2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, loganondorf said:

Looking forward to meeting you! I've heard that it'll only be a few days after the visit, but that's certainly not confirmed -- I've seen that in past years acceptances didn't come until the end of February, so it's probably anybody's guess. Good luck to you, and to everyone visiting!

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow as well! Sounds like a few days is the likely wait time from what I'm hearing then—glad for that! I'm otherwise pinning my hopes on waitlists, so this process could drag on quite awhile then. Really excited for the visit—the campus looks beautiful and looking forward to the interviews. I'm a walking bundle of anxiety in human form right now though haha. Think once I'm there the excitement will have fully taken over though! Should be a good weekend and I'm really happy to have made it to this round. Good luck to you too! 

7 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Funding is important, but it is by no means the most important factor when it comes to PhD decisions. If you feel that you need to be closer to your family right now, then go with your heart (as cheesy as that sounds). I would still wait on Alberta though before making a final decision because you never know what'll happen!

Unfortunately, I'm just entering their MA program right now, so funding may or may not happen! I was told that they give out 10 entrance awards of $5000 to their top 10 applicants, but I'm not sure how big the program is or sure what my odds are. Fingers crossed for a tiny program!

12 hours ago, KTF87 said:

McGill rejection came in!
long shot indeed, and congrats to everyone who got in!!!!! be proud!!

on another paranoid note, it is 13:00 Beirut Time, which means some DGS in New York or Baltimore is waking up...

NYU are awfully quiet!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you get an even better acceptance soon!

3 hours ago, Mippipopolous said:

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Nebraska? I saw a couple people were accepted to their MA, but I've not heard anything back otherwise. Last school I'm waiting to hear from now! 

I was accepted to the PhD program in comp/rhet on Friday via phone. I don't know how far along they are, but an email I received sounded like they might have finished.

Are you Comp or Lit?

2 minutes ago, CrunchyMamademic said:

I was accepted to the PhD program in comp/rhet on Friday via phone. I don't know how far along they are, but an email I received sounded like they might have finished.

Are you Comp or Lit?

Lit! So, haven't seen anyone post about an acceptance for that or rejections, so dunno what the status is on that one. Lots of congrats on the acceptance! And thanks for the info as well. 

3 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Lit! So, haven't seen anyone post about an acceptance for that or rejections, so dunno what the status is on that one. Lots of congrats on the acceptance! And thanks for the info as well. 

Good luck! Maybe lit hasn't finished yet. :) I was also given until March 15th to decide, so if you do end up wait listed you probably won't have long to wait.

Is it naive to hold hope that Berkeley might be sending some more acceptances after yesterday's initial wave? Is there any historical precedent to suggest that Berkeley might release their decision in batches? 

Just read this from Lauren Berlant's book Cruel Optimism, it pretty much sums up how I'm doing right now: "when something you desire is actually an obstacle to your flourishing” (1).

10 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Is it naive to hold hope that Berkeley might be sending some more acceptances after yesterday's initial wave? Is there any historical precedent to suggest that Berkeley might release their decision in batches? 

Just read this from Lauren Berlant's book Cruel Optimism, it pretty much sums up how I'm doing right now: "when something you desire is actually an obstacle to your flourishing” (1).

I actually went back through the year to figure out if Berkeley was a "wave" response or an "all-at-once" response, and they seem to notify all of their accepted candidates on the same day each year, wait list a few days or so later, and the rejections after that. I have hope beyond all rational hope that I'll find an acceptance email sitting in my junk folder. (It's not. I checked it twice.) But after the wait list notifications go out, it's probably safe to call Berkeley an implied rejection and go drag my broken heart through a tub of ice cream :P

Edited by Avalanched

1 hour ago, CrunchyMamademic said:

Good luck! Maybe lit hasn't finished yet. :) I was also given until March 15th to decide, so if you do end up wait listed you probably won't have long to wait.

