2017 Acceptances

16 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Congratulations! 

14 minutes ago, claritus said:

Congrats! The program at Riverside looks glorious—I mean, reading Samuel Delaney with Fred Moten??? Could it get any better?

Thanks! I actually learnt about Riverside after reading copious amounts of Moten's work (and listening to almost every available lecture of his on YouTube). The program is really quite amazing. On the flip side, I have the issue of having to pick between three amazing programs (not complaining though!). March will be a whirlwind of decision making that i'm abundantly grateful to have. 

10 hours ago, shoestofollow said:

So...in my state of restlessness I was looking over my application materials and realized I put the wrong school name in my SoP for UCLA!!!!!!! I am dead........

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Do you think they trashed my application? (I feel like I would have if I were on an adcomm)

I actually know of someone who did this on a job application to a tenure-track professorship...and got it anyway. I mean, yeah, it doesn't look awesome, but there's the off chance that they won't even notice--when they skim, they're skimming for the "meat", not for any of the condiments (to use a weird and possibly gross metaphor). Hang in there!

6 hours ago, Caien said:

I got my acceptance via email on the 27th, and an official offer via post there during this week. My status on the portals remains the same also. Its possible they have different timelines for different subfields, but at this point I'd guess you're under consideration for the MA if you don't already have one.

Oh boy...I'll have an MA by June, so probably an implied rejection at this point :/ I really wish they'd TELL us these things, though...

Thanks for the info! 

Hi, everyone! This is my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for a while! I was told about GF from a friend (another discipline), & I almost wish they had not said a word. This is an IRL photo of me descending into "refresh madness." I'm living vicariously through everyone right now. Oh, & congrats to all of you that have been accepted! :D

alice-falling-down-rabbit-hole-1cp1iga.j

3 hours ago, Caien said:

@claritus are you the Brown poster who said they were shut out last year? I ask cause I think we should start a club :P But seriously, I've been thinking those of us who managed to turn our applications around should do a thread on how we changed strategies once all the results are in, to help out future applicants. I remember there was a poster last year who struck out and then was accepted to Columbia the following year, and seeing that really helped me stay positive.

That was me! I was active on this site a couple years ago for my masters application, but have only been lurking this year. I think that's a great idea! 

The Notre Dame visit was amazing! Faculty were incredibly kind and amazing to talk to, interviews were really relaxed and went well, and all the applicants were so nice! We bonded so fast I wish we could all just get in haha. I'm definitely pretty emotionally invested now, cause it'd be a perfect fit here, but even if I don't get in it'll be really nice to know that spot is going to someone great! Best of luck to all my fellow interviewees :) 

hey everyone! congrats on all the acceptances!

lurker, first post, yadda yadda. have been accepted to Brown (Comp Lit) and Cambridge (English), and just found out that I'm waitlisted at Stanford for English. Stanford is pretty up there for me, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/knowledge/stats they can drop about how likely it is to get accepted off the waitlist? or maybe there's already a post about this? sorry if so!

also this month is purgatory

That odd UMich result on the board ("I emailed them and they sent me a rejection") has me a little weirded out... :huh:

Also, I checked my portal, and it now shows my recommendation letters as having been received on February 8th. Obviously that's a technical quirk, but still... Hmm!

24 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

That odd UMich result on the board ("I emailed them and they sent me a rejection") has me a little weirded out... :huh:

Also, I checked my portal, and it now shows my recommendation letters as having been received on February 8th. Obviously that's a technical quirk, but still... Hmm!

I applied to Fordham and an identical result was posted right before the UM one. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it seems highly unlikely that this person emailed both schools and received their rejection back from both of them. I'm not sure I trust those entirely.

Edited by eatthatbee

6 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

I applied to Fordham and an identical result was posted right before the UM one. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it seems highly unlikely that this person emailed both schools and received their rejection back from both of them. I'm not sure I trust those entirely.

Good to know. Thanks!

Hello all!

I have been lurking for the majority of the season thus far, but I got some responses that may be of use to any Comp/Rhet people who applied to schools in the Southeast.

On Thursday, I got an email from the Grad Director at Clemson who mentioned the advisory committee was meeting to discuss who to admit to the program. No information as far as a timeline goes, but I guess it's still in progress for anyone still hoping for that program.

Additionally, I called the grad school at University of South Carolina about an oddity on my application portal and ended up speaking with someone from the English department. It turned out I was accepted (hurray!), but the comp/rhet acceptances are coming through postal mail like the literature acceptances, so some comp/rhet acceptances should be making their way through the mail soon.

Congrats to everyone's acceptances and successes thus far!!

12 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

Real-time footage of me:

Preview?imageID=4661679&generatorTypeID=

Since they take a relatively fair number of applicants each year (12-15, per their website), it seems unlikely that none of those accepted would be on GC. It's possible, certainly, but I would bet that they haven't admitted anyone and are just running a little behind this year! 

That said, I have the same fear about the schools I haven't heard back from, so it might be a sort of inevitable neurosis for us gradcafe-ers. :P

6 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Since they take a relatively fair number of applicants each year (12-15, per their website), it seems unlikely that none of those accepted would be on GC. It's possible, certainly, but I would bet that they haven't admitted anyone and are just running a little behind this year! 

That said, I have the same fear about the schools I haven't heard back from, so it might be a sort of inevitable neurosis for us gradcafe-ers. :P

Oh it's totally unlikely, but this kind of thing would have to happen eventually, just based on probability and stuff. Maybe I should pop over to the Math forum to see if any of them can let us know the likelihood of such a thing happening...

5 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

Oh it's totally unlikely, but this kind of thing would have to happen eventually, just based on probability and stuff. Maybe I should pop over to the Math forum to see if any of them can let us know the likelihood of such a thing happening...

The answer is 42. Because the answer is always 42.

16 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

I wonder what it's like over there. I wonder if they'd look at our forum and think we are peculiar, illogical creatures. In my mind they are all either Mr Spock or C-3po. 

61227657.jpg

Edited by LouisePlease
needed visual aid

1 hour ago, JeremyWrites said:

Real-time footage of me:

Preview?imageID=4661679&generatorTypeID=

i. am. so. with you.

umass amherst is probably my top choice for a variety of fit-related reasons, and hearing absolutely nothing from them is so so frustrating. i promise if i hear anything i'll post right away!

46 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

i. am. so. with you.

umass amherst is probably my top choice for a variety of fit-related reasons, and hearing absolutely nothing from them is so so frustrating. i promise if i hear anything i'll post right away!

I'm with you both. From last year's stats, it looks like we will hear soon.