Interview don'ts

PS7654

Hi everyone,

I'm not an expert on this, but my program had interviews this week and I wanted to pass along some feedback. For the most part, I think the faculty were pretty happy with everyone. But I heard a few things. Examples:

An applicant who skype interviewed (which already puts you at a disadvantage, let's be honest), who barely had anything to say to anyone and no real questions. I'm hoping the person just decided they weren't into this program and checked out. Your interviews should definitely not be ending before the specified time because you don't have anything to say! This is a very bad sign!

An applicant who never interacted with any other applicants. Like at meals, social functions, etc. just totally kept to him/herself. Talked to program members only when spoken to. It's one thing to be shy, but seeming like you avoid other people is not good!

Otherwise, we saw a lot of people who interviewed really well and seemed really nice. The faculty in my program focus on research fit for the most part and quirky things here and there are fine, but when things like those above happen they can really derail someone's chances. Don't let that be you!

Best of luck to all of you!

35 minutes ago, PS7654 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm not an expert on this, but my program had interviews this week and I wanted to pass along some feedback. For the most part, I think the faculty were pretty happy with everyone. But I heard a few things. Examples:

An applicant who skype interviewed (which already puts you at a disadvantage, let's be honest), who barely had anything to say to anyone and no real questions. I'm hoping the person just decided they weren't into this program and checked out. Your interviews should definitely not be ending before the specified time because you don't have anything to say! This is a very bad sign!

An applicant who never interacted with any other applicants. Like at meals, social functions, etc. just totally kept to him/herself. Talked to program members only when spoken to. It's one thing to be shy, but seeming like you avoid other people is not good!

Otherwise, we saw a lot of people who interviewed really well and seemed really nice. The faculty in my program focus on research fit for the most part and quirky things here and there are fine, but when things like those above happen they can really derail someone's chances. Don't let that be you!

Best of luck to all of you!

I am that applicant who rarely has questions (oops)....mostly I've memorized everything about the program from the website before the interview, and generally only want to know about things like mentorship style/collaboration. 

It's also really disheartening to hear that applicants who Skype interview are automatically penalized for it. It's just not always possible to physically get there for the interview...if you work full time. 

@FacelessMage from what I heard this week, the lack of questions was definitely interpreted as lack of interest. The vast majority of people I talked to personally did have some actual questions about the program, the faculty, the city, or something. So I don't know that it's mandatory for applicants to have a lot of questions to fill out an interview, but it seems pretty typical. As far as the Skype thing, I get that it's a challenge for applicants. However, it's super different to do a Skype interview vs. the full in-person experience. I'm not sure my program has ever accepted a Skype-onlyinterview, honestly. It's viewed as a very big gamble.

@buttercup8d I don't know, questions seem good! I wouldn't ask stuff that might get a negative answer, but wanting a lot of information about a place you might invest a few years in seems smart! I don't remember anyone saying they felt like applicants were poking holes, if that helps.

1 hour ago, PS7654 said:

@FacelessMage from what I heard this week, the lack of questions was definitely interpreted as lack of interest. The vast majority of people I talked to personally did have some actual questions about the program, the faculty, the city, or something. So I don't know that it's mandatory for applicants to have a lot of questions to fill out an interview, but it seems pretty typical. As far as the Skype thing, I get that it's a challenge for applicants. However, it's super different to do a Skype interview vs. the full in-person experience. I'm not sure my program has ever accepted a Skype-onlyinterview, honestly. It's viewed as a very big gamble.

@buttercup8d I don't know, questions seem good! I wouldn't ask stuff that might get a negative answer, but wanting a lot of information about a place you might invest a few years in seems smart! I don't remember anyone saying they felt like applicants were poking holes, if that helps.

For what it's worth, a 1st-year grad student at the program where I just interviewed said he did a Skype-only interview and "everything went wrong" (internet issues, dog barking in the background, etc) and he still got the offer. So it's possible!!

As some other "Don't do"s... this is standard stuff, but really nail down the specifics of your interests and motivations before the interview. I was shocked to hear some applicants in my group interviews say they weren't sure this is what they wanted to do, or they really didn't know what they wanted to research... honesty is good, but don't sell yourself as the uncertain, directionless candidate.

So something that can really show (especially when you're meeting with current graduate students in the program) is if you're overly competitive to the point of being cold to the other applicants or trying to suss them out or stuff like that. 

I was chatting with a grad student in a program I interviewed for and she was actually really candid with me about how she was so happy I seemed focused on the program and myself rather than what all the other applicants were doing, and that it meant something when applicants (even those interviewing for the same POI!) made an effort to be nice and considerate to each other. 

One of my previous mentors gave me what I think is the best piece of advice I've ever gotten about your entire graduate career: "In the end, you're only in a race with yourself." It's really stuck with me and that's the mentality I've gone into my interviews with. If the POI wants you, they want you! So just go in and be you, rather than trying to be better than everyone else. 

