Official Interview Thread 2017

16 hours ago, Murr57 said:

So I have an interview this week, and decided to brush up on the school and their program. As I was reading their FAQ's, I noticed this about interviews : "Each candidate will participate in a "proficiency" measure of knowledge of the basic sciences (as defined by American Speech-Language-Hearing Association)."

What do you think this means?? Will I get a test or something about the ASHA courses that are required?

In my undergrad classes we were given a "proficiency"-like test a few times with basic level speech path questions that everyone should know (taken from the praxis) with simple questions about fundamental frequency, laryngeal muscles, things like that. That would be my best guess unless they're legit going to give you a science test which seems odd to me

51 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

It sounds like in might just be a general overview of the required courses (bio, psychology stats) I wouldn't worry too much. :)

or this! 

5 minutes ago, jmk said:

Got an interview request from SF State today!! Super psyched as it's my alma mater, and the closest school to my parents' house! 

I got an interview at SF State too! I'm not sure if I'm going in person yet. Having to be a part of the interview via Zoom sounds really awkward, haha. 

BUT flights are outrageously expensive so I'm considering a road trip.

12 minutes ago, CheekySpeechy said:

Me too! So excited. Did you enjoy doing your undergrad at SF?

I loved it! The department was really like a community, and the professors are really passionate about their work. There are a lot of clinical options, and if you are into AAC or Autism there are specialty grants. The only con was cost of living, and how there's never many days over 70 degrees! 

10 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

I got an interview at SF State too! I'm not sure if I'm going in person yet. Having to be a part of the interview via Zoom sounds really awkward, haha. 

BUT flights are outrageously expensive so I'm considering a road trip.

Last year I heard that the group interview is actually broken into small groups of 3-5, if that makes anything sound a little less awkward. 

Hi all! 

I also received an email moving on to stage II for San Francisco State.  I would really like to be present for the in person interview. However, it's sorta short notice to plan a trip  right now. It would be super pricey. Does anyone know if doing the interview through Zoom would count against our favor? Also do you guys know the stats of people moving on to stage II and actually getting accepted? 

Edited by Maridele

5 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Hi all! 

I also received an email moving on to stage II for San Francisco State.  I would really like to be present for the in person interview. However, it's sorta short notice to plan a trip  right now. It would be super pricey. Does anyone know if doing the interview through Zoom would count against our favor? Also do you guys know the stats of people moving on to stage II and actually getting accepted? 

Honestly, I don't think it would count against your favor. They can't expect everyone to make it halfway across the country for a short notice interview. They wouldn't give you an the Zoom option if they would dock you for it, IMO. But it would be nice to check out the campus if that's something that's important to you :) Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Hi all! 

I heard last year about 70-90 were invited and around 35 will be accepted for SFSU. They heard back about two weeks after the interviews.

25 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Anyone have any idea how long the SFSU interview will last? 

I don't know..this is my first graduate school interview... ahh What time is your interview?

Joining in to say I was also invited to interview at SF State! This is my top choice because of the location and opportunities for learning more about autism and AAC :) Good luck to everyone else who will be interviewing for this program! My interview is next Thursday. Super nervous, but excited to have even been selected for interviews!

2 minutes ago, SLPadawan said:

Interview at Cal State San Marcos this Saturday! :)

What undergrad material are you guys focusing your studying on? I know it'll be pretty content based...

Hi! Congrats on the interview!! I've had two interviews so far, one at West Virginia University and one at Grand Valley State University. 

When people say "content-based" I don't really think you need to be studying anything specific from your undergrad courses. They won't give you like a multiple choice test or ask you about the anatomy or anything like that.

What they will do "content" wise is just see how well you can incorporate what you've learned in all of your undergrad courses in a "big-picture" scenario. For example, they may give you a hypothetical client and a situation and ask you how you would handle that situation. Things like this that make you think "big picture", but also incorporate many different things you leaned in undergrad.

I mostly just reminded myself about the clinical aspect of things, building rapport with clients. what that means and how you might do it, problem solving strategies, behavior modification, stuff like that.

If you paid attention in undergrad you'll do fine! It's all stuff you know like the back of your hand!

