2017 Acceptances

So...in my state of restlessness I was looking over my application materials and realized I put the wrong school name in my SoP for UCLA!!!!!!! I am dead........

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Do you think they trashed my application? (I feel like I would have if I were on an adcomm)

Thanks @Kilos and @engphiledu! I still have quite a few undecided. I've only received 2/15 official rejections. But some (like Berkeley, Emory, and South Carolina) aren't looking good. I was already obsessing over my email, but now South Carolina has me scouring my mailbox. My roommate thinks I'm bananas. Damn the hellmouth void of assuming you didn't get in, but still having to wait for the rejection letter. 

2 minutes ago, allywally said:

Thanks @Kilos and @engphiledu! I still have quite a few undecided. I've only received 2/15 official rejections. But some (like Berkeley, Emory, and South Carolina) aren't looking good. I was already obsessing over my email, but now South Carolina has me scouring my mailbox. My roommate thinks I'm bananas. Damn the hellmouth void of assuming you didn't get in, but still having to wait for the rejection letter. 

Ugh, I feel your pain there. One of my moonshot schools hasn't announced acceptances or rejections yet, but I'm certain I didn't get in because I didn't get an interview (it was a rogue education program I applied to). Just twiddling my thumbs, knowing I'm out, but not being able to say it. If you've still got 13 schools to go, I'm confident you'll get some good news soon! It's not like I know you or anything, but if you're concerned and motivated enough to have found this place I'm sure your app is strong!

Hi everyone!

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I feel like I know you all already as I've been avidly reading this thread and others for the whole season now. As things are getting closer and closer to D(ecision)-Day I was just wondering if anyone would like to claim those UCLA acceptances? It's the first school I've applied to that's appeared on the results page!

Anyway, lovely to meet you all!

1 hour ago, shoestofollow said:

So...in my state of restlessness I was looking over my application materials and realized I put the wrong school name in my SoP for UCLA!!!!!!! I am dead........

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Do you think they trashed my application? (I feel like I would have if I were on an adcomm)

I'm so sorry this happened!

I did the exact same thing! Not for UCLA, but for KSU. I ended up emailing them to say that I attached the wrong SoP and asked if they would accept a new one. They did, but then I got my acceptance the next day, so I don't think anyone got to read the SoP with the fixed name. 

Honestly, I would not be surprised if UCLA has seen that error before. Submitting applications is really stressful, and I doubt they would write you off for one mistake. 

Edited by mouthfulofstars

Ohhhh nooooo. :(

I don't think they would have trashed your application outright, especially if you're a well-qualified candidate. I read about a guy who got into a top-tier education program after horribly misspelling a professor's name and using the wrong first name in his SoP. I'm sure they don't automatically disqualify you--but for the sake of complete honesty, it probably doesn't look too hot. It miiiight give them the idea that you were just using a template letter, which, if you were on the bubble, might have a negative impact. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it! What's done is done, and I'm sure rest of your SoP/app is just fine! 

I am curious what school you accidentally inserted though. It'd be pretty funny if it was a school that UCLA's department had a rivalry with for some reason.

/internet hug

I am so excited for the UCLA admits (!!!!) eeeeeven though my rejection feels imminent.  I did my undergrad there so I'm happy to answer any questions about the school or the area around it. 

I'm 6/6 for schools over here. Wondering why I thought I deserved to go to a top program? Holding onto hope that the silence from UT Austin is a waitlist and not a rejection. 

I have a deal with myself today where I must complete one housekeeping chore in between every email/GC check. My house is gonna be reeeeeeaaaaaal cleeeeaaaan. 

Happy Friday, everyone! 

9 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I am so excited for the UCLA admits (!!!!) eeeeeven though my rejection feels imminent.  I did my undergrad there so I'm happy to answer any questions about the school or the area around it. 

I'm 6/6 for schools over here. Wondering why I thought I deserved to go to a top program? Holding onto hope that the silence from UT Austin is a waitlist and not a rejection. 

I have a deal with myself today where I must complete one housekeeping chore in between every email/GC check. My house is gonna be reeeeeeaaaaaal cleeeeaaaan. 

Happy Friday, everyone! 

I totally feel you on the rejections. I have been rejected from 3 of my top choices (also pretty difficult to get into/top programs) and I feel really awful about it, but I'm still waiting on some responses. I definitely feel like I should have more carefully selected my schools and had more mid-tier programs in the mix. There's always next year!!!!

13 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

Happy Friday, everyone! 

haha, I'm a tech writer and I'm doing the exact same thing! "Alright, you need to do one illustration or one section between every check." I've been super productive since I implemented this new policy. Better slow down before I run out of work.

Happy Friday back at ya. Don't get too dispirited about your chances--still plenty of schools to go.

