in a timely manner situation. Like I'm obviously gonna have that little bit of hope right up to the end (which sort of makes it worse?) but that's not really what I think is happening here.

36 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

Wait listed at UT Knoxville last week and this morning I found my first acceptance from UMass!! Anyone else hear from them? 

Are you the most recent UMASS acceptance? If so, did you get an actual acceptance letter? Please give us details because the rest of us all got emails about assistantships, but not formal offers/acceptance notification.

2 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

"Ahhh, okay...."

thank you for following up on this! i figured since they are trying to set up TA interviews to start next week, they may have jumped the gun a little in their eagerness to move things along. 

55 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Are you the most recent UMASS acceptance? If so, did you get an actual acceptance letter? Please give us details because the rest of us all got emails about assistantships, but not formal offers/acceptance notification.

Yeah I'm the most recent one. And yeah I got the same thing as everyone else. An email saying congrats on your acceptance but fill out the TA application to hear about funding. Not an official acceptance I guess just an email from Dr. Nadkarni: "I'm writing to congratulate you on your acceptance into the Mass English Department graduate Program. The admissions committee was very impressed etc etc etc." 

Edited by Lesleo

6 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

Yeah I'm the most recent one. And yeah I got the same thing as everyone else. An email saying congrats on your acceptance but fill out the TA application to hear about funding. Not an official acceptance just an email from Dr. Nadkarni: "I'm writing to congratulate you on your acceptance into the Mass English Department graduate Program. The admissions committee was very impressed etc etc etc." 

that actually sounds like a more legit acceptance than what we got! our email was just about scheduling a TA interview, no mention of admissions committee or anything like that.

11 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

that actually sounds like a more legit acceptance than what we got! our email was just about scheduling a TA interview, no mention of admissions committee or anything like that.

Really? What did y'alls say? Just stuff about TA interviews?

23 minutes ago, Lesleo said:

Really? What did y'alls say? Just stuff about TA interviews?

yup!

"Greetings!

First, I was recently informed you were admitted into your graduate program.  Congratulations! 

Second, I am starting the process of scheduling interviews for Teaching Associateship positions in the UMass Amherst Writing Program, which is the reason for this email today."

then just a bunch of stuff about days/times for interviews. i'm guessing the difference is because you're going for lit and the rest of us are probably comp/rhet?

EDIT: it actually looks like one other person said they were doing lit and also got the interview email so who even knows.

Edited by tvethiopia

1 hour ago, tvethiopia said:

UMass is tough to figure out. I'm not sure if they fully fund everyone.

" Admission to the UMass English graduate program is highly competitive. In recent years we have usually had about 200 applicants for 12-15 available spots per year. "
" The application process for TOships is competitive! Each year, in consultation with the relevant Graduate Program Directors, we hire 25-35 new TOs, but we typically receive three to four times that number of applications--mostly from prospective graduate students in English but also from currrent graduate students in English and other departments at UMass Amherst. "

" Applicants who do not receive a TOship from the Writing Program but decide to come study at the University anyway are welcome to apply again the following year, though there is no guarantee that a TOship will be offered then. "

I wish they'd include more specifics to give everyone a better understanding of the chances of funding. As it currently stands, it's unclear if anyone gets a guaranteed 5 year TOship.

13 minutes ago, Warelin said:

UMass is tough to figure out. I'm not sure if they fully fund everyone.

" Admission to the UMass English graduate program is highly competitive. In recent years we have usually had about 200 applicants for 12-15 available spots per year. "
" The application process for TOships is competitive! Each year, in consultation with the relevant Graduate Program Directors, we hire 25-35 new TOs, but we typically receive three to four times that number of applications--mostly from prospective graduate students in English but also from currrent graduate students in English and other departments at UMass Amherst. "

" Applicants who do not receive a TOship from the Writing Program but decide to come study at the University anyway are welcome to apply again the following year, though there is no guarantee that a TOship will be offered then. "

I wish they'd include more specifics to give everyone a better understanding of the chances of funding. As it currently stands, it's unclear if anyone gets a guaranteed 5 year TOship.

hm, interesting. this is what the english dept website says about assistantships:

"If you have applied for funding, once you are admitted to an English graduate program, you will be interviewed by the Writing Program. The selection process is competitive, but nearly everyone in our MA/PhD program receives a teaching assistantship. Students who have been hired by the Writing Program and who are in good standing in English and the Writing Program are reappointed annually. Students can count on five years of support (if they are admitted into the PhD program) or seven years of support (if they are admitted into the MA/PhD program)."

4 hours ago, erosanddust said:

I can claim one of those Iowa rejections (my fifth one, alas! :() -- though I don't know that I have any helpful, additional info. I got a nice e-mail from the AdComm chair saying I hadn't been admitted, and he noted that the size of the incoming cohort had been reduced "quite markedly this year" due to job market considerations. Whether that means a few acceptances have gone out and they're just not on GC, or whether acceptances are forthcoming, I'm not sure.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info! I'll try not to overthink it then, since I haven't heard anything. 

Another day down, guys. Hang in there! And congrats to those who heard good news today (even if it came in a weird, unexpected and premature email from NOT a DGS! haha)!