2017 Acceptances

11 minutes ago, Avalanched said:

Anyone else check their USC portal after one poster said they'd received their rejection letter from a random check? Anything there? Mine is empty, but I can't decide if that's a good sign or if the Graduate Office is simply taking some time to upload them all. *crosses fingers nervously*

Hi! I'm wondering the same thing. I applied to University of Southern California as well and mine is empty. Here's to hoping for good news. :o

YESSSSS just got my first acceptance from UMass Amherst!!!!!!!!! 

the email wasn't even the actual acceptance letter, but was from the writing program looking to set up interviews for teaching associateships. however, the first line of the email is: "I was recently informed you were admitted into your graduate program.  Congratulations!"

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!

8 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

I finally got my first acceptance! UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA!!! After three rejections from US schools, this really feels like a dream! I'm so relieved!!! :D

8 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

My heart just burst into a million pieces for the both of you! Major congratulations to a couple of awesome, earnest GCers!!

12 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

the email wasn't even the actual acceptance letter, but was from the writing program looking to set up interviews for teaching associateships. however, the first line of the email is: "I was recently informed you were admitted into your graduate program.  Congratulations!"

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!

Me too, me too! Go us!!! Did you check the portal, because mine still just says applied.

(Did you have a moment of wondering if it was sent by mistake like I did?) 

Edited by orphic_mel528

25 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

You should probably specify which USC. I'm guessing you mean University of Southern California, but the USC is also (confusingly) used for University of South Carolina. If you mean the latter, then it looks like acceptances went out last week...

Ah yeah I should have specified. I went to South Carolina for my lit MA and got used to "USC" in application circles *never* meaning Carolina, so I'd just call it "SC"! I saw the acceptances and chuckled that they're still using the post :) 

4 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Me too, me too! Go us!!! 

(Did you have a moment of wondering if it was sent by mistake like I did?) 

haha yes! i had to read it over several times to reassure myself. congrats and yes, go us!!!

What's worse than getting an implied rejection from Northeastern and UMASS within a few minutes of each other?

Accidentaly sending your staff of fifty student workers the link to the Northeastern application portal when you meant to send them a link to a scheduling form. 

Whoops. 

Seriously, though, congrats to those who got into both those programs. They're awesome and you totally deserve it. I'm very thankful to probably have somewhere to go in the fall, so I'm glad opportunities rolled in to you. 

17 hours ago, shoestofollow said:

For all my fellow NYU applicants, here's hoping we hear good news this week!

16 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Same for my fellow UMich / Princeton / Rutgers applicants. Even if it's nothing but rejections (for me), I'm excited about the prospect of more results this week!

14 hours ago, phoebusrising said:

Same here! For both Princeton and Harvard! And for everyone who hasn't heard back from schools that have already sent out some responses.

I'm a little panicky about getting all rejections but I'd honestly rather known than not. 

Hear hear, it's been a week and a half since I've had a peek from any program and I'm getting all twitchy and nervous :wacko:

3 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

What's worse than getting an implied rejection from Northeastern and UMASS within a few minutes of each other?

Accidentaly sending your staff of fifty student workers the link to the Northeastern application portal when you meant to send them a link to a scheduling form. 

Whoops. 

Seriously, though, congrats to those who got into both those programs. They're awesome and you totally deserve it. I'm very thankful to probably have somewhere to go in the fall, so I'm glad opportunities rolled in to you. 

I once sent a professor an email asking him to pick up some eggs and a bottle of chianti, and ended it with, "Love you googly bear." His first name is the same as my husband's, last name is the same initial, I was sending the email from my phone while distracted, etc., etc. The Perfect Storm. 

Professor replied: "I would, Schmoopsie Poo, but I have to teach a class in 10 minutes. XOX"

I nearly died. 

Thank you for the congratulations, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. UNL is a fantastic program and I'm sure you'll do well there.

3 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I once sent a professor an email asking him to pick up some eggs and a bottle of chianti, and ended it with, "Love you googly bear." His first name is the same as my husband's, last name is the same initial, I was sending the email from my phone while distracted, etc., etc. The Perfect Storm. 

Professor replied: "I would, Schmoopsie Poo, but I have to teach a class in 10 minutes. XOX"

I nearly died. 

Thank you for the congratulations, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. UNL is a fantastic program and I'm sure you'll do well there.

I really appreciate that story -- I'm sure we've all done things like this! 

And thanks! You're gonna kill it at Amherst. 

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I nearly died. 

I've done that phone thing before. I was trying to get a young hotshot professor to be my advisor during her first year teaching at an R1 university. She was an attractive young woman who was basically my age (because she was a new hire and I'm non-traditional). I fumbled my iPhone and sent her a gigantic animated facebook Kissy Face emogi that made smoochy sounds and heart emoticons that covered the screen. I quickly typed  a very panicked "OMG fat fingered cold keyboard / Ignore that please." Her response (a day later) was "Haaaa that is the weirdest giant emoticon ever." 

She decided to become my advisor and has been invaluable in my application process. All's well that ends well. Still, I can empathize with sending the wrong thing to the wrong person. What an awful feeling.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, FeetInTheSky said:

Whoops. 

for what it's worth, since you're applying with a BA, if they offer you an MA position you might not be getting the same TA interview email that's going around today. so i wouldn't count yourself out just yet.

oh, and i did finally get the damn rejection letter in the mail from pitt today.... just glad i didn't check the mail until AFTER i heard from amherst!

24 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I nearly died.

Hahaha I just about died laughing at this. Hooray for good-natured faculty! I once sent an email to a professor asking about a "stupid," meaning "stipend" of course. he never replied to the email, so I have to assume he recognized the typo as an autocorrect ?

I see there are many more acceptance since I last logged on - UCLA, Northeastern, a few more Riverside, Alabama...hoorah! Congrats to everyone! I have a feeling we are about to get slammed this week and next though. February is half over already so...come on UCSB!

btw, does anyone who posted rejections from Iowa have more info? I haven't heard anything but also thought it was weird that two rejections and nothing else were posted really early in February...

Edited by imogenshakes

On 2/8/2017 at 10:34 PM, mcgatay said:

Hey! Does anyone have a clue when University of Minnesota MA acceptances/decisions will start rolling out? Anxiously awaiting. 

Nevermind, got the news today - 

Waitlisted at UMN 

Ahhhh! I finally got accepted somewhere! I was starting to think I was going to receive a slew of rejections but NO, there is at least ONE acceptance!

I got into Texas A&M's PhD program!

Part of me was like: Maybe you should email them just to double check that they didn't get it wrong somehow.

But I am sooooo happy, I just finished running around my building screaming my head off.

5 minutes ago, Silabus said:

Ahhhh! I finally got accepted somewhere! I was starting to think I was going to receive a slew of rejections but NO, there is at least ONE acceptance!

Part of me was like: Maybe you should email them just to double check that they didn't get it wrong somehow.

But I am sooooo happy, I just finished running around my building screaming my head off.

Congrats! I'm sure there are more to follow!

11 minutes ago, Silabus said:

Congrats! I'm thrilled for you! Way to go!

12 minutes ago, Silabus said:

congrats! there is too much good news today and not enough upvotes!