2017 Acceptances

@kurayamino @Yanaka @Kilos and @othersamantha - Thanks a million. It's helpful to get a feel for what these are like. And I love the post-it idea. I have to keep reminding myself that they're calling with GOOD news generally, so the "impressing them" part is pretty much over. They're probably not going to revoke an acceptance because of an awkward phone call :lol:

@eatthatbee Congrats on your acceptance!! 

Guys, generally speaking, this feels like the longest week of my life. I haven't been feeling all that well anyway, so that's not helping, but knowing that we're in February is making me antsy. I mean, I'm relieved that I'm in at least somewhere, but I still have no funding info and 6 programs to hear from...gahhhh. I just want to have all the info so I can make a decision! I wish there was just a fast-forward button. *headdesk*

Ffff... Needing to vent: Berkeley is my dream school and I just know that if I haven't heard from them by Monday evening, it's hopeless! And: seeing comp lit results is starting to make me anxious and realize how tiny my chance is to get into a program. So honestly @imogenshakes be content you at least know you're entering a program next fall!! I don't want to sound bitter though, truly I'm not. :) I'm very happy for those who received positive results, I know the process has been strenuous for everybody!

4 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Guys, generally speaking, this feels like the longest week of my life. I haven't been feeling all that well anyway, so that's not helping, but knowing that we're in February is making me antsy. I mean, I'm relieved that I'm in at least somewhere, but I still have no funding info and 6 programs to hear from...gahhhh. I just want to have all the info so I can make a decision! I wish there was just a fast-forward button. *headdesk*

Yeah, it really has been a long week, hasn't it? Usually the first week of February comes with a large number of decisions, but so far this month has largely bucked the trend...

It's also weird to me that I haven't received a single official rejection email (or portal change), even though I'm pretty sure that I've been nixed from three or four programs, based on other early modern acceptances/interviews to those same programs. 

It's undeniably huge that I have an acceptance under my belt -- I'm continuously thrilled whenever I think about it -- but it doesn't change the fact that I want to know all of the results, like, yesterday. I feel like I said the same thing very recently, but blah. 

3 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

It's also weird to me that I haven't received a single official rejection email (or portal change), even though I'm pretty sure that I've been nixed from three or four programs, based on other early modern acceptances/interviews to those same programs. 

This is my issue too...I've been crossing schools off my list just based on other EM acceptances, but I haven't heard a single thing from a single school which is killing me

25 minutes ago, crugs said:

This is my issue too...I've been crossing schools off my list just based on other EM acceptances, but I haven't heard a single thing from a single school which is killing me

Another thing that sucks about this is that few early modern GCers will wind up in the same program. It would have been nice to have some virtual pre-association with a program-field-cohortee, but since there are usually one, maybe two of us brought in per program, we largely cancel each other out. :(

anyone applying for the PhD in LCS at Carnegie Mellon?

I was able to access my application for the first time in more than a month - which means they must have activated the system to read our materials.

And the Recommendation Letters section was Last Modified today!! I am sure it means they are reading our applications as we speak.

One of the best fits, but most selective for sure. Hope it works out for all of you!! <3

1 hour ago, imogenshakes said:

@eatthatbee Congrats on your acceptance!! 

Thank you! I also should mention that I received admission to Ohio State University as well. I was one of the early posters on the "results search" page for OSU. I'm in medieval literature and I know there are a lot of really smart medievalists applying so I feel very fortunate.

14 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

I was able to access my application for the first time in more than a month - which means they must have activated the system to read our materials.

Interesting! Same here! It's been locked down with a generic "Application window is closed" message for over a month, but I can get on today. 

14 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

And the Recommendation Letters section was Last Modified today!! I am sure it means they are reading our applications as we speak.

I wouldn't read too much into the "Last Modified" stuff; I got an acceptance phone call from Carnegie Mellon's English department (Rhetoric program) and all of my "Last Modified" dates are from late November when I submitted my app. Your date change might mean something, but might not.

At the bottom of the page it says: " When the admissions committee has completed their review, you will be notified of their decision by email early in March," but I haven't a clue how accurate that will end up being.

3 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Interesting! Same here! It's been locked down with a generic "Application window is closed" message for over a month, but I can get on today. 

I wouldn't read too much into the "Last Modified" stuff; I got an acceptance phone call from Carnegie Mellon's English department (Rhetoric program) and all of my "Last Modified" dates are from late November when I submitted my app. Your date change might mean something, but might not.

At the bottom of the page it says: " When the admissions committee has completed their review, you will be notified of their decision by email early in March," but I haven't a clue how accurate that will end up being.

Awesome! and congrats!!!! 
I am guessing it is not accurate at all then :D

8 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

Awesome! and congrats!!!! 
I am guessing it is not accurate at all then :D

Thanks very much! I applied for the Ph.D. program but they only take like 3 doctoral students every year (rarely without a graduate degree), so they accepted me into the M.A. program. That's why I was questioning the accuracy of the "early in March" statement--it could still be accurate if they're referring only to Ph.D. acceptances. Best of luck to you--hoping you get in!

