2017 Acceptances

3 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I just got a call from my POI at UC Davis! I'm in with full funding! 

So much good news today, everyone! Congrats to all of the Pitt acceptances (and the others I may have missed in my panicked frenzy)! I'M SO EXCITED

Congrats, such an amazing program for early modern! Gina Bloom and Fran Dolan are rockstars

3 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Congrats, such an amazing program for early modern! Gina Bloom and Fran Dolan are rockstars

Thank you! And I knoooow. Those two are major reasons I applied. And I was about the most awkward person on the phone (as I anticipated being), but I think it was fine. I'll follow up with more questions when I'm not running around the room trying to keep my adrenaline in check.

Afternoon gang! Yep, I'm constantly checking the results survey page. Has anyone heard back from Iowa or Oregon yet? English MFA for me hopefully. I think they don't decide until end of Feb or March, sheesh. Still, I can't help but look at who's heard back. This is crazy making...I look at the websites, all say submitted/ in review. It looks like the 3 colleges I applied to call with good news or email with bad...

Sleam

Edited by Sleam

8 minutes ago, Sleam said:

Afternoon gang! Yep, I'm constantly checking the results survey page. Has anyone heard back from Iowa or Oregon yet? English MFA for me hopefully.

Hey Sleam, welcome! I think most people in this thread have English literature/comp/rhet applications out. I think people applying for MFAs are discussing apps over in the literary arts forums: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/80-literary/ I've got one MFA application out as well, among my English lit/rhet apps, so I check over there every once in a while to see what people are talking about.

I'm a long-time lurker, but I just wanted to share that I got into the English PhD program at Washington University in St. Louis!  It's a great fit for me.  Thank you all so much for providing this community - it's been so helpful to hear from other people undergoing the same challenges.  

If any other WashU applicant has any questions about my experience, feel free to message me, but I posted everything I know in the results page.  I'd also be curious to hear from any current PhD students in the program.  Best of luck to everyone!

7 minutes ago, DankOcean said:

I'm a long-time lurker, but I just wanted to share that I got into the English PhD program at Washington University in St. Louis!  It's a great fit for me.  Thank you all so much for providing this community - it's been so helpful to hear from other people undergoing the same challenges.  

If any other WashU applicant has any questions about my experience, feel free to message me, but I posted everything I know in the results page.  I'd also be curious to hear from any current PhD students in the program.  Best of luck to everyone!

I just finished my undergrad at WashU! So I'm biased, but I am immensely fond of our modernist profs--not to mention the PhD students, many of whom I had classes with, who are great and interesting people.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, Kilos said:

Hey Sleam, welcome! I think most people in this thread have English literature/comp/rhet applications out. I think people applying for MFAs are discussing apps over in the literary arts forums: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/80-literary/ I've got one MFA application out as well, among my English lit/rhet apps, so I check over there every once in a while to see what people are talking about.

Thanks, I just looked over there too. Kinda quiet! It's just a waiting game. Congratulations to all who have been accepted! ?

19 minutes ago, Sleam said:

Thanks, I just looked over there too. Kinda quiet! It's just a waiting game. Congratulations to all who have been accepted! ?

Yeah, waiting game for sure. It's like the perfect volatile mixture of uncertainty, helplessness, and potential euphoria. Gonna lose my damn mind.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:46 PM, imogenshakes said:

I, too, am a longtime lurker, but I'd like to step out of the shadows to claim this one! I was stunned to hear back so early, and with a university-wide fellowship nomination to boot! 

Congrats to those who've heard positive things already...and best of luck to those still waiting! I have 8 more programs to hear from yet, so fingers are still crossed here for more good news.

Congrats on your acceptances! Are you comfortable sharing your stats? Asking for...a friend...

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Congrats on your acceptances! Are you comfortable sharing your stats? Asking for...a friend...

Sure! (Are you talking test scores, GPA, etc? Happy to share, just want to share the right things! Haha)

also, thanks a million!! ?

Edited by imogenshakes

9 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Sure! (Are you talking test scores, GPA, etc? Happy to share, just want to share the right things! Haha)

also, thanks a million!! ?

GREs, GPA, conferences, teaching experience, and such :) Thanks for being willing to share! 

15 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

GREs, GPA, conferences, teaching experience, and such :) Thanks for being willing to share! 

Sure thing! Anything I can do to help set your...friend's...mind at ease ?

BA - double major, 3.97 cumulative GPA, 4.0 in each field.

MA - 4.0 GPA

GRE: 94th percentile verbal, 27th quant, and 94th analytical. Lit Subject 86th; I sent this to all my schools, even those who didn't require it, bc my mentor said it would help my application. 

Both degrees from a third-tier public uni. Was expecting this to be a hinderance when it came to top 50 programs, but must be they don't care as much as I thought.

I had a GAship in my MA, so a year of writing center work, a year of teaching. Took a year between MA and apps, so another year of adjunct teaching in between. I think I had 4 conferences (all at my uni or local), a lecture, a few smaller presentations and roundtables. Also had a really relevant internship last summer, so I think that also helps. 

Hope this is helpful. My application feels very average with the exception of maybe the internship and the teaching experience, and my mentors were hesitant for me to set my heart on top programs, so this has been very surprising for all of us. 

Edit: I should say, re: that last anecdote, that my writing sample, while providing a different angle on a really popular EM text, is NOT my best work. I have been SO worried about it but I just didn't have the time to put into it that I needed to. So that's a major reason, besides the third-tier school and the not-upper 90th GREs, why I thought I was not going to end up in a top 20 or 30 program. i think so much of this is about fit and also chance (who is on the committee, how "relevant" interests are, how many people in your field also applied to the same program, how many they already have, etc.). 

Edited by imogenshakes

19 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Sure thing! Anything I can do to help set your...friend's...mind at ease ?

BA - double major, 3.97 cumulative GPA, 4.0 in each field.

MA - 4.0 GPA

GRE: 94th percentile verbal, 27th quant, and 94th analytical. Lit Subject 86th; I sent this to all my schools, even those who didn't require it, bc my mentor said it would help my application. 

Both degrees from a third-tier public uni. Was expecting this to be a hinderance when it came to top 50 programs, but must be they don't care as much as I thought.

I had a GAship in my MA, so a year of writing center work, a year of teaching. Took a year between MA and apps, so another year of adjunct teaching in between. I think I had 4 conferences (all at my uni or local), a lecture, a few smaller presentations and roundtables. Also had a really relevant internship last summer, so I think that also helps. 

Hope this is helpful. My application feels very average with the exception of maybe the internship and the teaching experience, and my mentors were hesitant for me to set my heart on top programs, so this has been very surprising for all of us. 

Edit: I should say, re: that last anecdote, that my writing sample, while providing a different angle on a really popular EM text, is NOT my best work. I have been SO worried about it but I just didn't have the time to put into it that I needed to. So that's a major reason, besides the third-tier school and the not-upper 90th GREs, why I thought I was not going to end up in a top 20 or 30 program. i think so much of this is about fit and also chance (who is on the committee, how "relevant" interests are, how many people in your field also applied to the same program, how many they already have, etc.). 

Thanks so much again for sharing. I'm amazed that your GRE V and Q are identical to mine! We're also both EM. WEIRD.

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Thanks so much again for sharing. I'm amazed that your GRE V and Q are identical to mine! We're also both EM. WEIRD.

Ha! I was appalled by my quant, but my partner kindly reminded me that I haven't used algebra since my freshman year of undergrad, and again, nobody seems to care. 

I do agree, though, this is weird. Where all did you apply? Have you heard anything yet?