Good luck :)

2 minutes ago, katelynmarie said:

Hi! Congrats on the interview!! I've had two interviews so far, one at West Virginia University and one at Grand Valley State University. 

When people say "content-based" I don't really think you need to be studying anything specific from your undergrad courses. They won't give you like a multiple choice test or ask you about the anatomy or anything like that.

What they will do "content" wise is just see how well you can incorporate what you've learned in all of your undergrad courses in a "big-picture" scenario. For example, they may give you a hypothetical client and a situation and ask you how you would handle that situation. Things like this that make you think "big picture", but also incorporate many different things you leaned in undergrad.

I mostly just reminded myself about the clinical aspect of things, building rapport with clients. what that means and how you might do it, problem solving strategies, behavior modification, stuff like that.

If you paid attention in undergrad you'll do fine! It's all stuff you know like the back of your hand!

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice! This will be my first interview and I'm just about pulling my hair out from all the stress. 

I talked to someone who got accepted to San Marcos who said they were required to transcribe words and were asked specific content based questions (i.e. what do you know about the theories of language?), in addition to an essay writing portion. So nerve wracking! 

Good luck to you getting accepted to the programs you interviewed for! :)

15 hours ago, Maridele said:

I don't know..this is my first graduate school interview... ahh What time is your interview?

Mine is at 10 AM on Monday. Hoping it doesn't last long since I'll have to drive back to San Diego that day. I can't miss more than one day of work. 

2 hours ago, SLPadawan said:

What undergrad material are you guys focusing your studying on? I know it'll be pretty content based...

I'd like to know what everybody is studying too! I haven't had a chance to start yet and not sure I will have time to so I'm pretty nervous about that interview.

2 hours ago, SLPadawan said:

6 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Mine is at 10 AM on Monday. Hoping it doesn't last long since I'll have to drive back to San Diego that day. I can't miss more than one day of work. 

I'd like to know what everybody is studying too! I haven't had a chance to start yet and not sure I will have time to so I'm pretty nervous about that interview.

I think it'll be more "big picture" like stated above and incorporative materials. 

Just had my interview today at LIU Post. Dr. Rubinstein was such a pleasure to meet! For anyone who will be interviewing there, I say take it easy. She makes you feel very comfortable and at ease. I also had to do a writing sample 

Edited by SpeechLaedy

I received emails inviting me to interview at Mercy and Lehman (back to back days of interviews, so that should be interesting to say the least). I've heard it's always a good idea to ask questions to show your interest etc so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what types of questions could be good to ask. I'm of course going to do my research on both programs to go in well informed, and hopefully in the process find questions i might want to ask, but I also figured it might be helpful to post for other applicants on here who may be wondering the same thing.

would it be seen as too bold of a question, or as though I didn't do my own reeearch, if a potential question I ask my interviewers is what they believe sets their respective program apart from others?

38 minutes ago, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I received emails inviting me to interview at Mercy and Lehman (back to back days of interviews, so that should be interesting to say the least). I've heard it's always a good idea to ask questions to show your interest etc so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what types of questions could be good to ask. I'm of course going to do my research on both programs to go in well informed, and hopefully in the process find questions i might want to ask, but I also figured it might be helpful to post for other applicants on here who may be wondering the same thing.

would it be seen as too bold of a question, or as though I didn't do my own reeearch, if a potential question I ask my interviewers is what they believe sets their respective program apart from others?

I don't think that's too bold a question at all! I think asking what they believe sets it apart makes it fine to ask. Obviously you know why you think it's special enough to apply to, you're looking for their perspective on what makes the program great.

I usually ask for info on how the clinical placements/externships are chosen and how much input I would have (if any). At one open house I attended they implied that students would be responsible for finding their own externships in the near future. That info was nowhere on their website and they definitely would not have volunteered the info if I didn't ask. Another school told me they have a big committee that looks closely at each student and their strengths/weaknesses when assigning placements (that's the ideal, IMHO).

Edited to add: Congrats on your interview requests! My friend went to Mercy for SLP a few years ago (c/o 2012) and really liked it. Good luck :) 

Edited by ElKel87