10 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Thanks very much! I applied for the Ph.D. program but they only take like 3 doctoral students every year (rarely without a graduate degree), so they accepted me into the M.A. program. That's why I was questioning the accuracy of the "early in March" statement--it could still be accurate if they're referring only to Ph.D. acceptances. Best of luck to you--hoping you get in!

There's a chance that they also haven't  updated that information in years. I think someone said they contacted a few students and one of them had dropped out years ago.

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

There's a chance that they also haven't  updated that information in years. I think someone said they contacted a few students and one of them had dropped out years ago.

Yeah, that's a very real possibility too. I've noticed a lot of these portals are quite outdated in some form or another.

3 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Yeah, that's a very real possibility too. I've noticed a lot of these portals are quite outdated in some form or another.

I contacted the DGS a few months ago at one school. They send me an e-mail saying that the current DGS was someone else.  Some schools even mention certain professors on sabbatical in the 2013 school year. =/

There have been times where I've been: Can I work for all the universities and update all the websites?

First official rejection from Northwestern this morning. I went back and looked at my SOP and am not surprised- all those dec 1st deadline applications got earlier SOP drafts that I'm not very proud of. Oddly it's a relief to have any kind of definitive answer even though I've got a few implied rejections floating out there. Sincerest congrats to those that were accepted to Northwestern! They've got a couple really interesting gender studies professors!

On to the next..... Duke literature- where are you?? Feeling like a needy girlfriend over here. My mom suggested I call with an accent and say I'm writing a (very specific) article for a very (no don't ask you haven't heard of it) famous newspaper about English PhD acceptance result dates............

Edited by LouisePlease

19 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

First official rejection from Northwestern this morning. I went back and looked at my SOP and am not surprised- all those dec 1st deadline applications got earlier SOP drafts that I'm not very proud of. Oddly it's a relief to have any kind of definitive answer even though I've got a few implied rejections floating out there. Sincerest congrats to those that were accepted to Northwestern! They've got a couple really interesting gender studies professors!

On to the next..... Duke literature- where are you?? Feeling like a needy girlfriend over here. My mom suggested I call with an accent and say I'm writing a (very specific) article for a very (no don't ask you haven't heard of it) famous newspaper about English PhD acceptance result dates............

When I called Yale last semester to inquire about something, the grad school greeted me by my first name without telling them who I was. Not sure whether to have felt flattered or creeped out.

7 minutes ago, crugs said:

Also got the Northwestern rejection email...It was nicer than just a notice to check the portal, but I'm still absolutely gutted by it. First official rejection (even though same as @LouisePlease I've got a couple implied)...
Dreading the next few weeks of this 

Keep your head-up, both of you. There are still a few weeks with a few yes-es on the way. :) (maybeidon'tknowIcan'tguaranteetheoutcomes)

1 hour ago, KTF87 said:

anyone applying for the PhD in LCS at Carnegie Mellon?

One of the best fits, but most selective for sure. Hope it works out for all of you!! <3

I am! :D Good luck to you! I noticed that the bottom of the page says we'll be notified in early March of a decision, so we may have quite the wait ahead of us. :/

50 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I contacted the DGS a few months ago at one school. They send me an e-mail saying that the current DGS was someone else.  Some schools even mention certain professors on sabbatical in the 2013 school year. =/

There have been times where I've been: Can I work for all the universities and update all the websites?

ha, yes, I've thought the same thing on several occasions:

"Surely, good sir/madam, if you feel my credentials do not merit a place in this incoming cohort, it would be well worth your time to employ me to update your tragically outdated admissions portal! This way you can attract far better candidates than yours truly, and I can save all the time and hard work I'd end up spending getting an advanced degree while simultaneously entering into a lucrative career.

Kindest regards,

--A smarmy prick who just blew any chance he ever had of joining your fine institution."

Rejected from Northwestern as well. 

1 hour ago, LouisePlease said:

Pretty much in the same boat, those December 1st deadlines came up too suddenly for me! It does give me some hope to know that my application is stronger (at least I think it is) for the later deadlines, though. Congrats to everyone who got in though! Northwestern is a great school and Evanston is a lovely place!  

39 minutes ago, ZacOfAllTrades said:

Hey, guys,

Brand new to the site (so jumping in right when people are beginning to receive acceptance/rejection notifications has been an exercise in anxiety management).

Just wondering, anyone heard anything from Emory yet?

Someone here heard from Emory about an interview request on Jan 17. (Emory is one of the few schools that do interviews)

7 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Rice is me, got the email from the DGS earlier this afternoon! Very excited! She said the competition was stiff this year, both in terms of number and quality. My portal remains unchanged though.

Congrats on the acceptance!