2017 Acceptances

2 hours ago, victoriaaa said:

It seems like Alberta acceptances for my program went out earlier in past years, like end of January, but nothing has been posted this year at all, so I assume nothing has gone out yet for whatever reason. That's weird about the technical glitch, good thing you got it sorted out! Which school are you leaning towards?

Yeah, I loved UBC, it was an amazing school. Gorgeous surrounding nature (UBC-V is on a penninsula in the ocean, so you've got ocean views on three sides with the mountains behind Vancouver also clearly visible), great weather if you don't mind rainy winters, Vancouver's a fantastic city with lots of stuff to do and friendly people, the professors were excellent for the most part, the academic faculties were well equipped, lots of academic and non-academic clubs to join, etc., I could go on forever. Montreal or Ottawa are going to be rough cities to reacclimatize myself to Canada in.

Yeah maybe Alberta's deadline has been moving later and later each year. I'm not sure yet which school I'm leaning towards. I've heard a lot of praise for both UBC and Alberta so the two of them seem pretty ideal. The weather in Vancouver is really swaying me in the direction of UBC though. How about you?

34 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Yeah maybe Alberta's deadline has been moving later and later each year. I'm not sure yet which school I'm leaning towards. I've heard a lot of praise for both UBC and Alberta so the two of them seem pretty ideal. The weather in Vancouver is really swaying me in the direction of UBC though. How about you?

I'm pretty much decided on McGill, but I'll see if Alberta offers me some money. I'm from Ottawa, and I've been living abroad for the last 5 years, so I'd prefer Montreal since I'd be able to see my family more often, not have to fly back and forth, etc. Plus, Montreal just looks like a really fun city, and my POI at McGill sounds really great, so I'd like to work with her. Yeah, the Vancouver weather is hard to beat, you really won't find any better in Canada.

39 minutes ago, victoriaaa said:

I'm pretty much decided on McGill, but I'll see if Alberta offers me some money. I'm from Ottawa, and I've been living abroad for the last 5 years, so I'd prefer Montreal since I'd be able to see my family more often, not have to fly back and forth, etc. Plus, Montreal just looks like a really fun city, and my POI at McGill sounds really great, so I'd like to work with her. Yeah, the Vancouver weather is hard to beat, you really won't find any better in Canada.

From what I've heard, Alberta usually offers quite a bit of money, but I do understand the appeal of being closer to your family after living abroad for a while. I'm in the opposite situation where my family is from Toronto but I would really like to get out of there and go somewhere new because the furthest I've gone from them is in other Southern Ontario areas. Montreal's a great city and McGill is fantastic too!

4 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

From what I've heard, Alberta usually offers quite a bit of money, but I do understand the appeal of being closer to your family after living abroad for a while. I'm in the opposite situation where my family is from Toronto but I would really like to get out of there and go somewhere new because the furthest I've gone from them is in other Southern Ontario areas. Montreal's a great city and McGill is fantastic too!

I've heard that too, so I'm currently pros and consing the two. McGill is winning by a landslide, but money may ultimately trump if I get in and get funding (though the cost difference may disappear with the extra I'd have to pay to fly back and forth for holidays and such, and Alberta's a bit more expensive.) I understand the desire to get away, that's why I moved to Vancouver and then to Japan, but thanks to a major illness in my immediate family a few years ago, I feel like I'd like to be a bit closer for a while. I mean, I'd still be two hours away, but it's a lot closer than I've been for close to 10 years now and Montreal really is winning my heart, too.

Thanks for the kinds words everyone!! I've been thinking a lot about how this happened, and one thing I'm amazed by is how mysterious this whole process still is to me. For instance, I got rejected from UChicago and northwestern (probably Columbia too), but accepted at Berkeley and Hopkins. I still have quite a few schools to hear back from, obviously, but this cycle has just shown me how important fit is for these things, which is what people have been telling me all along.    

McGill rejection came in!
long shot indeed, and congrats to everyone who got in!!!!! be proud!!

on another paranoid note, it is 13:00 Beirut Time, which means some DGS in New York or Baltimore is waking up...

