2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, jungThug said:

Really praying that berkeley's sending out some more acceptances. Its my top choice program, I haven't heard a lick from them and my online portal has remained unchanged.

I'll drink to that! Drinking coffee though, because I am on the West Coast and it's 10:30 am... :( 

Crossing my fingers and trying not to obsessively check my mail every two seconds...

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

I'll drink to that! Drinking coffee though, because I am on the West Coast and it's 10:30 am... :( 

Crossing my fingers and trying not to obsessively check my mail every two seconds...

Yep! This. 

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

If I lived in Bellingham, every waking second would be spent in Henderson Books! One of my favorite places on earth, and that's not hyperbole...

45 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

If I lived in Bellingham, every waking second would be spent in Henderson Books! One of my favorite places on earth, and that's not hyperbole...

That's hilarious--same here! Henderson and Powell's (in Portland) are my favorite bookstores. I miss the PNW. :(

Edit: Elliott Bay and Mercer Street in Seattle are nice too! 

Edited by Kilos

55 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

18 minutes ago, Kilos said:

That's hilarious--same here! Henderson and Powell's (in Portland) are my favorite bookstores. I miss the PNW. :(

Edit: Elliott Bay and Mercer Street in Seattle are nice too! 

Now you all are making me feel homesick.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:44 AM, crugs said:

Congrats to those who have been accepted to King's in London-I did my MA there and it was absolutely the most wonderful experience of my life!!! So happy to see so many people getting good news!

@Crugs thanks. I have been accepted . No word on funding yet

12 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

The UConn acceptance that went up on the board an hour or so ago is KILLING ME. Can anyone claim it/ provide detail? Was it from DGS or POI? Personal letter or a form email? 

I am dying. I die.

Hey, not sure if this is relevant to you since it looks like you're applying to PhD programs but I applied to the MA program at UConn and got an email today (roughly an hour ago too) letting me know of my acceptance. The email was sent from the graduate secretary's email and contained an attached letter from the DGS with specific funding information, etc.

2 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Hey, not sure if this is relevant to you since it looks like you're applying to PhD programs but I applied to the MA program at UConn and got an email today (roughly an hour ago too) letting me know of my acceptance. The email was sent from the graduate secretary's email and contained an attached letter from the DGS with specific funding information, etc.

Thanks for the info!

This thread is so full of good feelings - it makes me happy to read it while I wait. Congratulations to everyone - and best wishes to everyone as well.

It's like undergrad I think, where most people get some or many rejections, but do end up at good places where they can thrive - and clearly everyone here is very capable of thriving if we're applying to PhD programs.

Keep your heads up!

Two for three on acceptances so far with offers from McGill and Carleton in Canada! Still waiting on the University of Alberta, but no one seems to have gotten anything yet according to the results search. Anyone get any word from them?

3 hours ago, therealyoko said:

Does anyone out there have an update from Vanderbilt? I know that one person was wait listed, but I'm afraid that I'll jinx myself if I reach out to the school.

No info for me yet.

But the real reason I'm posting is to say this again: don't reach out to a program just to check on your application status. Seriously. Just don't do it. They won't forget about you, and it's rare for any program to let you hang in uncertainty for too long (unless it's Penn State from two and three years ago), and if they DO it's usually an implied rejection. The last thing DGS's and other admissions folks want right now are more emails from panicky applicants.

This isn't a knock on you personally, @therealyoko -- more of a PSA / gentle reminder to all. :)

1 hour ago, victoriaaa said:

Two for three on acceptances so far with offers from McGill and Carleton in Canada! Still waiting on the University of Alberta, but no one seems to have gotten anything yet according to the results search. Anyone get any word from them?

Congrats on the McGill acceptance (as well as the Carleton one). I'm still waiting to hear from McGill and Alberta, so no word on Alberta yet.

Also, congrats @Sunsy on the Berkeley acceptance! Way to go! I'm hoping they'll still be sending out some acceptances tomorrow so that I get one too haha.

Edited by ThePomoHipster

21 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Congrats on the McGill acceptance (as well as the Carleton one). I'm still waiting to hear from McGill and Alberta, so no word on Alberta yet.

Also, congrats @Sunsy on the Berkeley acceptance! Way to go! I'm hoping they'll still be sending out some acceptances tomorrow so that I get one too haha.

Thank you! It seems like McGill acceptances are going out pretty steadily, so I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Alberta is anyone's guess, apparently. Also, I see that you applied to UBC, which was where I did my undergrad. It's a gorgeous school, I highly recommend it. I'd go back if they had the field of study I wanted, but they don't, so.

48 minutes ago, victoriaaa said:

Thank you! It seems like McGill acceptances are going out pretty steadily, so I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Alberta is anyone's guess, apparently. Also, I see that you applied to UBC, which was where I did my undergrad. It's a gorgeous school, I highly recommend it. I'd go back if they had the field of study I wanted, but they don't, so.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to be patient with McGill and Alberta. I did contact the graduate program administrator from Alberta at the end of January because my application was showing up as incomplete even though it actually was complete (it turned out to be fine - just a technical error) and she told me that they should have the decision made within a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that means that we'll hear back pretty soon from Alberta (maybe next week?). My friend who goes there now heard back around mid-February last year so that's what'll probably happen this year. And thanks for letting me know about UBC. I've already heard great things from many people who have really gotten me excited about the prospect of going there. Fingers crossed! :)

45 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Yeah, I'm just going to have to be patient with McGill and Alberta. I did contact the graduate program administrator from Alberta at the end of January because my application was showing up as incomplete even though it actually was complete (it turned out to be fine - just a technical error) and she told me that they should have the decision made within a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that means that we'll hear back pretty soon from Alberta (maybe next week?). My friend who goes there now heard back around mid-February last year so that's what'll probably happen this year. And thanks for letting me know about UBC. I've already heard great things from many people who have really gotten me excited about the prospect of going there. Fingers crossed! :)

It seems like Alberta acceptances for my program went out earlier in past years, like end of January, but nothing has been posted this year at all, so I assume nothing has gone out yet for whatever reason. That's weird about the technical glitch, good thing you got it sorted out! Which school are you leaning towards?

Yeah, I loved UBC, it was an amazing school. Gorgeous surrounding nature (UBC-V is on a penninsula in the ocean, so you've got ocean views on three sides with the mountains behind Vancouver also clearly visible), great weather if you don't mind rainy winters, Vancouver's a fantastic city with lots of stuff to do and friendly people, the professors were excellent for the most part, the academic faculties were well equipped, lots of academic and non-academic clubs to join, etc., I could go on forever. Montreal or Ottawa are going to be rough cities to reacclimatize myself to Canada in.

8 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Omg, totally on board with that--I go in all the time for "ten minutes" and come out ten hours later...

(that IS hyperbole, but not as much as you'd think :/ )

10 minutes ago, thepriorwalter said:

I am an F15 applicant, and I heard about my acceptance from Alberta on February 4th, so I imagine that their decisions are coming any day now! 

That's why I'm sitting here kind of confused. All the acceptances to my program in past years were somewhere around January 25, while McGill's, which I've already heard from, weren't previously until March or April. I think I should probably just stop compulsively checking the results page.