Venting Thread

Ok so has anyone else been noticing that someone has been spamming the results page with questions and comments about the U of T English PhD program? I don't think they've figured out the forum option of this website and I therefore doubt they'll see this but it has to stop. I would tell them on the results page but I don't want to contribute to the spam by replying constantly. I'm not sure if this really qualifies as venting but it just keeps popping up when I check the results page and it's been increasingly getting on my nerves.

9 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Ok so has anyone else been noticing that someone has been spamming the results page with questions and comments about the U of T English PhD program? I don't think they've figured out the forum option of this website and I therefore doubt they'll see this but it has to stop. I would tell them on the results page but I don't want to contribute to the spam by replying constantly. I'm not sure if this really qualifies as venting but it just keeps popping up when I check the results page and it's been increasingly getting on my nerves.

Yeah, it has been happening for this whole cycle for a whole host of programs. I've just been reporting them as spam every time I see them, and they're usually cleaned up pretty quickly. Still annoying though, I agree.

1 minute ago, Old Bill said:

Yeah, it has been happening for this whole cycle for a whole host of programs. I've just been reporting them as spam every time I see them, and they're usually cleaned up pretty quickly. Still annoying though, I agree.

Yeah, I just reported it all as spam so hopefully it gets cleaned up quickly too.

I only applied to five schools, and only for MA, but three of them haven't sent me any response, and it's driving me crazy. 

I got into two programs, and I am eternally grateful. but Villanova said they'd contact me about funding in March (ambiguous much?), and the not knowing is killing me. 

Seriously, Syracuse University, Ole Miss, and Purdue, where you at? 

im-not-anxious.jpeg.80a40ff0158e1f51485e4a2b513c00a7.jpeg

Mini vent: I've gotten into 4/5 of the English MA programs I have applied to but I am still waiting on Georgetown, which is frustrating because I know they have sent out acceptances, funding offers, and even a rejection according to the results page. I emailed them twice and received no information. Leaning towards other programs but I don't want to commit without knowing all of my options for sure! 

2 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

Received official acceptance from Stony Brook. Last school I am waiting for is University of Florida. I cannot believe it is almost over!

Congratulations! Are you venting about this? :P

3 hours ago, greenhousegoth said:

Mini vent: I've gotten into 4/5 of the English MA programs I have applied to but I am still waiting on Georgetown, which is frustrating because I know they have sent out acceptances, funding offers, and even a rejection according to the results page. I emailed them twice and received no information. Leaning towards other programs but I don't want to commit without knowing all of my options for sure! 

FWIW, when I applied to Georgetown two years ago, I was accepted in late April after I had already written them off and accepted another offer. My guess is that they use an unofficial waitlist. Though it's certainly possible that you might, when I was accepted that late it was without funding. 

4 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

I only applied to five schools, and only for MA, but three of them haven't sent me any response, and it's driving me crazy. 

I got into two programs, and I am eternally grateful. but Villanova said they'd contact me about funding in March (ambiguous much?), and the not knowing is killing me. 

This meme is perfect! I am so sorry though! :( also annoyed that Villanova hasn't emailed about funding

4 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

Mid-March for Villanova, hang in there :) Well-- "within the next 2 weeks"

Edited by Yanaka

2 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

FWIW, when I applied to Georgetown two years ago, I was accepted in late April after I had already written them off and accepted another offer. My guess is that they use an unofficial waitlist. Though it's certainly possible that you might, when I was accepted that late it was without funding. 

I know that Georgetown does have an official waitlist, I was on it last year, but they're sort of majorly terrible at communication in that I literally never heard from them again

17 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

weirdly enough, almost right after i posted that i got an email saying that the adcom had "recommended my application for admission" but was told to wait for an official letter. yeah it doesn't look like I'm being considered for funding, CMU here I come!

So it's my birthday, and I woke up to an email from Purdue.. 

"Happy Birthday from the Purdue Graduate School, Apply Now" with contact info. 

I know it was sent because I signed up for info way back in the beginning, but it was just so harsh, man. 

No one has posted results from the MA programs that I am waiting on, negative or positive, but the hope is killing me and harshing my birthday vibe. 

99761504702494d66ce10e04f5606768-1.jpg.3a574dfaec249c8dbce59c49de195b67.jpg

40 minutes ago, Scarlet A+ said:

I know it was sent because I signed up for info way back in the beginning, but it was just so harsh, man. 

No one has posted results from the MA programs that I am waiting on, negative or positive, but the hope is killing me and harshing my birthday vibe. 

HAHAH, this happened to me a couple years ago, the same year I applied to Purdue's MA -- my bday is in mid-February, right in the midst of acceptance season, so I had 10 heart attacks when I got their message.  Hahah, so I feel you on this, mate!! :lol:

In other news, what the heck is the deal with the 10,800 applicants to Yale's program on the results page?! Is this true??? (Idk what the right thread is for this exactly, but venting works!)  I'm just so curious, like to their English PhD specifically, to their GSAS in general?? Dang... 

Edited by cheldorado

9 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

I'm so sorry for the agony that this must have caused you, but it really did make me laugh out loud. 

Also, happy birthday!

8 hours ago, cheldorado said:

In other news, what the heck is the deal with the 10,800 applicants to Yale's program on the results page?! Is this true??? (Idk what the right thread is for this exactly, but venting works!)  I'm just so curious, like to their English PhD specifically, to their GSAS in general?? Dang... 

Hopefully I can clarify some things. This is what my rejection letter from Yale said:

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 10,700 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, so we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

14 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Hopefully I can clarify some things. This is what my rejection letter from Yale said:

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 10,700 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, so we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

Thanks @ThePomoHipster!  :lol: I figured it must have been the whole GSAS, otherwise it'd be crazy! Guess that's one way in which you can't take a rejection too personally! (Looks like you got into 2 great schools though - congrats!)

Vent of the Day: No one else who applied to Duquesne's English PhD seems to be active on here this year. I know from the DGS that they offered admission to four people and I am second on the waitlist. Since I have no info on who was accepted, however, I can't gauge how likely they are to decline their offers. I just have to be patient. I don't wanna.

3 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Thanks @ThePomoHipster!  :lol: I figured it must have been the whole GSAS, otherwise it'd be crazy! Guess that's one way in which you can't take a rejection too personally! (Looks like you got into 2 great schools though - congrats!)

No problem! And thanks for the congratulations! Yeah, I was pretty bummed about some of the other rejections earlier on in the application process, but when I saw how many people applied to those places (especially Yale), it became difficult to take them personally. :P

1 hour ago, la_mod said:

Didn't even get into the MA program I applied to as a backup! I am beyond devastated. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I'm so sorry :((( 

I think there are still programs accepting applications, and if not--take the year to buff up your writing sample/statement of purpose and research more programs. This is not the end!! 

Can I ask how many programs you applied to? Just the one MA and several PhD I'm assuming? (I did the same)