2017 Acceptances

9 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Ha! I was appalled by my quant, but my partner kindly reminded me that I haven't used algebra since my freshman year of undergrad, and again, nobody seems to care. 

I do agree, though, this is weird. Where all did you apply? Have you heard anything yet?

I, too, was appalled by my quant, but I told myself if an English PhD program doesn't want me because I can't remember rules about triangles, I probably don't want them either. 

I applied to: UMASS Amherst, Fordham, Rutgers, U of Oregon, U of Washington, and....AND! UC DAVIS! Seems to me that most of these programs notify toward the middle or end of the month.  

If we're both accepted to UC Davis and both attend, we may be destined for friendship. I had/have the same feelings you had about UC Davis being a long shot. I wonder how many EM people they accept per season? It's been awhile since I looked at their current cohort, but I feel like they already had a decent number of EM diss being supervised.

Again, genuinely so glad for your success! We'll see what happens!   

Is it possible we'll be receiving another round of Hopkins decisions?? :wacko::wacko:
- i am hoping there are more acceptances coming our way. 

please?

it's 4 PM here, and I am imagining what it's like for the adcom there at 9 AM...maybe they are having breakfast now..maybe they are brushing their teeth...

15 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

Is it possible we'll be receiving another round of Hopkins decisions?? :wacko::wacko:

I highly doubt it. They're a small program to begin with, and having multiple GCers receive offers is a pretty good sign that that's that for that.

Didn't you already get a couple of acceptances last week? Why so impatient? :P

3 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I highly doubt it. They're a small program to begin with, and having multiple GCers receive offers is a pretty good sign that that's that for that.

Didn't you already get a couple of acceptances last week? Why so impatient? :P

Hehehe, I did I did - but I am planning my flight for the campus visits and I already took some days off. I need to know if I should take more! Same goes for NW and NYU. 

I actually just saw from last year's results that some admissions and rejections did come in waves - I just need an answer, and congrats to everyone!!!! <3 

On 2/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, Wyatt's Terps said:

I received an email from ND yesterday titled "Update to your Application" and directing me to the portal. So I'm not sure what your not receiving anything means. I would assume a rejection, since you didn't receive an interview offer (I personally crossed them out two weeks ago), but I'm sorry that they haven't officially let you know anything yet. :unsure:

Ugh, thanks WT! Hoping to hear something definitive today -- we'll see what happens! Would just be nice to have the final decision.

14 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

If we're both accepted to UC Davis and both attend, we may be destined for friendship. I had/have the same feelings you had about UC Davis being a long shot. I wonder how many EM people they accept per season? It's been awhile since I looked at their current cohort, but I feel like they already had a decent number of EM diss being supervised.

Again, genuinely so glad for your success! We'll see what happens!   

Agreed! I'm not sure how many early modernists they have at a time. They have a really strong program, so it seems like there would be quite a few.

Best of luck to you, as well! I hope you hear soon.

Meanwhile, I see two more UCD acceptances on the results page...anyone care to claim? 

1 hour ago, KTF87 said:

t's 4 PM here, and I am imagining what it's like for the adcom there at 9 AM...maybe they are having breakfast now..maybe they are brushing their teeth...

hahaha I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. I'm on the east coast and most of my top choices are out west, so around lunchtime I get all anxious and then remember that they're just getting to work (maybe, if they're not still at home drinking coffee).

9 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

AHHHH just got an acceptance email from Indiana University. nominated for a fellowship as well. i'm in a class rn and should totally not be checking my email but ah i'm glad i did...

7 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Waitlisted at U. of Alabama's Strode program. :)

I'm really intrigued by the program, and would love a visit...so fingers crossed for some movement!

FANTASTIC! Congratulations, guys! 

26 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

AHHHH just got an acceptance email from Indiana University. nominated for a fellowship as well. i'm in a class rn and should totally not be checking my email but ah i'm glad i did...

