2017 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

In other news, congrats to the person who got accepted to Bowling Green! It's amazing that they were able to keep operating in the wake of the massacre... ;)

HA. 

I work as a technical writer and I spent about 20 minutes in Photoshop this morning whipping up an "I STAND WITH BOWLING GREEN" Facebook profile picture. I try not to be too political online, so I ended up not using it, but it kept me giggling for a few hours.

18 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

womp. 

Really starting to look hard at the likelihood of striking out. I probably should have applied to MA programs....

Bienvenido/a in my world!

12 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Sorry, JW. But remember that it's still early! And on the subject of M.A. programs, UMD is known for offering quite a few to people who didn't quite make the Ph.D. cut (including yours truly). With the TA / RA options on campus, the M.A. can essentially be fully funded with a significant stipend. Since you're an applicant with a B.A., this is a significant possibility for you...

---

In other news, congrats to the person who got accepted to Bowling Green! It's amazing that they were able to keep operating in the wake of the massacre... ;)

Indeed. Thanks for the encouragement... we shall see where it goes. If only I can be as lucky! 

And thanks for the commiseration, all...

And yes, such heros at Bowling Green! 

Edited by JeremyWrites

52 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

womp. 

Really starting to look hard at the likelihood of striking out. I probably should have applied to MA programs....

The majority of schools haven't made their decisions yet. But there are some MA programs that haven't reached their deadlines yet. A few of them don't have it until March.

43 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Feeling the same way. I haven't received any rejections yet (most of my schools are still a few weeks away from announcing), but I'm getting this heavy vibe that I shot too high and didn't throw out a wide enough net. I wouldn't have been happy with a wider net, as I applied only to schools I was really excited about, but at this point I'd almost be willing to pay $60 just to decline a Ph.D. acceptance. ha. 

I FEED ON YOUR VALIDATION. mwahah.

While casting a wide net can be important, it doesn't make sense if you wouldn't be happy at the school. It is a 5-6-7-10 year process for most people depending on the program's requirements. Not being excited would mean that you'd be more likely to drop out and not complete what you came for. In the end, it's better to have 1 really good school that you're excited about rather than 5 schools that you'd rather not attend.

23 minutes ago, Warelin said:

While casting a wide net can be important, it doesn't make sense if you wouldn't be happy at the school. It is a 5-6-7-10 year process for most people depending on the program's requirements. Not being excited would mean that you'd be more likely to drop out and not complete what you came for. In the end, it's better to have 1 really good school that you're excited about rather than 5 schools that you'd rather not attend.

I unequivocally agree, and that's at the core of why I only applied to a (relative) handful of schools. It doesn't change the fact that it's really going to sting when I don't get into any of the Ph.D. programs I really wanted to get into. If anything, it might make it a bit harder on a personal level, because these weren't just throw-away schools, they're the schools and programs that I felt would most impact my future or change my life. Still, I'm in complete agreement--I'm not about to start haphazardly throwing out applications just for the hell of it, I was just joking that any acceptance would feel good at this point.

9 minutes ago, Sunsy said:

AHHHH I GOT INTO HOPKINS!!!!!!!

I'm shaking and freaking out you guys. This is a dream come true, especially since my brother is there now getting his PhD!

Way to go! It's a small program, but full of rock stars. Sharon Achinstein in particular is a delight -- I attended a great talk of hers on Milton last spring. And Baltimore is a lovely city. Congrats!!

Edited by Wyatt's Terps

Hi all!

I've been accepted to two programs so far: Kansas State and West Virginia University. I know these aren't exactly top ranking programs (although, truthfully, I applied to a lot of lower ranking programs since I only have a ~3.7 UG GPA from a UK uni), but I haven't heard much about them on the forums. Anyone else applied to either MA program? 

Congrats on Johns Hopkins, y'all! That's great news!

I just got wait listed at Rochester via email. Which like. Is also okay news, although given that this is my second wait list in a row I'm starting to feel like everyone's second choice. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, claritus said:

Adding myself to the Hopkins admits!! I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit right now. @Sunsy and @piers_plowman, it will be great to meet you two :)

Congratulations!! I very much hope you both attend the visiting weekend so we can reconvene our GC forum there. It would be cathartic after all this anxious hand-wringing.

5 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Congratulations!! I very much hope you both attend the visiting weekend so we can reconvene our GC forum there. It would be cathartic after all this anxious hand-wringing.

Yes! I intend to attend (lol) and it'll be great to have a little GC moment. Super thrilling! 

9 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

Guyyyyys where's my UT Austin email?? Is anyone else still waiting to hear?? 

FWIW, in the past UT has done acceptances/rejections in waves, so not everyone hears right away. I don't know how they're doing it this year, but I wouldn't consider the admission decisions closed yet.

If anyone has questions about UT grad life, I'm happy to answer them!

10 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

I'm curious if the person who posted about UT - Knoxville meant to post for UT - Austin. I'm waiting for the University of Tennessee and my heart jumped a bit; it also seems a bit early for Knoxville.

I meant Tennessee, so I put that down. Just checked today and got rejected.

1 hour ago, piers_plowman said:
1 hour ago, Sunsy said:

AHHHH I GOT INTO HOPKINS!!!!!!!

I'm shaking and freaking out you guys. This is a dream come true, especially since my brother is there now getting his PhD!

I'm into Hopkins as well! Congrats Sunsy!! I can't believe it, I've rechecked the email like ten times

Congats to all 3 of you! It is a really great program and one I have my eye on for next year.

1 hour ago, claritus said:

Adding myself to the Hopkins admits!! I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit right now. @Sunsy and @piers_plowman, it will be great to meet you two :)

30 minutes ago, silenus_thescribe said:

FWIW, in the past UT has done acceptances/rejections in waves, so not everyone hears right away. I don't know how they're doing it this year, but I wouldn't consider the admission decisions closed yet.

If anyone has questions about UT grad life, I'm happy to answer them!

Ahh thank you! I was approaching full panic mode.