2 hours ago, shoestofollow said:

Longtime lurker coming out of the shadows just to say that you're not the only one--I did the same thing in my writing sample for Penn, that is I had "Stanford" in the heading! I blame it all on Pages, which I HATE HATE HATE (:P). But, really, when juggling 10+ documents, these things happen. I wouldn't get down on yourself so much. In case it makes you feel better, when I was considering applying to UCLA but knew that I would have trouble getting one of my letters in by the deadline, I called the department, and the person I spoke to made it seem like they are the most accommodating program ever. He said something along the lines that if an application is missing one or a few parts, they would get in touch with the candidate rather than just throw it out completely because it gives them a chance to view the strongest applications possible. It was surprising to me because I feel like most programs treat us like beggars at the door (not sure if this is necessarily true or a delusion borne out of despair and despondency ), but it sounded like UCLA is trying to approach it more like we are assets. I also did my undergrad there (ultimately why I decided not to apply) and know it's a great program. So best of luck to you and everyone waiting to hear back from them!

50 minutes ago, prow_ess said:

I feel like most programs treat us like beggars at the door (not sure if this is necessarily true or a delusion borne out of despair and despondency )

No I think this is the perfect way to describe it. I'm especially annoyed at programs that I know I didn't get into, but I haven't gotten a rejection from. It's like, to use your metaphor, they didn't even come to the door to tell me there's no room in their inn. So, I'm just going to have to walk away but keep looking over my shoulder in the vain hope that they'll fling the door open and invite me in for a nice meal (eg. stipend)

Edited by JessicaLange

8 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

No I think this is the perfect way to describe it. I'm especially annoyed at programs that I know I didn't get into, but I haven't gotten a rejection from. It's like, to use your metaphor, they didn't even come to the door to tell me there's no room in their inn. So, I'm just going to have to walk away but keep looking over my shoulder in the vain hope that they'll fling the door open and invite me in for a nice meal (eg. stipend)

I promise to tend to their horses (e.g. TA) in exchange for said meal! 

Edited by JeremyWrites

5 hours ago, ChloeCriss said:

I just got an email from Alabama and had a heart attck. Saw the topic and had another one: "Your UA Graduate Application Has Been Referred."

Read it, and was both let down and lifted up:  

"Your application to the English, MA program has been compiled by the Graduate School and referred to the academic department office for their review. 

You will need to contact the department office directly with any questions about their timeline for making admissions recommendations.  For help finding departmental contacts, you can click here.
Best regards,
UA Graduate School Staff"

SO CLOSE. 

63733587.jpg

That meme is SO EXACTLY how that feels. I'm waiting on one that did the same thing! 

And also re: the clean house comment, I'm doing the same thing. Grade a few papers, check email/GC. My device batteries have really been suffering the past few weeks!

Someone asked about Miami of Ohio comp/rhet recently, and from what I know, acceptances are out and the student recruitment is March 8, 9, and 10. Slightly larger cohort accepted this year.

I'm there now for my MA, and I'm happy to answer any questions about the program! We've got some great faculty (Liz Wardle, Jim Porter, and LuMing Mao, to name a few), and there's some interesting work being done in WAC and intercultural/comparative rhetoric.

I've loved every minute of my time here thus far and can't recommend the program enough (okay, shameless plug over. But do pm me if you want to know about the program) 

6 minutes ago, klader said:

Someone asked about Miami of Ohio comp/rhet recently, and from what I know, acceptances are out and the student recruitment is March 8, 9, and 10. Slightly larger cohort accepted this year.

I'm there now for my MA, and I'm happy to answer any questions about the program! We've got some great faculty (Liz Wardle, Jim Porter, and LuMing Mao, to name a few), and there's some interesting work being done in WAC and intercultural/comparative rhetoric.

I've loved every minute of my time here thus far and can't recommend the program enough (okay, shameless plug over. But do pm me if you want to know about the program) 

Do you know if this applies to Literature as well?

18 hours ago, ratanegra19 said:

So, I'm noticing a lot of folks on this thread who refer to being waitlisted, rejected, etc by Boston College in their signatures--does anyone have any info on when they sent out Lit acceptances this year? I haven't heard a word about acceptance, rejection, or waitlisting, and their online portal just tells me that my application is "complete". I don't want to bug the department, but I'm also a bit perplexed. Help?

I got my acceptance via email on the 27th, and an official offer via post there during this week. My status on the portals remains the same also. Its possible they have different timelines for different subfields, but at this point I'd guess you're under consideration for the MA if you don't already have one.

44 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

I finally got my rejection from UChicago! I feel so much better having been officially notified. I can't take this 'implied rejection' nonsense.

Got mine too and feel the same!

In other news, I was told my "in review" status for Austin means my application IS still under consideration and that they're waiting for the first round offer folks to make their decisions. But they could not confirm that it was a waitlist... hmmmm.... April 15th is feeling lightyears away.

I got into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's English MA program yesterday! Only partial funding right now, but I'm "high" on the waitlist for the full funding. 

I didn't think that I'd get in anywhere due to a poor GPA (3.02), but this is the second school I've heard back from (I was snap rejected from Ohio State about a month ago). It really takes a lot of the pressure off waiting for the rest of the rejections to roll in!

Now I just need to respond to their Admissions email without sounding like a moron...