Clinical/Counselling Psychology Applicants Canada 2017

spg5552000

Hello! Somehow, this year, no one seems to have started a Canadian Thread for applicants for Clinical and Counselling Psychology. I figured, I would start!

Applied to: University of Manitoba (Clinical), Queen's (Clinical), McGill (Counselling), New Brunswick (Clinical) and Wisc-Madison (Masters/PhD - Counseling)

No, news yet except for Wisc-Madison PhD - rejected, but one of my referees didn't put in my reference in time (a week after the deadline)

Let's start talking because I think we all need an outlet and to find out from each other what is happening in the world of invites, acceptances and rejections.

(PS, if someone does know about another link - 'cause I cannot find my fellow applicant peers)

I’ve applied to York MSW, U of T OISE Master’s of Education in Counselling and Psychotherapy, and U of Ottawa Master’s of Education in Counselling Psychology 

I’ll definitely post when I hear back from schools 

Hello. I've applied to 6 clinical programs: Manitoba, UBC, Regina, Lakehead, Ottawa, and Ryerson.

Ryerson I assume is out of the picture (on their info page, they say that they will invite short-listed applicants to a weekend event by no later than January 15th, or something along those lines).

Ottawa emailed me saying that they have updated my file and that there may have been a technical glitch. I have no idea exactly what to say to that... Though my application file says that my official transcripts have not been received, despite them being mailed to the university in early November... So that's great - have asked them what's going on and hope that this is an error on their end.

Manitoba (the one that I care about the most by far): My prospective supervisor emailed me recently, as she was unable to access my GRE scores (I then informally sent her my scores via email to help her out). This is odd because my application file does say that they have been received. Apparently this has happened to a few applicants, in case anyone is reading this and is worried about U of M. I suppose it's a good sign to hear that she's looking over it (I assume this means it may have passed an initial review by the adcom)? Or maybe that's being too optimistic - I don't know. If somehow something went wrong and my application is disqualified due to issues with the transfer of GRE scores... Well, that will be the last straw, ETS!

Other universities: Nothing to report yet.

Becoming a bit more unsettled each day, because I know of a few people who applied to experimental psych programs who will soon be flying out for interviews. I'm trying to convince myself that it's just different for clinical. Hope everyone is enjoying this day-today anxiety, just as I am!

Edit: There actually is another thread: 

Edited by Noctiv

Thanks for starting this thread! I have applied to 3 clinical programs (Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Ottawa) and 4 counselling programs (OISE, Calgary, Alberta, and McGill). So far, I have heard that Dalhousie had sent out e-mails to students. In terms of counselling programs, no word yet but looking at the results page of the previous years it seems like Feb-Mar is when people started to hear back so its possible they start contacting students later in the year than clinical programs.  

Side note for all of the posters here! I welcome you and there is also another thread for Clinical applicants for Canada as well - Look up Clinical Canadian 2017. I could not find it for the life of me and happened across it the day after I started this thread.

I still look forward to more discussions here. :)

Good luck to everyone!!!!!

On 1/17/2017 at 6:09 PM, Noctiv said:

Hello. I've applied to 6 clinical programs: Manitoba, UBC, Regina, Lakehead, Ottawa, and Ryerson.

Ryerson I assume is out of the picture (on their info page, they say that they will invite short-listed applicants to a weekend event by no later than January 15th, or something along those lines).

Ottawa emailed me saying that they have updated my file and that there may have been a technical glitch. I have no idea exactly what to say to that... Though my application file says that my official transcripts have not been received, despite them being mailed to the university in early November... So that's great - have asked them what's going on and hope that this is an error on their end.

Manitoba (the one that I care about the most by far): My prospective supervisor emailed me recently, as she was unable to access my GRE scores (I then informally sent her my scores via email to help her out). This is odd because my application file does say that they have been received. Apparently this has happened to a few applicants, in case anyone is reading this and is worried about U of M. I suppose it's a good sign to hear that she's looking over it (I assume this means it may have passed an initial review by the adcom)? Or maybe that's being too optimistic - I don't know. If somehow something went wrong and my application is disqualified due to issues with the transfer of GRE scores... Well, that will be the last straw, ETS!

Other universities: Nothing to report yet.

Becoming a bit more unsettled each day, because I know of a few people who applied to experimental psych programs who will soon be flying out for interviews. I'm trying to convince myself that it's just different for clinical. Hope everyone is enjoying this day-today anxiety, just as I am!

Edit: There actually is another thread: 

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SFUFTW said:

Any news from anyone? 

I interviewed for UNB's clinical program on Wednesday, they said the committee was meeting Monday (today) to make final decisions, and we would hear Tuesday or Wednesday! Waiting impatiently.

Hello friends!

I applied to six BC schools for Counselling Psychology: UBC, UVIC, UNBC, TRU, SFU, and Adler. Haven't heard back from any yet :(.

Did anyone else apply to these schools?

On 2/7/2017 at 11:23 AM, Pandas said:

Hello friends!

I applied to six BC schools for Counselling Psychology: UBC, UVIC, UNBC, TRU, SFU, and Adler. Haven't heard back from any yet :(.

Did anyone else apply to these schools?

Hi there! 

I applied to UBC and SFU, haven't heard back yet! 

• 1 month later...