2017 Acceptances

5 minutes ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND! Thank God!

I cried in my office for an hour because this is the best news I've heard all year. 

Congratulations on your acceptance!

1 hour ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

I cried in my office for an hour because this is the best news I've heard all year. 

Woo hoo!!!!! So so SO incredibly happy for you! We've got a great program, and some great folks in your era in particular (students and faculty). I look forward to meeting you at the day for admitted students!

13 hours ago, JeremyWrites said:

When you get a phone call from an unfamiliar number with an area code that may match up to one of your schools.... and it's a telemarketer. 

This week is going to kill me.

YES. That happened to me yesterday! What a fun next month or so we'll have.

11 hours ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

Congrats!! That's wonderful:D

21 hours ago, piers_plowman said:

Thanks so much, and congrats to you as well, I see you're already on the board yourself! Early modern is such a fascinating pair with ecocrit, so many assumptions about the status of the human (what defines it, what its differences are from animals and other matter) aren't in place yet, even if you can recognize them forming.

Thank you! I'm into two, just waiting on funding info for both. I do love the eco/EM slant, especially in relation to print and manuscript cultures. I do a lot of work with 17th century ms recipe books, and the agency that these (mainly) women assign to the natural world through their recipes really Looks forward to where the postmodern sustainability movement is headed. So much respect for beings they didn't fully understand! We could use more of that right now, imo.

Also, congrats to all of these new acceptances and interviews! I think things are about to pick up some serious speed around here. 

Officially on the waitlist at Boston College! If anyone is still waiting to hear news:

Received an email notification first directly from director of the PhD program asking for the best times to call.

Received a phone call later from director, explaining the waitlist procedure (which is the same as a normal waitlist) as well as funding information if accepted off of the waitlist.

Immensely honored to be considered!

Good luck to everyone as we enter February! For all those who haven't heard news yet, don't lose hope! For those who have only received bad news so far, keep your head up! For those who have heard good news (acceptance/waitlist), congratulations, and I hope you continue to have excellent responses!

13 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

Officially on the waitlist at Boston College! If anyone is still waiting to hear news:

Received an email notification first directly from director of the PhD program asking for the best times to call.

Received a phone call later from director, explaining the waitlist procedure (which is the same as a normal waitlist) as well as funding information if accepted off of the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone as we enter February! For all those who haven't heard news yet, don't lose hope! For those who have only received bad news so far, keep your head up! For those who have heard good news (acceptance/waitlist), congratulations, and I hope you continue to have excellent responses!

Congrats on the BC waitlist. It's a great program and location. :)

13 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

Awesome! Congratulations on the waitlist! 

26 minutes ago, Sunsy said:

Congratulations everyone on the acceptances!

I got an email today from the DGS at Alabama saying they will accept me for the strode renaissance MA! First piece of real news and I'm so glad to know that I'll have somewhere to go next year! :lol: 

Congrats! The Strode program at Alabama has a killer placement into really great PHD programs.

36 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats! The Strode program at Alabama has a killer placement into really great PHD programs.

Indeed! I'm anxiously waiting to see if I nabbed the Ph.D. slot there... Doubtful at this point... :unsure:

Is it typical to receive fellowship information prior to admissions information? I had one program reach out to do so, and I was (pleasently) surprised. I just thought that it would be the other way around. I'm not complaining though :D

On 1/31/2017 at 2:45 PM, ProfessionalNerd said:

Is it typical to receive fellowship information prior to admissions information? I had one program reach out to do so, and I was (pleasently) surprised. I just thought that it would be the other way around. I'm not complaining though :D

It's unusual but it happens from time to time. Congrats!

On 1/31/2017 at 3:54 PM, KikiDelivery said:

I got into Delaware! :)

Congrats; their track in "Print and Material Culture" seems very interesting.

18 hours ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

17 hours ago, KikiDelivery said:

I got into Delaware! :)

10 hours ago, othersamantha said:

I can claim one of the Penn State acceptances! I got the call on Friday. Very excited!!

Fantastic news, everyone! Congratulations!! 