I just got the email—I've been accepted! Came just a bit ago. Tuition remission, and then the waitlist for a TA position. So, not perfect news, but still super exciting! I think they'd be an awesome fit for me. I'm just so over the moon, my first acceptance! And after getting shutout last year only one rejection this year, so not bad! So excited :)  

6 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

I just got the email—I've been accepted! Came just a bit ago. Tuition remission, and then the waitlist for a TA position. So, not perfect news, but still super exciting! I think they'd be an awesome fit for me. I'm just so over the moon, my first acceptance! And after getting shutout last year only one rejection this year, so not bad! So excited :)  

Yay!!! I'm so excited to meet another potential Husker. :)

Congratulations. I hope the TA-ship comes through, too.

Just got accepted to the Master of Library and Information Science program at University of Western Ontario for May 2017 start!

My contract as an English teacher in Korea ends in March so this makes for a pretty good transition. If anyone has questions about UWO library acceptance please contact me

32 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

19 minutes ago, tanooki said:

Just got accepted to the Master of Library and Information Science program at University of Western Ontario for May 2017 start!

Congratulations to you both!!

Hooray! Congrats to all of the acceptances today! Things are finally starting to pick up. I hope everyone starts to hear positive news soon! 

I got an acceptance letter today from South Carolina. Back when I was limited geographically, they were my top choice, but the offer of funding really confirms my decision to apply more broadly. I was offered tuition remission and a TA-ship, but it's not guaranteed funding; it's renewable, and it depends on the needs of the English Department and my standing in the program whether or not I'd be able to renew it. Needless to say, I'm glad I applied other places, because I've gotten much better offers elsewhere! 

In other news, I heard from the DGS at Davis again today, who told me UC schools are in a partnership and students can take courses for credit at other UC schools. So....maybe, if things pan out, I'll see some of you lucky Berkeley admits in the next few years??

1 hour ago, jungThug said:

I'm at Berkeley now, and a professor of mine who was on the admissions committee told me that all acceptances have been sent out. Sorry.. :(

13 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yep! That's my take exactly so far. For my rejections and implied rejections, I took a final close look at the programs (and my SOPs) and realized that they weren't great fits...one of them was possibly a good fit, and another had one POI I'd love to work with, but none of them were institutionally strong in the subfield of my proposed interest. The place I got in, however, very much is... This is also why I have a bit of optimism over some of the decisions that are still to come. Four of what I consider to be my closest fit schools have yet to notify.

Someone asked me the other day what I meant by "fit," and I kind of mumbled and stuttered my way through a long, vague, and amorphous non-answer. It's certainly hard to define, even though you know it when you feel it...

I need to steal you for my final selection of schools. :P (On a side note: congrats on the Strode waitlist. That is certainly nothing to sneeze at.)

On a side note: This further proves that you shouldn't pay too much attention to rank to determine your chances of acceptance. You may get rejected by a school that accepts 10/100 applicants and may get accepted by one that rejects 300-500 applicants.

3 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Hooray! Congrats to all of the acceptances today! Things are finally starting to pick up. I hope everyone starts to hear positive news soon! 

Congrats on your acceptances! Definitely seems like the news is rolling in. I see in your signature you applied to Iowa—if you get in there and have questions I'd be happy to answer some! I went there for undergrad. It's a really fantastic department, I miss all my professors there tons! Iowa City's pretty great too. 

2 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congrats on your acceptances! Definitely seems like the news is rolling in. I see in your signature you applied to Iowa—if you get in there and have questions I'd be happy to answer some! I went there for undergrad. It's a really fantastic department, I miss all my professors there tons! Iowa City's pretty great too. 

Thank you! I'm so glad things are picking up for everyone! 

Re: Iowa, I'm excited about the program. I'd be going for their strength in book history, for sure! I'll definitely message you if I am accepted there! I'm really glad to hear that you had a great experience, both in the program and in IC. I know basically nothing about Iowa, haha. Thanks for the offer! :)

4 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Re: Iowa, I'm excited about the program. I'd be going for their strength in book history, for sure! I'll definitely message you if I am accepted there! I'm really glad to hear that you had a great experience, both in the program and in IC. I know basically nothing about Iowa, haha. Thanks for the offer! :)

At your current rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see you go 8/8! Looks like you've mastered the fit strategy. =)

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

At your current rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see you go 8/8! Looks like you've mastered the fit strategy. =)

I was thinking the same thing! Channeling @hypervodka it seems! In a situation like that, it's almost a shame that you have to pick just one...though at least it means that you'll make a lot of waitlisted folks very happy! :P

I've seen a number of people here and on the results page receive notices from Maryland--CP and PSU, yet I've not heard from either as of yet. Does anyone know how I should feel about this? I'm not sure whether to relax and let whatever list I might be on work itself out or to fret over the implied rejection.

