2017 Acceptances

14 minutes ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Guys, guys! I just got a wait list e-mail for OSU~ Holy moley. It's not an acceptance, but for the 1st thing I hear back, I'll take it! 

Anyone else in this boat with me?

Still pending. I'm going to assume rejection at this point, but still have like 5% faith in the MA vs BA theory. 

Excited for everybody currently reporting acceptances/waitlists! Such awesome news.

I'm still in limbo (none of my schools typically report until mid-late February) and I'm living vicariously! 

33 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

Still pending. I'm going to assume rejection at this point, but still have like 5% faith in the MA vs BA theory. 

My status changed to a rejection a few hours ago and I'm a BA, whatever that may mean for you...

33 minutes ago, Caien said:

My status changed to a rejection a few hours ago and I'm a BA, whatever that may mean for you...

juuuuuust changed to a rejection.

Edited by kirbs005
Changed right after I posted.

I believe I posted my initial acceptance (University of Louisville) in the wrong board (oops :blink:), but as I've now located the correct venue: accepted to OSU and UW-Madison as well! For anyone who may be keeping track, I'm a Rhet/Comp applicant currently in an MA program. My undergraduate institution is a small liberal arts college just outside of Columbus, so OSU and its campus definitely have a special place in my heart.  
Congratulations to everyone who's gotten good news in the last couple of days! It certainly seems that the decision period is starting with a bang!

19 minutes ago, Caien said:

Can't believe it's still only January...

Yeah so many schools have notified early this year too. Every day I wake up and manically check my email, which might not be sustainable through February. 

Waiting on responses from the Applied Math programs at DePaul and UIC, and Applied Statistics at Loyola...literally pulling my hair out even though it's still January. Has anyone heard from these schools? I know the first poster heard from DePaul (congrats!!!)

4 hours ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Guys, guys! I just got a wait list e-mail for OSU~ Holy moley. It's not an acceptance, but for the 1st thing I hear back, I'll take it! 

Anyone else in this boat with me?

I'm also waitlisted. TT

7 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

One unique thing about OSU's application is that you add all of your English-related courses to an additional page on your C.V. It's likely an easy way for them to see how genre-focused or diverse your studies were. 

Oh I didn't do that... heedless of me to have skipped it... nice to know that, and gonna add it!

12 minutes ago, hmss9245 said:

Oh I didn't do that... heedless of me to have skipped it... nice to know that, and gonna add it!

Small note:  Not sure if you applied to English or Comp lit but Comp Lit might have different requirements than English.

1 hour ago, jwood9 said:

Waiting on responses from the Applied Math programs at DePaul and UIC, and Applied Statistics at Loyola...literally pulling my hair out even though it's still January. Has anyone heard from these schools? I know the first poster heard from DePaul (congrats!!!)

Think you're in the wrong place!! We're talking 'bout literature :)

53 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Small note:  Not sure if you applied to English or Comp lit but Comp Lit might have different requirements than English.

I applied to the English one, omg I really did not see it ... 

• curriculum vitae/resume of no more than two pages with a clearly stated sentence at the beginning of the CV that declares your scholarly area of interest(s), for example: American literature and queer theory, 18th-century poetry, or postcolonial theory and women writers.   Please include a summary page giving your undergraduate GPA and GPA for courses in English with your curriculum vitae/resume.

I did include the summary of my GPA for courses in English though...

Edit: lol "Curriculum Vitae" really means something else... NOW I understand...

Edit once more: Still not fully understood, but I only did it like "UGPA Summary: 3.xx" in one or two lines. Guess I need to put a more precise description for each course contributing to that total GPA?

Edited by hmss9245

Congrats to all those who are already hearing back with good news from schools! And a special congrats to all the OSU acceptances! I'm a PhD candidate at OSU in my 3rd year (I entered with an MA) and look forward to meeting you all at our Open House in March. I'm happy to be in touch with any questions you might have about the program or my experience in Ohio in the meantime, especially those who will be considering our rhet/comp program.

Edited to add: 

From my understanding, OSU only accepts people the program can nominate for university-wide fellowships now. So if you have an acceptance, you will be nominated for a fellowship. Last year, every incoming graduate student in English entered with at least a one-year fellowship.

