Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

11 hours ago, TwoTimesTolstoy said:

Does anybody have any ideas regarding UCR? I haven't heard of any waitlists or rejections, only the two fellowship acceptances (perhaps they had a university-wide deadline to meet and so made fellowship offers early?).

From the UCR Phil Dept website (emphasis mine): 

While offers vary due to state funding constraints, the Philosophy Department generally provides up to five years of financial support to incoming Ph.D. students. This typically consists of a full fellowship the first year and TA appointments for several years after that. Students are encouraged to seek additional funding through other fellowships and grants.

I wasn't told anything beyond this in the acceptance email or any following correspondence.

Edited by Nichi

I've been accepted to MA Programs at New Mexico and Oregon, though I applied for a PhD. Still have to hear back from Boston U

4 hours ago, sleepingsusurrus said:

Congrats! How'd you hear, if I may ask?

Personal email from Oliver Sensen at 11:43pm Saturday night. He is the director of graduate studies, but also my POI, so perhaps he connected with me directly before the other acceptances are released. 

3 hours ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Personal email from Oliver Sensen at 11:43pm Saturday night. He is the director of graduate studies, but also my POI, so perhaps he connected with me directly before the other acceptances are released. 

I'll keep hope then!

2 minutes ago, ThatDeleuzeGuy said:

Just got admitted to the PhD at University of South Florida. 6th alternate for funding atm. I got the email around 10 minutes ago.

Congrats. I hope that funding pulls through. I was down there for FEAST two years back, and the grad students I met seemed happy. 

59 minutes ago, apophantic said:

Rejected to all 7 Phd programs to which I applied, yet accepted to Boston College's MA. Already have an MA however, so I'm not sure whether it is prudent to go deeper in debt for a second MA, when ultimately I could be shut out from Phd programs after getting the BC MA. I did notice that, although not all of the BC students have their info listed, 7 of the Phd students that did have their credentials listed entered after getting a BC MA, so that is encouraging.

...If anyone happens to have info on this sort of thing (moving from a department's MA to Phd program), it'd be much appreciated.

Not to be a downer, but it's worth considering that those students may have just picked up an MA along the way.

Very excited!!!

Just had a Skype meeting with Oliver Sensen at Tulane. Will definitely be accepting my offer from them. We have exactly the same vision for my project, for me in the program, and ultimately career-wise afterwards. 

Hope this helps people on the waitlists at Western Ontario, Tennessee, Boston U, Syracuse, Purdue, and Baylor, although I don't know about my exact position on those waitlists. 

Very happy to have made a final decision and be done with the stress of this season! 

Thank you to everyone for their solidarity and support this season!  

Edited by Schopenhauerfanboy

3 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Very excited!!!

Just had a Skype meeting with Oliver Sensen at Tulane. Will definitely be accepting my offer from them. We have exactly the same vision for my project, for me in the program, and ultimately career-wise afterwards. 

Hope this helps people on the waitlists at Boston U, Syracuse, Purdue, and Baylor, although I don't know about my exact position on those waitlists. 

Very happy to have made a final decision and be done with the stress of this season! 

You are a rockstar. Congrats! May your program be as awesome and fulfilling as you hope it to be!

3 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Very excited!!!

Hope this helps people on the waitlists at Boston U, Syracuse, Purdue, and Baylor, although I don't know about my exact position on those waitlists. 

Congratulations! Glad that you had such a positive meeting! 

18 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Very excited!!!

Hope this helps people on the waitlists at Western Ontario, Tennessee, Boston U, Syracuse, Purdue, and Baylor, although I don't know about my exact position on those waitlists. 

Congratulations! 

29 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Very excited!!!

Ahhhh! Congrats dude!  So happy the decision making process is over for you, and NOLA is incredible!

10 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Thank you everyone! 

Now comes the hard part - telling my supervisor at my current PhD program that I'm leaving. Any suggestions? 

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, did you get the letters from the faculty members at your current PhD program?