NYU are awfully quiet!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Sunsy said:

Thanks for the kinds words everyone!! I've been thinking a lot about how this happened, and one thing I'm amazed by is how mysterious this whole process still is to me. For instance, I got rejected from UChicago and northwestern (probably Columbia too), but accepted at Berkeley and Hopkins. I still have quite a few schools to hear back from, obviously, but this cycle has just shown me how important fit is for these things, which is what people have been telling me all along.    

Yep! That's my take exactly so far. For my rejections and implied rejections, I took a final close look at the programs (and my SOPs) and realized that they weren't great fits...one of them was possibly a good fit, and another had one POI I'd love to work with, but none of them were institutionally strong in the subfield of my proposed interest. The place I got in, however, very much is... This is also why I have a bit of optimism over some of the decisions that are still to come. Four of what I consider to be my closest fit schools have yet to notify.

Someone asked me the other day what I meant by "fit," and I kind of mumbled and stuttered my way through a long, vague, and amorphous non-answer. It's certainly hard to define, even though you know it when you feel it...

8 hours ago, victoriaaa said:

I've heard that too, so I'm currently pros and consing the two. McGill is winning by a landslide, but money may ultimately trump if I get in and get funding (though the cost difference may disappear with the extra I'd have to pay to fly back and forth for holidays and such, and Alberta's a bit more expensive.) I understand the desire to get away, that's why I moved to Vancouver and then to Japan, but thanks to a major illness in my immediate family a few years ago, I feel like I'd like to be a bit closer for a while. I mean, I'd still be two hours away, but it's a lot closer than I've been for close to 10 years now and Montreal really is winning my heart, too.

Funding is important, but it is by no means the most important factor when it comes to PhD decisions. If you feel that you need to be closer to your family right now, then go with your heart (as cheesy as that sounds). I would still wait on Alberta though before making a final decision because you never know what'll happen!

5 hours ago, KTF87 said:

McGill rejection came in!
long shot indeed, and congrats to everyone who got in!!!!! be proud!!

on another paranoid note, it is 13:00 Beirut Time, which means some DGS in New York or Baltimore is waking up...

NYU are awfully quiet!!!!!!!!

Awww no! I still haven't heard from McGill, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing considering they've been sending out rejections as well now. Maybe they're just doing something like one acceptance and one rejection per day. Anyways, good luck with the rest of them - especially NYU, which you seem to be very excited about! Hopefully you'll heard back from them soon! :)

1 hour ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Funding is important, but it is by no means the most important factor when it comes to PhD decisions. If you feel that you need to be closer to your family right now, then go with your heart (as cheesy as that sounds). I would still wait on Alberta though before making a final decision because you never know what'll happen!

Awww no! I still haven't heard from McGill, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing considering they've been sending out rejections as well now. Maybe they're just doing something like one acceptance and one rejection per day. Anyways, good luck with the rest of them - especially NYU, which you seem to be very excited about! Hopefully you'll heard back from them soon! :)

hehehehe - thank you, and I do hope you're right about Mcgill! let's hope it works out for you!! best of luck!!

and yes, NYU are a very good match, although CMU might as well be the best fit for me so far. What's even more frustrating is that I am coming to the USA from Lebanon, and I will need to know if there would be a potential campus visit from NYU too. I need to plan accordingly !! #third_world_problem

Did anyone hear anything else from Berkeley today? I know a bunch of acceptances went out yesterday, and so I'm starting to get a bit nervous--prolly a rejection at this point, but it isn't official until they send me a message...

Also, anyone know anything about Stanford MTL? 

20763658.jpg

14 minutes ago, ratanegra19 said:

Also, anyone know anything about Stanford MTL? 

Historically, Modern Thought doesn't usually come out until the teens of February. I'm also waiting with baited breath even though it's probably a reach. Good Luck! 

5 minutes ago, Straparlare said:

Historically, Modern Thought doesn't usually come out until the teens of February. I'm also waiting with baited breath even though it's probably a reach. Good Luck! 

