2017 Acceptances

5 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

To everyone who applied to Davis: I've pretty much given up hope at this point, and that's okay, but I've been wondering for a while now...am I looking at the right screen?

When I go to check my status, all I have is an Application Status Checklist that lists what materials I sent it, etc. Where am I supposed to be seeing a status? Is it at the top? Or do they not really give you a status except in email? I'm confused, and tired and neurotic.

Thanks in advance.

Never mind, I found it. Still says submitted. I hope I'm not one of the lucky chosen ones who doesn't hear anything until July! I'd like to at least have closure.

Hi,there. I checked my portal too today, no information about the application status, just the materials checklist. :) I don't know if they have sent out all the acceptances. But there are 4-5 acceptances posted on the page.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:45 PM, loganondorf said:

Yay, I'm into Pittsburgh too! Congratulations to you both!! So excited to go visit. Are either of you medievalists?

Congrats!

My focus is on contemporary Poetics and Post-Colonialism (specifically Africana).

Edited by ProfessionalNerd

On 2/4/2017 at 2:45 PM, loganondorf said:

Yay, I'm into Pittsburgh too! Congratulations to you both!! So excited to go visit. Are either of you medievalists?

My focus is contemporary, with an emphasis on queer, critical race, and ecocritical theory. 

Glad to have 3 Pitt acceptances on the board :)

Edited by KikiDelivery

8 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

My focus is contemporary, with an emphasis on queer, critical race, and ecocritical theory. 

awesome stuff!!!

maybe we'll bump into each other if you guys take the Pitt offer and I the CMU offer

going there for a visit early March. they're really close to each other right?

Keep the faith guys!

4 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

awesome stuff!!!

maybe we'll bump into each other if you guys take the Pitt offer and I the CMU offer

Keep the faith guys!

Oh yes, they are both almost right next to each other from what I've heard! It would be exciting to meet people from CMU. I am sure there are lots of collaborations / opportunities between the two schools.

7 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Never mind, I found it. Still says submitted. I hope I'm not one of the lucky chosen ones who doesn't hear anything until July! I'd like to at least have closure.

I don't if this is helpful or if it makes things worse, but I checked my portal this morning and mine just says "submitted" too. I have only official word from a phone call and an email from the DGS - no other letters, emails, anything. I hope you hear soon! 

And man, congrats, @claritus! I'm sorry they put you through that, though, geez. I can imagine getting an email so late would be quite a shock. 

1 hour ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

Congrats!

My focus is on contemporary Poetics and Post-Colonialism (specifically Africana).

1 hour ago, KikiDelivery said:

1 hour ago, KTF87 said:

awesome stuff!!!

Keep the faith guys!

Hooray for Pittsburgh (the city)! One of the reasons I was really attracted to the program was the large overlap and collaborative opportunities with CMU. 

1 hour ago, imogenshakes said:

I don't if this is helpful or if it makes things worse, but I checked my portal this morning and mine just says "submitted" too. I have only official word from a phone call and an email from the DGS - no other letters, emails, anything. I hope you hear soon! 

And man, congrats, @claritus! I'm sorry they put you through that, though, geez. I can imagine getting an email so late would be quite a shock. 

Thank you! It was definitely strange. Happiest I've ever been to have a bad sleep though... 

Not sure if you're planning on attending Davis, but if I end up at Berkeley maybe we'll run into one another! 

15 minutes ago, claritus said:

Thank you! It was definitely strange. Happiest I've ever been to have a bad sleep though... 

Not sure if you're planning on attending Davis, but if I end up at Berkeley maybe we'll run into one another! 

It is certainly at the top of my list at the moment, so that would be fantastic! That whole UC partnership thing is totally dreamy! haha

It's impossible to tell everybody individually, but I wanted to say congratulations to all of the amazing top-tier acceptances everybody's received over the last week or two! It's so cool to hear all of your great stories, and it's a bit humbling to know that I'm surrounded by the next wave of literary scholars and academics! So happy for everybody; I'm still waiting on most of my schools, so I've been living vicariously through you all.

Here's hoping the next month is as kind as the last--good luck!

2 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not looking in the wrong place. It's no big thing if it's a no. They can't take everyone:)

5 hours ago, englishing said:

so awesome!!!

But also, wtf is this timing? My hope was just starting to get comfy in its grave. 

Right? Damnation.

On a happier note, I just talked to the DGS at IU. I'm going to go fishing in other threads to see if I can get the low-down on the culture of the program, but five years of guaranteed funding is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure I sounded like a complete bumbling fool on the phone, though...I used the word "excited" about 5 times in as many sentences...

