2017 Acceptances

hi hello, been lurking for months and am now finally getting the courage to engage/post !
i noticed a lot of brown acceptances go out yesterday (congrats to all those reading who were accepted!!! so exciting!) i applied, and it's one of my top picks.. and i'm just wondering if i should be holding out hope if i still haven't heard? like, is there a possibility acceptance is going out in waves? or should i assume an implied rejection? my status on applyweb still just says "submitted" despite how many times i obsessively refresh.... :wacko:

Notre Dame already got back to me before I even got home from the visit! I'm in, I was accepted! I am so unbelievably excited. The visit was incredible, they're a perfect fit for my interests and the department seemed wonderful. I'll definitely be accepting—I've heard back from everyone now already so makes my choice easy! Everyone at the weekend was amazing too, so it's great to know I'll be joining an awesome cohort! So excited I can't even believe it, it does't feel real! :)  

8 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Notre Dame already got back to me before I even got home from the visit! I'm in, I was accepted! I am so unbelievably excited. The visit was incredible, they're a perfect fit for my interests and the department seemed wonderful. I'll definitely be accepting—I've heard back from everyone now already so makes my choice easy! Everyone at the weekend was amazing too, so it's great to know I'll be joining an awesome cohort! So excited I can't even believe it, it does't feel real! :)  

Fabulous news. Congratulations!!

14 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congrats!

14 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congratulations! That's got to be awesome to have the peace of mind to be totally done with everything. 

even though I totally wanted to be your friend at UNL

3 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

Congratulations! That's got to be awesome to have the peace of mind to be totally done with everything.  

"even though I totally wanted to be your friend at UNL" .....Same!
Congratulations! it sounds like a perfect match!

22 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

I'm in too! Congratulations!!!

7 minutes ago, loganondorf said:

I'm in too! Congratulations!!!

Yes, amazing, congrats! You better accept now so we can be classmates! Good thing I didn't lose my phone on the bus, cause I got that email right after haha. 

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited. You Nebraska folks will just have to visit South Bend for conferences and stuff! :) 

16 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Yes, amazing, congrats! You better accept now so we can be classmates! Good thing I didn't lose my phone on the bus, cause I got that email right after haha. 

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited. You Nebraska folks will just have to visit South Bend for conferences and stuff! :) 

Can't even imagine how light and giddy you must feel. It's awesome!!! 

55 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

I second this! Congratulations, but I was totally looking forward to seeing you at UNL. :)

I love seeing all this good news!

1 hour ago, acidtooth said:

hi hello, been lurking for months and am now finally getting the courage to engage/post !
i noticed a lot of brown acceptances go out yesterday (congrats to all those reading who were accepted!!! so exciting!) i applied, and it's one of my top picks.. and i'm just wondering if i should be holding out hope if i still haven't heard? like, is there a possibility acceptance is going out in waves? or should i assume an implied rejection? my status on applyweb still just says "submitted" despite how many times i obsessively refresh.... :wacko:

I'm in the same boat as you--I can't speak for certain, but I know that sometimes acceptances go out in waves or by subset rather than all at once. It ain't over til you get that rejection letter... Here's to keeping our fingers crossed!

finally got my UCLA rejection

i don't even know if it was a great fit... still disheartening though.

it's saturdat pm here so i get to relax tomorrow and then it's back to neurosis on monday... hopefully more news for all of us next week!!

On 2/10/2017 at 1:40 PM, LouisePlease said:

Got mine too and feel the same!

In other news, I was told my "in review" status for Austin means my application IS still under consideration and that they're waiting for the first round offer folks to make their decisions. But they could not confirm that it was a waitlist... hmmmm.... April 15th is feeling lightyears away.

Strange that they won't confirm waitlisted. Did you call or email to ask? This happened to a friend last year too, & he didn't hear back until the end of April! Insanity.

29 minutes ago, Zelda said:

Strange that they won't confirm waitlisted. Did you call or email to ask? This happened to a friend last year too, & he didn't hear back until the end of April! Insanity.

I called the English graduate department and just spoke with the person who answered. They weren't on the admissions committee so they weren't comfortable speaking in absolutes which I understand. They offered to take my information and ask someone who would know for sure but I'm paranoid and didn't want to be known as being annoying so I said no thank you. If I don't hear in a few weeks I might call back and own up to my identity :/ Mostly I just wanted to know if all current rejections and admission offers had gone out (they have) or if I should consider my lack of response a rejection. From scouring the forum I knew that austin had a history of leaving people hanging and that some of those people were ultimately rejected and some were waitlisted. 