5 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I took a number of seminars in that area while there, Iowa's great for it for sure! Professor Hooks was one of my absolute favorites during undergrad. And their Special Collections is really great too. You'd be landing in a really good place for that! Definitely happy to answer any questions about the alma mater :) Hope you get in there too! 

20 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Ha, I wouldn't say I mastered it, though fit has to be what it is. I was not confident with my application at all. I thought for sure I'd just get into my backup schools and that Mad/Davis/etc were super long-shots. Especially considering the state of my WS, as confirmed by my mentor (who essentially said "it is what it is, there's not much time to do what needs to be done to it."). 

16 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I was thinking the same thing! Channeling @hypervodka it seems! In a situation like that, it's almost a shame that you have to pick just one...though at least it means that you'll make a lot of waitlisted folks very happy! :P

I don't know who this infamous hypervodka is, but if it means I get eight for eight I'll take it! haha This is also one reason why I'm antsy to get the rest of the info...I don't want to hold onto spots that need to be opened up to others! Especially those who are anxiously waiting. I feel quite guilty about sitting on offers but I also don't want to give them up until I have enough info to make an educated decision. Ugh.

15 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

I took a number of seminars in that area while there, Iowa's great for it for sure! Professor Hooks was one of my absolute favorites during undergrad. And their Special Collections is really great too. You'd be landing in a really good place for that! Definitely happy to answer any questions about the alma mater :) Hope you get in there too! 

Yes. Yes. He is basically the reason I applied to Iowa. That, and that wonderful Book Studies certificate! :P Thanks for the well-wishes! Fingers crossed!

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Well this is an attractive crowd. ;)

Well, I DID get a hot chili pepper on Rate My Professor that one time...soooo... 

(that is not bragging, btw. I hate it so much. I felt gross when my colleague told me about it. haha)

Edited by imogenshakes

4 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I don't know who this infamous hypervodka is, but if it means I get eight for eight I'll take it! haha This is also one reason why I'm antsy to get the rest of the info...I don't want to hold onto spots that need to be opened up to others! Especially those who are anxiously waiting. I feel quite guilty about sitting on offers but I also don't want to give them up until I have enough info to make an educated decision. Ugh.

Well, I DID get a hot chili pepper on Rate My Professor that one time...soooo... 

(that is not bragging, btw. I hate it so much. I felt gross when my colleague told me about it. haha)

Hypervodka did indeed go 8 for 8! I believe she ended up choosing Emory, but all of her schools were top schools. It really was a question of fit for her too -- she had very unique research interests, but ones that meshed well with a lot of top scholars and programs. Honestly, if you have some time to waste, it might be worth it to go back looking through some of her posts from a couple of years ago. There were some other fantastic people in that cohort who did very well as well (at least two of whom still visit and/or post here from time to time), but I remember there being quite a cheering squad for Hypervodka once she was at 4/4 or so...then 5/5...6/6...etc. We'll see if you wind up being this year's Hypervodka!

As for your chili pepper...wear it with pride! I think I mentioned here last week that I got one on a student review. I was very flattered, as I'm not typically what someone would consider "hot"...but then I realized that I would be literally twice that student's age, so the flattery turned quickly to slightly uncomfortable bemusement... :unsure:

29 minutes ago, Pragmatologist said:

I've seen a number of people here and on the results page receive notices from Maryland--CP and PSU, yet I've not heard from either as of yet. Does anyone know how I should feel about this? I'm not sure whether to relax and let whatever list I might be on work itself out or to fret over the implied rejection.

I'd put the odds at about 95% that it's a rejection, sorry to say. I know for a fact that acceptances and waitlists have gone out, which typically means one thing...

Sorry. If it's any consolation (it's not), I'm in the same almost-certainly-rejected-at-UMD boat, with the slight awkwardness of it being my current institution...

Edited by Wyatt's Terps