...do they ever rescind your offer because you sound like a dumbass on the phone?

iWKad22r.jpg

Edited by ratanegra19

6 minutes ago, ratanegra19 said:

Right? Damnation.

On a happier note, I just talked to the DGS at IU. I'm going to go fishing in other threads to see if I can get the low-down on the culture of the program, but five years of guaranteed funding is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure I sounded like a complete bumbling fool on the phone, though...I used the word "excited" about 5 times in as many sentences...

...do they ever rescind your offer because you sound like a dumbass on the phone?

iWKad22r.jpg

hahahaha this is like one of my greatest (and most irrational, I'm sure) fears. When I got my call from Davis, I barely said two words, and my POI was like "Well, I'll let you go and digest the news, here's my contact info if you need anything."

I emailed her like an hour later and thanked her profusely and apologized for being so awkward. She was fantastic about it in her reply. I think she was worried my inability to respond meant I wasn't interested. I was like...NOOOOOOO

Introverts + phones = the worst combination

28 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

hahahaha this is like one of my greatest (and most irrational, I'm sure) fears. When I got my call from Davis, I barely said two words, and my POI was like "Well, I'll let you go and digest the news, here's my contact info if you need anything."

I emailed her like an hour later and thanked her profusely and apologized for being so awkward. She was fantastic about it in her reply. I think she was worried my inability to respond meant I wasn't interested. I was like...NOOOOOOO

Introverts + phones = the worst combination

hahaha, hear hear! The DGS was super nice, though--I'm sure she talks to a lot of tongue-tied recruits :) 

Edited by ratanegra19

2 hours ago, ratanegra19 said:

Right? Damnation.

iWKad22r.jpg

Wait that definitely happened to me this morning too haha...the DGS from Indiana called and it was an Oakland area code so the small part of me that is still clinging onto hope for good news from Berkeley was like "What is happening??" and then she said she was from Indiana and I kind of deflated a little and then I tried to recover and I was like "Hi thank you so much for calling!" And then I had to awkwardly let her know I had class in ten minutes and couldn't really talk. So yep, basically just going to let all calls in the next month go to voicemail. :P Introverts + out of the blue phone calls = not a good combo indeed. 

Edited by RydraWong

Implied rejection, shmimplied smejection! 

I got admitted to the MA program at University of Nebraska-Lincoln! I'm completely beside myself with excitement. After so many acceptances went out I was sure that I was toast. I applied for the PhD program, but I think the MA will be a great way for me to get my feet wet in rhet/comp. I'm number one on the waitlist for funding, they said, so if they're able to offer me a position, I'll be off to graduate school! 

Listening to this on repeat all day:

So I caved and called UCLA. I was told admissions decisions have not been sent out yet but will be starting tomorrow and through the end of next week! In case anyone's in the same boat as me.

So IDK if the acceptance posted was just an early notification or someone mistyped...

1 hour ago, JeremyWrites said:

I got admitted to the MA program at University of Nebraska-Lincoln! I'm completely beside myself with excitement. After so many acceptances went out I was sure that I was toast. I applied for the PhD program, but I think the MA will be a great way for me to get my feet wet in rhet/comp. I'm number one on the waitlist for funding, they said, so if they're able to offer me a position, I'll be off to graduate school! 

Out of upvotes, but so happy for you! Congrats!

35 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

So I caved and called UCLA. I was told admissions decisions have not been sent out yet but will be starting tomorrow and through the end of next week! In case anyone's in the same boat as me.

So IDK if the acceptance posted was just an early notification or someone mistyped...

Bless your soul!!! That listing from yesterday had me DYING!!! Now at least I will have a designated time frame in which to be paranoid :D 

1 hour ago, JeremyWrites said:

Congrats!!! That's super exciting, Nebraska has a great program and seems like it'd be a great place to study for a couple of years. Heads up, I'm probably going to be declining a funded MA offer (lit not rhet/comp though) from Nebraska in the next week or so, so I hope that helps you out!! I have no idea if rhet/comp and lit funding is like the same but fingers crossed for you. 

17 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Congrats!!! That's super exciting, Nebraska has a great program and seems like it'd be a great place to study for a couple of years. Heads up, I'm probably going to be declining a funded MA offer (lit not rhet/comp though) from Nebraska in the next week or so, so I hope that helps you out!! I have no idea if rhet/comp and lit funding is like the same but fingers crossed for you. 

You are my favorite.