Same here! It's my first acceptance of the season, and since I will have an MA by next fall I can go straight into teaching. Woohoo!

I was mooning around, feeling sad about my Duke rejection, when the email arrived this morning ^_^

Are you Lit concentration?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyone else still waiting to find out the status of their application from UMinn-Twin Cities? I saw that a bunch of rejections went out last week, but my portal didn't change from "Final Review" to "Decision Made" until today, and they still won't let me view the decision! My hopes aren't very high anymore so I'm expecting a rejection, but does anyone think there's hope there? 

8 minutes ago, melodier said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyone else still waiting to find out the status of their application from UMinn-Twin Cities? I saw that a bunch of rejections went out last week, but my portal didn't change from "Final Review" to "Decision Made" until today, and they still won't let me view the decision! My hopes aren't very high anymore so I'm expecting a rejection, but does anyone think there's hope there? 

You can email the department coordinator and ask. Her email is frede005@umn.edu and her name is Karen Frederickson. Good luck!

1 hour ago, RydraWong said:

Congrats! IU is a great school and it's such a beautiful campus. I've really loved my time here. The faculty is really excellent and they're devoted to their students. Even as an undergrad, I have a great working relationship with a lot of my professors.

1 hour ago, ratanegra19 said:

Same here! It's my first acceptance of the season, and since I will have an MA by next fall I can go straight into teaching. Woohoo!

I was mooning around, feeling sad about my Duke rejection, when the email arrived this morning ^_^

Are you Lit concentration?

Yep, I don't have an MA so it's an acceptance to the MA/PhD program for literature :) And congrats on your acceptance!! I'm interested in 20th/21st century American lit, and science and literature as well so that's cool that we're in the same field. I already have separate travel plans for the IU recruitment day date but I'm going to see about changing them around so I can attend. Hopefully I'll see you there! 

Also if this is helpful for anyone: I also got acceptance calls today from the PhD lit program at UC Davis and the MA program at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Since I've got a few PhD offers at this point, it's not likely I'll take the MA offer but the DGS at Lincoln was really nice, had very specific info about funding, etc. 

Also, jeez, when it rains, it really pours....was not expecting such a flurry of news on a Monday. 

Edited by RydraWong

20 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Also if this is helpful for anyone: I also got acceptance calls today from the PhD lit program at UC Davis and the MA program at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Since I've got a few PhD offers at this point, it's not likely I'll take the MA offer but the DGS at Lincoln was really nice, had very specific info about funding, etc. 

Wow! Major congratulations to you on all three of these! :D

14 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

Based on all of the really excellent speculation that goes on on this forum, I think that we should spend our summers developing conspiracy theories. We'd come up with some great stuff. 

I've always had a fantasy of doing a second BA, but one where I write all my papers as really immaculate conspiracy theories. Cite really excellent academic sources, beautiful prose, etc, but come to conclusions that are completely wrong and bizarre. 

16 minutes ago, claritus said:

I've always had a fantasy of doing a second BA, but one where I write all my papers as really immaculate conspiracy theories. Cite really excellent academic sources, beautiful prose, etc, but come to conclusions that are completely wrong and bizarre. 

Lol, that would be hilarious. You'd be "that student" that all the faculty giggled about over coffee in the office...

37 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Yep, I don't have an MA so it's an acceptance to the MA/PhD program for literature :) And congrats on your acceptance!! I'm interested in 20th/21st century American lit, and science and literature as well so that's cool that we're in the same field. I already have separate travel plans for the IU recruitment day date but I'm going to see about changing them around so I can attend. Hopefully I'll see you there! 

PM me if you end up going--it'll be good to know at least one person there :) 

Lurker finally coming out. :) I was accepted to University of Nebraska Lincoln on Friday (PhD in Composition and Rhetoric)! From the email I received today, it looks like they're finished. Anyone else considering UNL?

I only applied to two programs, so this is super exciting. Still waiting on Miami University.