Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

54 minutes ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I got admitted to UBC with TA/RA funding. So excited. The wait is finally over. 

Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats man. Enjoy the jungle.

2 hours ago, KeepCalmAndCompile said:

Hi. Can you give me any details about profs at Toronto?

I expressed interest in working with Dr. Sanja Fidler and Dr. Raquel Urtasun... 

Thanks!

I did not apply there so cant tell anything about it. Sorry and best of luck mate :)

1 hour ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Congratulations dude, can you tell about your profile? 

2 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Congratulations mate! Was it an email? Were you assigned a supervisor with the acceptance?

7 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Congratulations!! Were you interviewed or contacted by anyone before?

24 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

Anyone's got an idea how big the last rejection batch was at Waterloo?

I only see 2 rejects, but someone said it was a mass one. 

Well anyone here who can tell what does it means when a professor, who took interview more than a month ago, suddenly removes from skype? :(

47 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

Anyone's got an idea how big the last rejection batch was at Waterloo?

It was significant, if not a mass one. I personally knew a couple of folks who got rejected. They didn't post on results section though, that's why there are only 2 rejects there. 

20 minutes ago, smfz said:

I only see 2 rejects, but someone said it was a mass one. 

Well anyone here who can tell what does it means when a professor, who took interview more than a month ago, suddenly removes from skype? :(

Oh boy...That doesn't sound very positive. But it might be because he won't need to call you on Skype anymore coz he'll have you in his lab soon ??

4 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

31st March is tonight for McGill. Let's see if they keep their word of sending all CS decisions by March end or they postpone it (again for the second time).

McGill sending CS decisions, two of my friends got rejected. 

2 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Oh boy...That doesn't sound very positive. But it might be because he won't need to call you on Skype anymore coz he'll have you in his lab soon ??

Well, That didn't end good. Got an email from that professor starting "Unfortunately...." :(

Just now, Jeffs said:

Do they notify via email?

Yup. They also send an auto-generated rejection letter in pdf form. However they don't mention any reason besides the usual "too many good applications for too few spots" and such. 

2 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Yup. They also send an auto-generated rejection letter in pdf form. However they don't mention any reason besides the usual "too many good applications for too few spots" and such. 

Thanks. Are there also any acceptances? My status still says submitted.

Edited by Jeffs

1 minute ago, guitarHeroAn said:

None that I know of. Mine says Submitted as well... All people I know got rejected.  

Alright. Then let's keep hanging on for the time being.

4 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

Alright. Then let's keep hanging on for the time being.

Fingers crossed. They did keep their word of sending decisions by March end. But most seem to be rejections until now. Hope acceptances come later in the day. (It's night here so I'm going to kiss my sleep goodbye and stay glued to my screen all night). 

6 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Fingers crossed. They did keep their word of sending decisions by March end. But most seem to be rejections until now. Hope acceptances come later in the day. (It's night here so I'm going to kiss my sleep goodbye and stay glued to my screen all night). 

LOL(don't do that).

3 hours ago, smfz said:

I know I'm somewhat gonna start getting branded devils advocate here, but this is almost certainly a reject.  

If a professor has decided to accept you, you won't need to ask here, you'll know for sure.  They're busy people so avoid ambiguity when they wanna admit a candidate. If you feel uncertain, it's cos they haven't decided to accept you.  

Everyone who I know that got backed by a professor, the professor in question was very direct. 

#LetsBeReal