2017 Acceptances

43 minutes ago, duran0 said:

I'm at Berkeley now, and a professor of mine who was on the admissions committee told me that all acceptances have been sent out. Sorry.. :(

Aw, shucks. Oh well, it was a long shot anyway...here's crossing my fingers for Brown and Stanford!

8 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I'd put the odds at about 95% that it's a rejection, sorry to say. I know for a fact that acceptances and waitlists have gone out, which typically means one thing...

That was my initial response, but browsing the history for both schools on the results page shows that they've sent acceptances and wait-list notifications throughout February as recently as last year. Is this possibly the "rolling admissions" process, or perhaps an invisible waitlist? I'm not sure why I wouldn't have received my rejection along with everyone else.

Edited by Pragmatologist

3 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Hypervodka did indeed go 8 for 8! I believe she ended up choosing Emory, but all of her schools were top schools. It really was a question of fit for her too -- she had very unique research interests, but ones that meshed well with a lot of top scholars and programs. Honestly, if you have some time to waste, it might be worth it to go back looking through some of her posts from a couple of years ago. There were some other fantastic people in that cohort who did very well as well (at least two of whom still visit and/or post here from time to time), but I remember there being quite a cheering squad for Hypervodka once she was at 4/4 or so...then 5/5...6/6...etc. We'll see if you wind up being this year's Hypervodka!

As for your chili pepper...wear it with pride! I think I mentioned here last week that I got one on a student review. I was very flattered, as I'm not typically what someone would consider "hot"...but then I realized that I would be literally twice that student's age, so the flattery turned quickly to slightly uncomfortable bemusement... :unsure:

I'll definitely do some digging, you've sparked my interest ? I do think my research interests place me in a similar spot. Between book history (hot topic,) eco (really hot topic) and DH (...enough said), I have kind of a weird combo of things but somehow it works great in my mind. I guess I got lucky that what I found myself excited about are really popular and rapidly developing fields!

re: the pepper, what makes ME most uncomfortable is that, because my uni is a commuter and transfer-heavy school, most of my students are around my age. So it's not like it's totally irrational (though age rarely matters in situations of attraction), but I have a hard enough time commanding respect and then I realize that some of them don't even care what I'm talking about, they just like my looks. I even had a student reviewer on there, after a pretty nice and thorough evaluation, say "plus, she's SMOKIN HOT."

As if that matters. I didn't know how to react except I'm glad it's anonymous so I'll never know which student said it. I think I'd turn a million shades of red if I ever saw them in the halls. ?

I really should just write a strongly worded letter to RMP and tell them to remove the pepper. Haha

9 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I even had a student reviewer on there, after a pretty nice and thorough evaluation, say "plus, she's SMOKIN HOT."

As if that matters. I didn't know how to react except I'm glad it's anonymous so I'll never know which student said it. I think I'd turn a million shades of red if I ever saw them in the halls. ?

A colleague in my cohort had a (female) student in his class who told him, "You remind me of Christian Grey, um...because you wear grey a lot..." 

*shudders

6 minutes ago, ratanegra19 said:

A colleague in my cohort had a (female) student in his class who told him, "You remind me of Christian Grey, um...because you wear grey a lot..." 

*shudders

Umm, no.

There are so many weird teaching stories, guys. We could probably start a thread of them or something. 

When I was in UG, one of my classmates in my favorite class with my favorite professor told me that she wrote a...let's just say inappropropriate, add your own details at your peril...story about said prof. I had to walk away and not care about her feelings. I don't know why she told me, to this day, but it's seared in my memory. 

Students, man.

Edited by imogenshakes

6 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

When I was in UG, one of my classmates in my favorite class with my favorite professor told me that she wrote a...let's just say inappropropriate, add your own details at your peril...story about said prof. I had to walk away and not care about her feelings. I don't know why she told me, to this day, but it's seared in my memory. 

Students, man.

Oh my lord

42 minutes ago, Pragmatologist said:

That was my initial response, but browsing the history for both schools on the results page shows that they've sent acceptances and wait-list notifications throughout February as recently as last year. Is this possibly the "rolling admissions" process, or perhaps an invisible waitlist? I'm not sure why I wouldn't have received my rejection along with everyone else.