It feels kind of like a waitlist to be on a waitlist? As if this process needed more unknown variables. 

This happened to your friend with Austin as well? 

4 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I called the English graduate department and just spoke with the person who answered. They weren't on the admissions committee so they weren't comfortable speaking in absolutes which I understand. They offered to take my information and ask someone who would know for sure but I'm paranoid and didn't want to be known as being annoying so I said no thank you. If I don't hear in a few weeks I might call back and own up to my identity :/ Mostly I just wanted to know if all current rejections and admission offers had gone out (they have) or if I should consider my lack of response a rejection. From scouring the forum I knew that austin had a history of leaving people hanging and that some of those people were ultimately rejected and some were waitlisted. 

It feels kind of like a waitlist to be on a waitlist? As if this process needed more unknown variables. 

This happened to your friend with Austin as well? 

Similar situation except he did receive an official waitlisted e-mail. But maybe they are doing things differently this year! I understand about not wanting to give out your info just in case. My schools haven't even sent out decisions yet, but I still can't stop myself from refreshingly over & over again! AGH!

13 minutes ago, Zelda said:

Similar situation except he did receive an official waitlisted e-mail. But maybe they are doing things differently this year! I understand about not wanting to give out your info just in case. My schools haven't even sent out decisions yet, but I still can't stop myself from refreshingly over & over again! AGH!

I'm not super optimistic.. I still think I would have gotten a waitlist email. Going back a few years in the results forum only showed me that their admission decisions were different every year. I'm just trying to compensate for my impotence with research. Refresh on, my friend! Refresh on. 

20 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I'm not super optimistic.. I still think I would have gotten a waitlist email. Going back a few years in the results forum only showed me that their admission decisions were different every year. I'm just trying to compensate for my impotence with research. Refresh on, my friend! Refresh on. 

Thank you for the encouragement on my madness! I hope you hear back soon from them & the others!

Edited by Zelda

I haven't seen anybody claim a UCLA acceptance, but if you are one, feel free to message me with any questions about the program. I'll be 100% candid and answer any questions that might help you make the best decision possible. 

I'm in the second stage of the program, specializing in American Literature.  As a 4th year, I know the program inside and out. 

8 hours ago, Mippipopolous said:

Haha, thank you! It's definitely one of my top choices at this point. Thank goodness about the phone -- leaving my phone would've been such a stressful/horrifying experience. I'm way too connected to it for that, haha.

On 2/10/2017 at 4:15 AM, imogenshakes said:

Yay! Congratulations!! I'm in there, too, as of yesterday. The weird archaic mail acceptance threw me for a loop. My mentor also found it odd, but said it didn't surprise him, coming from U of SC...whatever that means, haha

I also just got a strange evening email from UC Riverside! Another of my top choices. I was offered a Eugene Cota Robles Award on top of a TA stipend, so that's pretty fantastic! I'm stoked. My brain hurts trying to think of which option is going to be best at this point, though. I know it's such a privileged problem to have, but man.

holy cow!!!

that's fantastic! alf mabrook!!! (a thousand congratulations!!!!)

<3 <3

On 2/10/2017 at 8:53 PM, JessicaLange said:

I finally got my rejection from UChicago! I feel so much better having been officially notified. I can't take this 'implied rejection' nonsense.

saying the same thing about Hopkins hahaha

is anybody stalking the DGS of their dream school on social media to see where they are and try to analyze their activity to see if they still could be reviewing apps?

* shame *

Did anybody else get an email this morning from UC Irvine DGS? I woke up to an email basically saying "I look forward to discussing our program with you in the coming days but in the meantime please note the following email correction."

Am I taking an inch (or more accurately, a tiny little millimeter) and running 10,000 miles with that? Or am I justified in thinking this is going to lead to good news?

AHHHHH

4 minutes ago, mereandtonks said:

Did anybody else get an email this morning from UC Irvine DGS? I woke up to an email basically saying "I look forward to discussing our program with you in the coming days but in the meantime please note the following email correction."

Am I taking an inch (or more accurately, a tiny little millimeter) and running 10,000 miles with that? Or am I justified in thinking this is going to lead to good news?

AHHHHH

I would believe that too. aaaaahh!!