Official Interview Thread 2017

28 minutes ago, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I received emails inviting me to interview at Mercy and Lehman (back to back days of interviews, so that should be interesting to say the least). I've heard it's always a good idea to ask questions to show your interest etc so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what types of questions could be good to ask. I'm of course going to do my research on both programs to go in well informed, and hopefully in the process find questions i might want to ask, but I also figured it might be helpful to post for other applicants on here who may be wondering the same thing.

would it be seen as too bold of a question, or as though I didn't do my own reeearch, if a potential question I ask my interviewers is what they believe sets their respective program apart from others?

None of the schools I applied to require interviews but, at the graduate school fairs I've attended one thing I like to ask is when you start clinic (unless this info is on their website.) For one school I applied to, everyone starts second semester to ease them into things. Some schools have you start immediately, and for others, it's a toss up (some students start first semester, some start second.) 

Maybe you could also ask about what kind of teacher/graduate assistantship opportunities they offer? If you're interested in that. Good luck at your interviews! :) 

18 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

How are everyone's interviews going? Any stories?

I have one that will maybe reassure people. I interviewed at one of my top choices and part of the process involved two short writing assignments to be completed while we waited for our interviews with faculty and the campus tour. I won't get into too much detail, but basically my nerves got the best of me, I misread the instructions and screwed up a few aspects of the writing assignments (not the actual content, things like how to properly use the scrap paper). Not a huge deal but I realized too late to do anything about it and it was definitely embarrassing.

Anyway about a week later I was accepted by that school so it all worked out in the end! But my advice is make sure to read all of the directions for any writing assignments before you start. Sounds obvious but you'd be amazed how your mind goes blank sometimes when you're in nerve wracking situations.

19 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

How are everyone's interviews going? Any stories?

I had a writing prompt and interviewed with 2 faculty members. Definitely nerve wracking and was surprised to be asked only 2 things about myself (What makes you a good SLP and why did you choose our school?) Was asked 3 situational questions that was really difficult for me. I didn't feel like I did too well considering I stumbled on those situational questions and realized in the end that I rambled in circles only to not really answer the question asked... This was last Friday and haven't heard back from them yet. 

We'll see! Good luck!

1 hour ago, ElKel87 said:

I have one that will maybe reassure people. I interviewed at one of my top choices and part of the process involved two short writing assignments to be completed while we waited for our interviews with faculty and the campus tour. I won't get into too much detail, but basically my nerves got the best of me, I misread the instructions and screwed up a few aspects of the writing assignments (not the actual content, things like how to properly use the scrap paper). Not a huge deal but I realized too late to do anything about it and it was definitely embarrassing.

Anyway about a week later I was accepted by that school so it all worked out in the end! But my advice is make sure to read all of the directions for any writing assignments before you start. Sounds obvious but you'd be amazed how your mind goes blank sometimes when you're in nerve wracking situations.

I'm glad that had a happy ending! It kind of makes you wonder what the point of the writing assignments were, though. Congratulations!

23 minutes ago, imunster said:

I had a writing prompt and interviewed with 2 faculty members. Definitely nerve wracking and was surprised to be asked only 2 things about myself (What makes you a good SLP and why did you choose our school?) Was asked 3 situational questions that was really difficult for me. I didn't feel like I did too well considering I stumbled on those situational questions and realized in the end that I rambled in circles only to not really answer the question asked... This was last Friday and haven't heard back from them yet. 

We'll see! Good luck!

I did the same thing during an interview with situational questions. Halfway through answering one I asked her to repeat the question and realized I was barely answering it. My mind was just like "try to say words until this is over". It is so stressful to try to retrieve everything you've learned on the spot like that; I'm glad it isn't just me...  I hope you hear something soon!

Edited by StPaulCCC

@StPaulCCC I think it was mainly to show that our writing skills are up to par. The content and organization of my essays was fine, at least in my opinion, so I passed the test in that sense. I just proved that I can't follow directions haha. One of my friends also suggested (when trying to make me feel better before I was accepted) that some people pay others to write their SOP essays for them, so maybe they wanted to make sure everyone could stand on their own. That seems crazy to me, but who knows!

6 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

@StPaulCCCOne of my friends also suggested (when trying to make me feel better before I was accepted) that some people pay others to write their SOP essays for them, so maybe they wanted to make sure everyone could stand on their own. That seems crazy to me, but who knows!

Oh my god I've never thought about that.. Definitely understand now, good point! That would come back to haunt them once they are actually in the program. 

Just had my interview with Texas Tech. The online conferencing program didn't seem to work when they called! We ended up having to Facetime. I didn't feel as confident with this interview as I had my in-person one with Pacific. I've realized I definitely want to stay West Coast though, so blessings in disguise? haha. 

@maurmaur How did your interview go with WSU?  Did they say anything about when you'd hear about acceptances/rejections?  I'm assuming by this point if I haven't gotten an interview there yet then I am not going to get one at all.  It's just funny getting an interview to EWU and not WSU.  Good luck! 

I have a Skype interview w LIU post at 6:30 in the morning tomorrow , haha. I chose 9:30am Eastern time as originally when I was e-mailed about the interview, I was told the Skype option was down so I was planning to fly. 

Then SFSU's group interview in the afternoon! Busy Monday, hahaha. 