Also! Remember that the interview is a bi-directional process. Not only are you being interviewed by the program, but you're interviewing the program to see if it's a good fit for you! I found once I let go of worrying about what everyone else was doing, I was able to relax and just be myself. And man that felt super great when I was able to connect with the POI and even share a laugh or two over our common research interests!

Just my two cents:)

2 hours ago, buttercup8d said:

I recently interviewed at a "prestigious" program where that competitive nature seems to be applauded...

A student literally said to me "we're only being more honest about being competitive, and we ARE the smartest" and that she always compares herself to others (didn't seem to think this was an issue)

That is completely false based on the other schools I've interviewed at. To say the least, this arrogant, neurotic and holier-than-thou attitude were complete turn-offs to me...They seemed so desperate to prove....

what exactly?

Still trying to shake off the "you're welcome and you should be thankful you're here" interview process I just went through. I have such a bad aftertaste in my mouth ?

That kind of immaturity rubs me the wrong way :/ I know many POIs who would boot someone like that very quickly to preserve the harmony in their lab. I meanfirnedly competition to bring out the best in each other sure but that sounds unpleasant and compensatory.

3 hours ago, buttercup8d said:

I recently interviewed at a "prestigious" program where that competitive nature seems to be applauded...

A student literally said to me "we're only being more honest about being competitive, and we ARE the smartest" and that she always compares herself to others (didn't seem to think this was an issue)

That is completely false based on the other schools I've interviewed at. To say the least, this arrogant, neurotic and holier-than-thou attitude were complete turn-offs to me...They seemed so desperate to prove....

what exactly?

Still trying to shake off the "you're welcome and you should be thankful you're here" interview process I just went through. I have such a bad aftertaste in my mouth ?

I think it really depends with the culture of the lab. I imagine some programs are more laid-back and do not think these types of folks would gel well with the program. Especially with smaller cohorts where there are only 2-3 in it. 

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

That kind of immaturity rubs me the wrong way :/ I know many POIs who would boot someone like that very quickly to preserve the harmony in their lab. I meanfirnedly competition to bring out the best in each other sure but that sounds unpleasant and compensatory.

I'm STILL trying to shake off the gross-ness of it all. Really goes to show that the name of the school doesn't mean anything when their students lack humility and courtesy. Also, this is a helping profession (clinical/counseling psychology) so it makes me think how they process information/behave when they're with their clients 

1 hour ago, buttercup8d said:

I'm STILL trying to shake off the gross-ness of it all. Really goes to show that the name of the school doesn't mean anything when their students lack humility and courtesy. Also, this is a helping profession (clinical/counseling psychology) so it makes me think how they process information/behave when they're with their clients 

Not that this justifies anything, but it is possible s/he is going more into research.

As someone wanting to do more research, I can tell you that researchers can often have a grandiose sense of self-worth. That's why a balance of the scientist-practicioner model is so important, IMO. ;)

That being said, I've met some interesting purely clinical folks over the years and they, too, can be overly egotistical. Sure, you are great for helping out others, but c'mon. 

19 hours ago, almondicecream said:

Yeah I interviewed for a social program last week and the grad students talked about some people who stood out in past interview weekends - people who were very cold and competitive (think Corinne on this season's Bachelor).

I just had to say that your Bachelor reference was amazingg hahaha

On 2/11/2017 at 3:55 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

Not that this justifies anything, but it is possible s/he is going more into research.

As someone wanting to do more research, I can tell you that researchers can often have a grandiose sense of self-worth. That's why a balance of the scientist-practicioner model is so important, IMO. ;)

That being said, I've met some interesting purely clinical folks over the years and they, too, can be overly egotistical. Sure, you are great for helping out others, but c'mon. 

They wanted to do clinical work. I would never refer a client to them for ethical concerns

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2017 at 1:23 AM, researchjunkie said:

So something that can really show (especially when you're meeting with current graduate students in the program) is if you're overly competitive to the point of being cold to the other applicants or trying to suss them out or stuff like that. 

I was chatting with a grad student in a program I interviewed for and she was actually really candid with me about how she was so happy I seemed focused on the program and myself rather than what all the other applicants were doing, and that it meant something when applicants (even those interviewing for the same POI!) made an effort to be nice and considerate to each other. 

One of my previous mentors gave me what I think is the best piece of advice I've ever gotten about your entire graduate career: "In the end, you're only in a race with yourself." It's really stuck with me and that's the mentality I've gone into my interviews with. If the POI wants you, they want you! So just go in and be you, rather than trying to be better than everyone else. 

Also! Remember that the interview is a bi-directional process. Not only are you being interviewed by the program, but you're interviewing the program to see if it's a good fit for you! I found once I let go of worrying about what everyone else was doing, I was able to relax and just be myself. And man that felt super great when I was able to connect with the POI and even share a laugh or two over our common research interests!

Just my two cents:)

Such helpful advice and thanks for sharing this!