Edited by Chadillac

@imogenshakes, @RydraWong Thank you both! I am waiting for a second-round! I do hope they would like to have at least one student who is interested in contemporary poetry. 

And @imogenshakes, do you think I should contact my POI at this time to ask about the status? He is nice but I don't know if it is appropriate to do so.

Edited by Lovegood

On 1/24/2017 at 9:54 AM, alliex7843 said:

Huge congrats to everyone who got in!!!

Any chance folks want to claim the OSU accpetances that don't list which time period/interest group they applied in?

Everyone who's included that info has claimed either medieval or early modern. And I know someone who got in (and may or may not have posted) who studies Shakespeare. Might put those of us who are pending and applied in other periods/groups at ease. :)

I'm an OSU acceptance, and I'm an Early Americanist! Also got invited to visit Notre Dame! I realized I put my GRE quantitative scores incorrectly on the results page... Oh well. Not like our programs care much about math.

Congrats to all-it's been a big week for surprisingly early decisions! 

4 hours ago, Lovegood said:

@imogenshakes, @RydraWong Thank you both! I am waiting for a second-round! I do hope they would like to have at least one student who is interested in contemporary poetry. 

And @imogenshakes, do you think I should contact my POI at this time to ask about the status? He is nice but I don't know if it is appropriate to do so.

@Lovegood Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get an acceptance next round!

Re: your other question, I'm not sure. My POI is good friends with my mentor at my current uni, so they've been in contact and she has been keeping me updated. If you do email to check, I would suggest emailing the DGS instead of your POI. Personally, I worry about "bothering" people (though I'm not sure it necessarily would be a bother. I know I overthink EVERYTHING) whose job doesn't require them to answer questions like that, which is why I suggest the DGS instead (because it is her job). You might also give it another week...this seems really early, so you may hear something soon anyway!

1 hour ago, earlyamericandramaturg said:

I'm an OSU acceptance, and I'm an Early Americanist! Also got invited to visit Notre Dame! I realized I put my GRE quantitative scores incorrectly on the results page... Oh well. Not like our programs care much about math.

Congrats to all-it's been a big week for surprisingly early decisions! 

Hooray! Congrats on your acceptance and your invite, just getting an ND invite is a big deal! Bravo.

I agree with everyone above regarding contacting POI's. I know with all the early acceptances rights now, it might predispose us to panic. Most schools have still not sent out decisions, and if trends follow (I know there's been a few surprises this year), most of us will  hear back from programs in February. Gotta keep our heads up :)

@imogenshakes, @Yanaka, @KikiDelivery

Thank you, guys!

I agree with you. I contacted the UMN Graduate Admission Coordinator to ask about my supplymentary materials, and I mentioned the early acceptances. The coordinator said Yes, the others are awaiting program decision for two more weeks. I think this is a normal situation for every program. So let's be patient! 

My first result was a rejection from OSU--yesterday evening my status was updated to "denied" and this morning at around 7 I got an email.

Then ten minutes ago I got a wait list email from Minnesota. Apparently they were "favorably impressed," but could not offer a financial aid package, and since they guarantee funding: wait list.

I'm not especially surprised about OSU since 1) I'm not the greatest fit with the program, 2) Their application confused the hell out of me so I'm sure I screwed up some part of it, and 3) I'm applying from in-state and I've heard that's not exactly a plus. I'm actually kind of surprised Minnesota liked me, to be honest. I thought I wasn't an especially good fit either, but I'm glad to know someone disagreed with me at least a bit.

11 minutes ago, Lovegood said:

I agree with you. I contacted the UMN Graduate Admission Coordinator to ask about my supplymentary materials, and I mentioned the early acceptances. The coordinator said Yes, the others are awaiting program decision for two more weeks. I think this is a normal situation for every program. So let's be patient! 

The 'others' ... makes me feel so LOSTy

Anyone have thoughts on what it means for some to hear acceptances and some waitlists early on? (Re: UMN)...Does it go by research focus? I know we don't really know what goes on in their heads, but to me it reads: if you have not heard it's a no.