Same to you :) 

Congrats to the UConn acceptances today! I've been checking my portal all day and can't help but be annoyed that my status is "APPL" ...Can we not just spare the extra THREE letters to finish that word? Is it some secret code? 'A Perfect Placement, Love' 'Applicant Perfect. Please Let-in' 'Apples Peaches Pears Life' (that last one is just the start of my allergy list, they couldn't possibly know that. OR COULD THEY?)

8 minutes ago, crugs said:

Congrats to the UConn acceptances today! I've been checking my portal all day and can't help but be annoyed that my status is "APPL" ...Can we not just spare the extra THREE letters to finish that word? Is it some secret code? 'A Perfect Placement, Love' 'Applicant Perfect. Please Let-in' 'Apples Peaches Pears Life' (that last one is just the start of my allergy list, they couldn't possibly know that. OR COULD THEY?)

I feel the same way (except the allergy part...)

28 minutes ago, crugs said:

@anxiousgrad do you think UConn is done? You've got rejection implied in your signature, even though they seem to have just started sending out acceptances yesterday...Did you hear somewhere that they're done?

I am assuming it's a rejection because someone got waitlisted; I think it would be really odd to notify someone off the waitlist before notifying everyone who is accepted. But I don't have any inside info or anything, I just function better when I assume the worst and accept it, rather than obsessing. Holding out hope just makes me anxious. Sorry if I scared you!

Hey everyone! So, I'm off to Notre Dame tomorrow for the recruitment weekend and I'm so excited! Was just curious if anyone knows what the timeline on decisions is like for them after the visit? Also, anyone know how many they tend to invite and what the odds are like? They're my top choice and have been wonderful to talk to so far, so keeping my fingers crossed! Really excited about heading there tomorrow and getting to meet everyone there, hopefully it's a great weekend. Saw a few people in here also got invites as well, so looking forward to meeting you guys very soon!

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Nebraska? I saw a couple people were accepted to their MA, but I've not heard anything back otherwise. Last school I'm waiting to hear from now! 

On 2/3/2017 at 6:29 PM, eatthatbee said:

I'm curious if the person who posted about UT - Knoxville meant to post for UT - Austin. I'm waiting for the University of Tennessee and my heart jumped a bit; it also seems a bit early for Knoxville.

Have you heard anything from UTK? I'm waiting as well.

1 hour ago, Mippipopolous said:

Hey everyone! So, I'm off to Notre Dame tomorrow for the recruitment weekend and I'm so excited! Was just curious if anyone knows what the timeline on decisions is like for them after the visit? Also, anyone know how many they tend to invite and what the odds are like? They're my top choice and have been wonderful to talk to so far, so keeping my fingers crossed! Really excited about heading there tomorrow and getting to meet everyone there, hopefully it's a great weekend. Saw a few people in here also got invites as well, so looking forward to meeting you guys very soon!

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Nebraska? I saw a couple people were accepted to their MA, but I've not heard anything back otherwise. Last school I'm waiting to hear from now! 

Looking forward to meeting you! I've heard that it'll only be a few days after the visit, but that's certainly not confirmed -- I've seen that in past years acceptances didn't come until the end of February, so it's probably anybody's guess. Good luck to you, and to everyone visiting!

As I wait to hear back from any of the programs I applied to (a measly six and with patience being a virtue that I have not found yet) and I continue to see the results page, I'm curious if it's ever a good sign to receive an email to check online for the decision? Does anyone know of a situation where this ended happily?

14 minutes ago, Straparlare said:

As I wait to hear back from any of the programs I applied to (a measly six and with patience being a virtue that I have not found yet) and I continue to see the results page, I'm curious if it's ever a good sign to receive an email to check online for the decision? Does anyone know of a situation where this ended happily?

Plenty! In many cases (unless there's phone calls involved in smaller programs) they send out a mass email saying that decisions have been reached. Those who got in get good news. those who didn't... don't. Every program's different though.