Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

Has anyone gotten a FORMAL decision letter from Brandeis yet? I got the informal email from the department nearly two weeks ago and I thought I would've gotten the letter by now. (I'm also anxious about the financial aid since that will affect my final decision about whether to take the offer.)

6 hours ago, akraticfanatic said:

Has anyone gotten a FORMAL decision letter from Brandeis yet? I got the informal email from the department nearly two weeks ago and I thought I would've gotten the letter by now. (I'm also anxious about the financial aid since that will affect my final decision about whether to take the offer.)

I got my official letter sometime early last week via the portal, attached was the financial aid package from the school. 

1 hour ago, sleepingsusurrus said:

I got my official letter sometime early last week via the portal, attached was the financial aid package from the school. 

Very snarky response ultimately saying that they would look into it. Excuse me for emailing an admissions officer a question about admissions... 

11 hours ago, akraticfanatic said:

I got mine last week (also via the portal) as well. It had all the funding info in it.

2 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

I got mine last week (also via the portal) as well. It had all the funding info in it.

I'm really anxious now :( 

When I applied to UMass Amherst for my undergrad, I was rejected, despite the fact that I had already taken continuing ed classes there with a decent GPA. I also worked on campus (not that that means I should be accepted in itself, but it shows I'm not a troublemaker). I later got an informal letter from the head of the program I'd applied to, saying that they really wanted to accept me and had fought for it, but the school's admissions committee wouldn't let them. So it wouldn't be the first time this has happened...

29 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

I'm not sure what they would do. I think that the actual graduate school looks into people's applications for accuracy and disciplinary background after the department recommends a person for admission but before the actual admission happens. I just thought maybe that was the reason for the delay. You said that the problem before wasn't the department but was rather the actual graduate school, and so I just thought that that may be a possibility. If you don't have any skeletons in your closet then I wouldn't worry too much. It is probably coming.

I mean, I answered all the questions and I didn't lie about anything, and I've never gotten in trouble at school. I hope it gets resolved! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Got accepted for the Bioethics MA at NYU 3 days after I requested to be considered for fun. Was given a $10,000 scholarship, but fees still amount to a whopping $40,000 or so. Doubt I'll be going (because $$), though I could, in theory, be a 'trojan' at the NYU philosophy department if I did the MA. :P 

Edited by eigenname

1 hour ago, eigenname said:

Got accepted for the Bioethics MA at NYU 3 days after I requested to be considered for fun. Was given a $10,000 scholarship, but fees still amount to a whopping $40,000 or so. Doubt I'll be going (because $$), though I could, in theory, be a 'trojan' at the NYU philosophy department if I did the MA. :P 

It should be against the law to charge that much for an MA. I'm not sure NYU's behavior in this case is substantively different from the recruiting behaviors of the "for-profit" schools. Does the program have any kind of placement history, just out of curiosity?

Edited by hector549

11 hours ago, hector549 said:

It should be against the law to charge that much for an MA. I'm not sure NYU's behavior in this case is substantively different from the recruiting behaviors of the "for-profit" schools. Does the program have any kind of placement history, just out of curiosity?

They don't have a page specifically for 'placement' history, but they do have a list of past students and what they have gone on to do. I looked through them and found that most people took the MA as a terminal degree, going on to do other stuff. Some went into law or medicine. The closest to (and the only one really relevant to) academic philosophy is someone who is doing/did a PhD in Bioethics at Cambridge (UK). 

Still hoping for my Irvine waitlist to magically collapse into an offer - then I don't have to worry about all these other options! 

1 hour ago, matchamatcha said:

In at Indiana HPS after my inteview this morning. Throws a huge (but happy) wrench in my decision plan.

Whoa, immediately after the interview! Congratulations!