Oh, this is random, but I'm curious since @othersamantha mentioned a call from Penn State. Those of you who have received phone calls to inform you of acceptances...what are they like? Are they long, or just a quick "you're in, congrats, here's funding info"? Is there any discussion about research or anything? The reason I ask is because I'm about the most awkward person on the phone, and my track record of reactions to acceptances doesn't bode well for me being calm and composed and professional if a program calls (I'm fairly certain I went into shock when I got the email from Madison, haha). From the looks of it, the UC schools generally make calls, and I just want to prepare myself as much as I can so I don't have a meltdown "in front of" a grad director or POI. 

Generally speaking, I love being an introvert, but not in these situations. haha

24 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Oh, this is random, but I'm curious since @othersamantha mentioned a call from Penn State. Those of you who have received phone calls to inform you of acceptances...what are they like? Are they long, or just a quick "you're in, congrats, here's funding info"? Is there any discussion about research or anything? The reason I ask is because I'm about the most awkward person on the phone, and my track record of reactions to acceptances doesn't bode well for me being calm and composed and professional if a program calls (I'm fairly certain I went into shock when I got the email from Madison, haha). From the looks of it, the UC schools generally make calls, and I just want to prepare myself as much as I can so I don't have a meltdown "in front of" a grad director or POI. 

Generally speaking, I love being an introvert, but not in these situations. haha

When I applied I received quite a few acceptance phone calls and I was exactly the same way. So I let them all go to voicemail. They all left messages and I was able to call them back when I was more composed... lol. It also let me think about what questions I might have for a particular program rather than being "on the spot" which I'm definitely not any good at.

I have a post-it on my wall (which I should probably copy to keep in my wallet) with reactions, courtesy answers and questions written down :P 

@imogenshakes Thanks so much!! I too am a little nervous talking to anyone on the phone! The call was definitely unexpected, and I actually missed it and had to call back the next day after the DGS (who was so, so nice) left me a voicemail. To second @kurayamino, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a voicemail and then calling back when you're a little more composed! When I did speak with her, it was a pretty brief call -- she just congratulated me, gave me a quick rundown of what came along with the offer (funding, assistantship responsibilities, etc), let me know that visit days would be coming up, and asked me if I had any initial questions. We didn't talk about research or anything; she just said that she was sure the faculty in my area would be glad to meet with me if I'm able to make it for a visit! I also received an email a few days later with some more detailed information.

Edited by othersamantha

3 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

Oh, this is random, but I'm curious since @othersamantha mentioned a call from Penn State. Those of you who have received phone calls to inform you of acceptances...what are they like? Are they long, or just a quick "you're in, congrats, here's funding info"? Is there any discussion about research or anything? The reason I ask is because I'm about the most awkward person on the phone, and my track record of reactions to acceptances doesn't bode well for me being calm and composed and professional if a program calls

I don't want to yak your ear off, but since you asked I'll try to be detailed:

When my POI called from Carnegie Mellon we talked for about 30 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. I was excited to talk to her, because I've been following her work for years and years, and I was amazed that she's the one that called me, because I didn't even name-drop in my SoP. Throughout the conversation I was really cautious, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't keeping her on the line (knowing how busy professors get). She was the one that kept the conversation going. She talked the program up for a few minutes, noting its exclusivity, its success rate with Ph.D. placements, its faculty, interdisciplinary resources, writing center, etc. She explained my funding offer and my other avenues for income (RA/TA/Tutoring/etc.) Then she spent about five minutes recommending very specific courses that she thought I should take based on my SoP (even giving me course numbers), and even professors I should try to talk to about their work. Then she spent about five minutes talking about different professors I could RA for, and what the work would look like under each of them. She told me about the upcoming open house and recommended I come, should I be able to swing it. We spent the last 10-15 minutes having a discussion on our shared interests, public policy, and institutional anxiety/metacognition/self-efficacy (which is where my research background lies).

It was really laid-back, she was an absolute delight to talk to, and it didn't feel very stressful.

I'm probably just as awkward as you are on the phone, and I didn't feel too out of place. After all, they're the ones calling us

For what it's worth, this call might have been a bit out of the ordinary. I've heard horror stories from friends about insanely awkward calls.

My advice: Be polite, be humble, thank them for their time and their call (even if you're not super excited for whatever reason), and have a question or two to ask in advance so you sound interested. If they're calling to tell you you've been accepted, you're already over the hump and there's no reason to be nervous. You won--they're calling you to say congratulations.

Edit: OH, and she said another professor (who I'd already been in touch with) would be calling me sometime in the coming week to confirm some things. She also said the official offer email would follow.

Edited by Kilos