I have an interview with Sacred Heart.  I was wondering if anyone has any information on this interview? Is it more content based or personal?

Thank you!

On February 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM, kate775 said:

Anyone have their interview at Sacred Heart yet and could provide any insight?

Wondering the same thing!! 

On 3/3/2017 at 7:26 PM, SLPsingballs said:

@maurmaur How did your interview go with WSU?  Did they say anything about when you'd hear about acceptances/rejections?  I'm assuming by this point if I haven't gotten an interview there yet then I am not going to get one at all.  It's just funny getting an interview to EWU and not WSU.  Good luck! 

Sorry for taking a few days to respond!

So they said they would be interviewing for the next week and then all meeting together to go over the apps and stuff. And I think it went pretty well, I honestly have no clue though!

21 hours ago, jmk said:

I have a Skype interview w LIU post at 6:30 in the morning tomorrow , haha. I chose 9:30am Eastern time as originally when I was e-mailed about the interview, I was told the Skype option was down so I was planning to fly. 

How'd the Skype interview go? I'm curious if you had to do a writing assignment too 

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

How'd the Skype interview go? I'm curious if you had to do a writing assignment too 

It was quick! The interviewer asked me to talk about myself, and then asked me a clinical scenario question. She then went on to ask my GPA's and GRE's. I did not have a writing assignment. I told her I scored a 5.0 both times I took the GRE- not sure if that had anything to do with it. 

On 3/5/2017 at 9:01 PM, jmk said:

Wow, you had quite the day yesterday! Hope you're getting a well-deserved break today and that your interviews went well! How was SFSU's interview? I have mine on Thursday and I'm starting to get jittery! 

24 minutes ago, pbandj said:

Wow, you had quite the day yesterday! Hope you're getting a well-deserved break today and that your interviews went well! How was SFSU's interview? I have mine on Thursday and I'm starting to get jittery! 

The interview was unlike any of my others. 6 of us were present (though from fellow friends their groups ranged from 3-7). We were asked to introduce ourselves, and then asked ZERO! questions about ourselves. That's how the interviews were done last year as well (I've heard). We were given a scenario, and asked to discuss it as a group for 15 minutes, then spend 5 minutes reaching a group conclusion. That was the end of the interview. The floor was opened up if students had questions about the program, then it was handshake/leave. I believe 3 faculty are present at all interviews. 

Overall, the faculty are looking to see how one collaborates. I was able to chat with my group before in the waiting room, and felt like we collaborated well. 

Feel free to PM me if you want a number to text in case you have questions (I'm a current student @ SF). I have clinic from 1-4 on Thursdays, and the clinic rooms are (literally) right next to the conference room the faculty are using for interviews in case you get lost or just want a backup contact! 

2 hours ago, jmk said:

The interview was unlike any of my others. 6 of us were present (though from fellow friends their groups ranged from 3-7). We were asked to introduce ourselves, and then asked ZERO! questions about ourselves. That's how the interviews were done last year as well (I've heard). We were given a scenario, and asked to discuss it as a group for 15 minutes, then spend 5 minutes reaching a group conclusion. That was the end of the interview. The floor was opened up if students had questions about the program, then it was handshake/leave. I believe 3 faculty are present at all interviews. 

Overall, the faculty are looking to see how one collaborates. I was able to chat with my group before in the waiting room, and felt like we collaborated well. 

Feel free to PM me if you want a number to text in case you have questions (I'm a current student @ SF). I have clinic from 1-4 on Thursdays, and the clinic rooms are (literally) right next to the conference room the faculty are using for interviews in case you get lost or just want a backup contact! 

That is so interesting! I had a friend who interviewed for Fall 2016 and said they were also given a scenario, although I had no idea there were zero other questions. Thank you so much, this makes me feel a lot better! I think I will PM you so I have someone familiar with the campus to contact in case I get lost. I've never been to SFSU and I think getting lost worries me more than the interview itself lol. Thank you so so much! Fingers crossed for you!! :) 

23 hours ago, jmk said:

It was quick! The interviewer asked me to talk about myself, and then asked me a clinical scenario question. She then went on to ask my GPA's and GRE's. I did not have a writing assignment. I told her I scored a 5.0 both times I took the GRE- not sure if that had anything to do with it. 

Nice! Yeah, it did have to do with your AW score. I hear that those who score 4.0 and up don't have to write anything. So it's good you never had to do that! Good luck! 

Hi everyone,

Just got done with a group interview at SFSU! It went just like @jmk said, except we didn't even have a chance for questions! However, I did briefly talk with one of the faculty members during our handshake and followed up our conversation with an email. Hopefully I get to demonstrate my interest in the program that way, because I feel like without the opportunity to ask questions the faculty members would find it difficult to gauge your interest. I felt like my group collaborated well together. However, the situation given to us seemed pretty black and white. I expected that there would be more disagreement within the group, but we came to a consensus pretty quickly. I'm curious if most group interviews that present a situation are similar? Does anyone have a story about a group that had disagreements for resolving a situation?

6 hours ago, jmk said:

@pbandj  I wonder if they were re-using situations. My situation was very black and white as well, and agreement was reached within the first five minutes. 

Same here. One of the girls afterward told us the situation one of her friends received during her interview, and the solution also seemed obvious. It just makes me wonder how they can determine collaboration skills or communication style when everyone agrees so quickly?