2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I guess we know where she stands on the Imogen vs. Innogen debate. :P

(For what it's worth, I'm in the Innogen minority... :o)

hahaha a whole other conversation for a whole other day! #TeamImogen

13 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Woot woot! Way to go!

Thanks, WT! (I can call you that, yes? I've been lurking forever, so it feels like I know you. You seem to be quite the presence around here!)

4 hours ago, crugs said:

Also @imogenshakes I love your handle!!! Cymbeline is one of my absolute favorites!!

Thank you! I adore Cymbeline. Imogen mostly, of course. Generally speaking, I suck at choosing handles/usernames/titles/etc. so it's good to know this one's not bad!

18 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Thanks, WT! (I can call you that, yes? I've been lurking forever, so it feels like I know you. You seem to be quite the presence around here!)

I have a feeling that even if I get shut out this time around, I'll continue to stick around GC, akin to the old guy who sits in the corner of a bar, saying vaguely interesting things from time to time, but mainly becoming a part of the atmosphere... Or perhaps more like Old Bill from Westworld, the "host" who would have been impressive in his own time, but now just looks like a primitive, creaky android...

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsW/tve18562-3847-20161002-0.jpg

(And yes, you can call me WT!)

58 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I have a feeling that even if I get shut out this time around, I'll continue to stick around GC, akin to the old guy who sits in the corner of a bar, saying vaguely interesting things from time to time, but mainly becoming a part of the atmosphere... Or perhaps more like Old Bill from Westworld, the "host" who would have been impressive in his own time, but now just looks like a primitive, creaky android...

That's one humdinger of a story, partner.

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

13 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

That's one humdinger of a story, partner.

Shall we drink to the lady with the white shoes?

(Ugh, I just loved Westworld so much.)

On 1/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, eadwacer said:

I'm applying there too! A friend of mine who teaches history did her PhD there, and she was sharing her alumni newsletter with me last night and I freaked out because someone I mentioned I wanted to work with had a short article in it and it was super relevant to my research interests. Now I don't know if I'm going to make it to next week without actually exploding or crying or wearing my applications folder as a hat while running screaming down the street...

Are you applying with an MA or BA? 

On 1/18/2017 at 0:33 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Well, good. Thanks. Also, as a terrified first-gen with little-to-no help and guidance aside from my mentors, GC has been one of the best things for my sanity, so I can't say that sticking around (regardless of outcome) would be a bad thing for anyone.

Side note: a good friend of mine (applying from UG at my current uni) just heard from Oxford's MST (I think something to do with comp lit, too?) program. She got in. So maybe English acceptances from there will be rolling in soon?

21 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Side note: a good friend of mine (applying from UG at my current uni) just heard from Oxford's MST (I think something to do with comp lit, too?) program. She got in. So maybe English acceptances from there will be rolling in soon?

Today was the application deadline for the English MSt program's...

On 1/13/2017 at 9:13 PM, anxiousgrad said:

I applied to OSU! Freaking out because if they follow precedent, we may hear from them within the next week. *shrieks*

My status is still "pending". What about yours? You applied for PhD is it?

4 hours ago, Srutartha said:

My status is still "pending". What about yours? You applied for PhD is it?

Yes, I also applied for the PhD and I'm still "pending." I think we'll probably hear something by Wednesday! 

Good luck, I hope we both get in! 

I GOT INTO MADISON!!!!!

I just spent 20 minutes sobbing into my hubby's shirt. I'm kind of in disbelief. Had written off the option because I messed up the formatting of my writing sample, so I guess this means that those things don't matter too much. I'm so excited!

Hoping all of you who applied to OSU hear back soon!

4 minutes ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

Congrats to the person who received an acceptance to the University of Wisconsin-Madison! 

That was me! Got the email at 8am PST...still in shock and kind of convinced that they've sent the email to the wrong person but also incredibly relieved and grateful, especially after a disheartening rejection from Duke the other day. 

Edited by RydraWong

2 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

That was me! Got the email at 8am PST...still in shock and kind of convinced that they've sent the email to the wrong person but also incredibly relieved and grateful, especially after a disheartening rejection from Duke the other day. 

Looks like there is a bunch of cross posting going on, and also two of us ? Congratulations!

2 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Looks like there is a bunch of cross posting going on, and also two of us ? Congratulations!

Oops yeah right after I posted mine and I was like oh there are more UW-Madison results up yay!! Huge congrats to you - if I had someone's shirt to sob into I would almost certainly have done so but I'm at work right now and so had to make due with hugging coworkers and just staring here in shock haha. Very happy for you :)

10 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I GOT INTO MADISON!!!!!

9 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Oh HOORAY! Major congratulations to you both!

28 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

27 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Oops yeah right after I posted mine and I was like oh there are more UW-Madison results up yay!! Huge congrats to you - if I had someone's shirt to sob into I would almost certainly have done so but I'm at work right now and so had to make due with hugging coworkers and just staring here in shock haha. Very happy for you :)

Congrats to both of you. Did Madison send funding info? I know last year that someone was admitted but was only offered 3 years funding.

42 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I GOT INTO MADISON!!!!!

41 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Ah that's great guys! Well done :)

Guest tarsila89

@JessicaLange Hi Jessica, congratulations! I laughed reading your post because I got the exact same ominous email saying "a decision has been made" and a link, but mine from UC Davis. It was 5:55AM, I couldn't sleep so I was waiting on a bus stop to go the gym when the email came. I had to tell the bus driver the good news because no one else I knew was awake haha. 

Anyone else here applied to UC Davis? It was sort of my backup, but now I'm actually very excited about the prospect of going there, even more so than my other options (or maybe I'm just telling myself that so I don't feel too sad when the PhD programs reject me haha). They offered a great funding package and mentioned a "salary," anyone knows how much that could be? 

Fall 2017 MA/PhD Applicant, Art History

Accepted (1/4); Rejected (0/4); Waitlisted (0/4)

UC Davis (MA), UC Berkeley (PhD), Stanford (PhD), SFSU (MA)

58 minutes ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

I'm out of likes rn but congrats to both of you!!! Participating in these forums now has me super emotionally invested in everyone here getting into a program lol 

Hahaha - I'm feeling the same way! Congrats to all the recently accepted folks!! Let your happy tears flow~