I really don't think it's a rolling admissions process. It's not uncommon for programs to send out their acceptances and waitlists a few days or more before official rejections go out. There's also the x-factor at UMD that some Ph.D. applicants might get offered M.A. slots instead (if they're still doing it that way). It's really hard to say at this point, as there's a new admissions team in place this year. It was probably irresponsible of me to put a percentage on the chances, since it's just an educated guess on my part. Still, since the clear-cut Ph.D. offers and waitlists have definitively gone out, expectations should be tempered.

12 hours ago, KTF87 said:

hehehehe - thank you, and I do hope you're right about Mcgill! let's hope it works out for you!! best of luck!!

and yes, NYU are a very good match, although CMU might as well be the best fit for me so far. What's even more frustrating is that I am coming to the USA from Lebanon, and I will need to know if there would be a potential campus visit from NYU too. I need to plan accordingly !! #third_world_problem

Thank you for the warm wishes. I'm going to need all of the luck (and patience) that I can get for the rest of this process. Best of luck to you with NYU and CMU! I hope you hear back soon so that you could plan your campus visits!

5 hours ago, victoriaaa said:

Unfortunately, I'm just entering their MA program right now, so funding may or may not happen! I was told that they give out 10 entrance awards of $5000 to their top 10 applicants, but I'm not sure how big the program is or sure what my odds are. Fingers crossed for a tiny program!

Oh, I didn't know that you were entering their MA rather than their PhD program! That definitely changes the amount of funding that you could potentially get, but $5000 is really not bad for an MA at all. Since they contacted you back so early, they're probably going to give it to you because you are likely on the top of their list. Good luck! :)

1 hour ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Oh, I didn't know that you were entering their MA rather than their PhD program! That definitely changes the amount of funding that you could potentially get, but $5000 is really not bad for an MA at all. Since they contacted you back so early, they're probably going to give it to you because you are likely on the top of their list. Good luck! :)

Fingers crossed! If they gave it to me, it'd seal the deal with them. The cherry on the top of an already very attractive cake.

To everyone who applied to Davis: I've pretty much given up hope at this point, and that's okay, but I've been wondering for a while now...am I looking at the right screen?

When I go to check my status, all I have is an Application Status Checklist that lists what materials I sent it, etc. Where am I supposed to be seeing a status? Is it at the top? Or do they not really give you a status except in email? I'm confused, and tired and neurotic.

Thanks in advance.

Never mind, I found it. Still says submitted. I hope I'm not one of the lucky chosen ones who doesn't hear anything until July! I'd like to at least have closure.

Edited by orphic_mel528

6 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

Hooray! Congrats to all of the acceptances today! Things are finally starting to pick up. I hope everyone starts to hear positive news soon! 

I got an acceptance letter today from South Carolina. Back when I was limited geographically, they were my top choice, but the offer of funding really confirms my decision to apply more broadly. I was offered tuition remission and a TA-ship, but it's not guaranteed funding; it's renewable, and it depends on the needs of the English Department and my standing in the program whether or not I'd be able to renew it. Needless to say, I'm glad I applied other places, because I've gotten much better offers elsewhere! 

In other news, I heard from the DGS at Davis again today, who told me UC schools are in a partnership and students can take courses for credit at other UC schools. So....maybe, if things pan out, I'll see some of you lucky Berkeley admits in the next few years??

Mabrook!!! (Congratulations!!!!)
I am loving the vibes and the news here. I am really happy for each and everyone of you * moment *
Keep the faith guys!!

NYU are still awfully quiet....maybe it's "the deep breath before the plunge* in Gandalf's words.

<3 <3

Received unofficial acceptance to the M.Phil in Popular Literature at Trinity College Dublin yesterday. After taking two years off since finishing undergrad, getting my first acceptance is an amazing feeling! 

Now I'm even more anxiously waiting to hear from Edinburgh, though. My Edinburgh application still says it's new and all documents pending verification so I wonder if they haven't started on it yet. I'm trying to prepare myself for a long haul but it's rough having no idea how long it might take. 

6 hours ago, claritus said:

Holy shit I just got into Berkeley. An email at 9 pm, after I had resigned myself to a rejection. Shitting complete bricks right now...

Congrats! :) Good things are still happening!